Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mismark?

We had a beautiful litter not long ago and noticed that 2 black females have white. 1 has a VERY tiny white spot on her chest (size of a pencil tip), so I know that will probably vanish as she gets older. The 2nd little girl has a blaze on her chest, HUGE bolo's on all 4 paws (other puppies also have bolo marks) and oddly, the tip of her tail is white. I know the bolo marks and white on the chest is not a mismark, but what about the tip of her tail? Do you think the white on her tail would disappear with age? I wonder because what if this little girl ends up being our pick!

Thank you in advance!

Re: Mismark?

My first litter of 7 - 5 had had white at the bottom on their paws and they have all disappeared before they turned 9 months old. No white on their chest or tail.

If she's your pick puppy, I'd keep her and wait and see. Most small white spots disappear.

In my most recent litter, I had a male with a large white blaze. one side solid, one side salt and pepper. the salt and pepper side has disappeared by 12 weeks. Conformationally speaking he is otherwise drop dead gorgeous otherwise. So, I will wait and see.

In a previous litter I had a white tip on the tail on a yellow, and it never did go away. (It could have disappeared in a Twizzle trim). The family I placed him with find it very endearing, and came back for another pup out of this litter.

Thank you for your replies! I did think about the twizzle and the ability of it being trimmed, but still wondered what others thought about the possibility of it fading with age. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Thanks again!

I had a litte years ago. One black had a small white spot on her chest and larger than large bolos on her front. No white on tail. The bolos stayed ,the chest spot vanished. She was of course my pick pup. Bred to anothet By and all the pups had significant bolos that went up the back of the wrist. By 8 weeks: they weren't very noticeable. She's just now had a litter of 3-all with bolos up the back of the wrist and now at 18 days old: disappearing. If only hers would have vanished!! She still finished her CH up here and she's a lovely girl!
When you say large -how huge do you mean. We should compare our pedigrees one day!!

Tina @ Tyric
I had a litte years ago. One black had a small white spot on her chest and larger than large bolos on her front. No white on tail. The bolos stayed ,the chest spot vanished. She was of course my pick pup. Bred to anothet By and all the pups had significant bolos that went up the back of the wrist. By 8 weeks: they weren't very noticeable. She's just now had a litter of 3-all with bolos up the back of the wrist and now at 18 days old: disappearing. If only hers would have vanished!! She still finished her CH up here and she's a lovely girl!
When you say large -how huge do you mean. We should compare our pedigrees one day!!

I guess "HUGE" was not exactly a good discription. Her bolo's are not that large (up the whrist), just spots behind her pads are filled with white and in between her toes. Our other litters that have had bolos have been smaller then hers and also fade by 8-12 weeks, so hers are bigger then what we are use to. She has a couple white nails on each paw and pink splash still on one of her pads. I also forgot to mention that she has a white spot on her chin and just below her nose.

I remember when we were at a show one year, there was this beautiful black male that had VERY noticable bolos. He was a gorgeous boy and I didn't think anything of his bolos when drooling over him lol. I only wish I would have gotten a catalog to see who he was :( So I do not mind the bolos, or the white on her chest, I just worry about the other white areas like the tip of her tail and her chin(I can't believe I left that out). The white below her nose is very small, so I do believe that will go away with age.

In my last litter my keeper girl had white on her chin and some white on the bottom of her feet. She is now 9 months old and the white on her chin has just about disappeared...her one brother had bolos on the back of his front feet. They will probably remain but may fade a bit.