Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
In case of fire

My friends house burned down yesterday, and while everyone got out safely, (their bird did die) it made me think about what I would do if there was a fire overnight and my 4 labradors and my husband and I were trapped in our bedroom, how would we get the dogs out safely?

It is a one story drop to our deck from the windows, we have an escape ladder (dogs don't do ladders I suppose) and we are putting a fire extinguisher in the room. We have four leashes in the room.

Any ideas?

Trying to be prepared. Thanks!

Bonnie

Re: In case of fire

Bonnie, I'm so sorry to hear about your friends house but very glad they got out safely. We have a similar set up in our house & the same issues. I think having good smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors is the first thing and then being as prepared as possible for the unknown - leashes, extinguisher, phone in bedroom, flashlights for example. I hope that we never have to try & figure it out though. Try contacting your local fire dept. they may have more helpful ideas too.

Nothing scarier than fire. I have a smoke detector in every room and hallway. Fire extinguishers need to be stored near the entrance/exit of a room, so someone coming into the room can get to it easily. I have seen people put their fire extinguisher above the stove. In the event of a fire, they would get burned getting the extinguisher. For the dogs, leashes should be easily available. They may not want to go with you, and you may have to drag them. Make sure you have smoke and heat detectors in the most likely areas for a fire to start while you are sleeping (near the oil burner, etc.) Keep your detectors in good working order. In almost every house fire with death, there was no detectors working. They really do save lives when in good working order. Ours and our pets.

How about a raptor harness to keep in your room if the only exit is the window? Something along these lines?

http://www.rayallen.com/product/raptor_harness/Search_Rescue_Tracking

How about one of the Ruffwear harnesses? (link at Website below) The Doublebaçk is made for something like that in the mountains. In an emergency, you can use the kind used for older dogs, the Webmaster. Reality is you are not going to have a lot of time to harness 4 dogs. Even a regular harness can help, and if you have to, in an emergency, you swing them out be the collar.

I never ever want another house fire.

Prevention is the best bet. And a set of stairs outside, maintained even in the snow.

Glad that the friends are relatively okay.

Fire detectors are a good thing, but for me they were useless. My entire outside of my house was engulfed in flames before they went off (arsonist poured gas on the siding and set it on fire).

I was incredibly lucky that my stairs to the front door was not burning yet and made it out that way. Fortunately, my dogs followed me out the front door. But I lost both my cats and my entire home.

I think if I'd been trapped in my bedroom, I would have thrown the dogs out the window and dealt with whatever injuries might have happened. Better injured than dead...

Some one gave me an idea which might work. Drop your pillows, comforters, dog beds, whatever you can find very quickly directly down and out the window. Then take some with you as one of you goes down the ladder. Quickly arrange the bedding and have the other drop the dogs out of the window hopefully on the bedding to reduce injury. Then that one scurries down.

Does that sound crazy?

Bonnie

I am happy to hear your friends are okayl Where is the master bedroom or any other bedrooms that are occupied? Is it on the 1st or 2nd floor? Where are the dogs? Same floor or different?

Each home, the layout of it and where the dogs sleep makes all the difference in the world.

I have 5 bedrooms upstairs and an in-law or maid's type quarters suite on the main level. 2 seniors sleep upstairs, the rest sleep on the main level in the Kitchen, Great room or hallway floors if they want to. Having dogs on both levels of the home makes it more difficult to plan.

Using common sense in whatever situation a breeder is in, is the only way to figure out how to vacate all as fast & as safe as possible if there is a catastrophe.

I think the suggestion that was made about contacting your local fire department for ideas was great advice.

Bonnie, I've never had anything but a small grease fire in my home, but my office complex caught fire and largely burned to the ground. Fire walls and closeness to the local fire department saved my suite from fire destruction--but not smoke damage, which was extensive and costly.

What I learned from the office experience is that prevention of fires is more likely to save lives and property than preparation at the time of a fire. Once the fire is started, it is astonishing how quickly it takes over.

A great many fires are the result of carelessness or thoughtlessness about use or storage of flammable items (including your range and fireplace). Many fires are caused by faulty electrical wiring. Flammable fabrics cause the fire to quickly take over. I'm not saying not to have a plan of escape for you and your dogs, but *regular* attention to the causes of fires and to the reasons fires quickly take over a space will be your best use of time.

Closing your bedroom door before you go to sleep will buy you a little extra time and learning how to crawl on the floor to an exit in the dark is also important. Smoke detectors and fire drills, including when and who to call, will also buy a little time if a fire starts. By all means, speak to your local fire department about ideas; they have educators to help you avoid fires.

Bonnie, I can't even imagine trying to pick up/"throw" out/down out of a window a likely panicked dog but I guess when adrenaline kicks in, anything is possible. I'm not sure if a ladder and carrying a dog fireman style would work either. In our case we also have a OEM who's 185lbs + so that puts an extra kink in these kinds of ideas for us. Definitely somethng to really think about & hopefully prevent.

How about putting a trampoline or a pool below your window. We sold our two story home but until you get a single story home, something soft below is a good idea.

I just had a vision of an already terrified dog hurled out a window, bouncing on a trampoline & into a pool! The general idea (softness/padding) is a good one though.

Good thread. I had fire concern come up during a dry summer as I live in the woods and suddenly fires were close enough to consider rapid evacuation. My mind was flashing on how to evacuate ten dogs in a short time, with regular size vehicle, knowing the road would be closed if I tried to make two trips? and where do you go with 10 dogs! I decided identification was crucial on collars and dogs leashed to prevent runback. I planned to stop any vehicle heading out that could transport extras to a meeting point, attempt group exodus and if necessary, turn loose as a last resort. We were ok, but I have now alerted a friend that if this happens again, can she be on call for a quick dash and a few 'refugees'!
Any other ideas?
Anne

My husband suggested building a staircase from the window to the deck . It may have to extend to the far side of the deck to keep it from being too steep. It may not be the best from a visual point of view but if it gives you all a way out then it would be worth it. Dogs can do stairs.

http://www.iesslides.com/gallery.html

Instead of a ladder, look for a portable slide or chute. Some inflate when you drop them out the window.