Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Not looking to "Share the Love"

Last Thursday I took a youngster to a handling class at a facility we'd never been to before. By Monday she had that ugly barking kennel cough.

Some kiddie Robitusion seems to have taken care of the cough, she was pretty quiet this morning so I think it's run it's course uneventfully.

It's been a good 20+ years since I've had this situation and my memory fails me, out of courtesy to others, can anyone tell me how long I need to keep my all guys at home so I don't spred the love?

Re: Not looking to "Share the Love"

10 days past the last symptom, 14 if you want to be super safe.

They can still shed for up to five months and if you vaccinate one of your dogs do them all at the same time because the vaccinated dog can shed and then the others can pick it up! It is everywhere that dogs go, really hard to avoid, sort of luck of the draw. Every show it is always lurking, Vets office you can be sure it hangs out there!

Thanks to both respondants.

Everybody at my house gets an annual bordetella & so far the older dogs have not shown any indication that she's shared with them.

Years ago I had another young vacinated dog pick it up from the training facility so not completely surprised. My suspicion, she hasn't had as many updates of the vacine so titers not as good at this point.

I don't believe in the vaccine. There are so many difference strains and the vaccine just protects against a couple. I give Vit C, keep my dogs healthy, plenty of fresh air and exercise. IF they pick up KC it lasts one day, couple of coughs and they are over it.

anonbreeder
I don't believe in the vaccine. There are so many difference strains and the vaccine just protects against a couple. I give Vit C, keep my dogs healthy, plenty of fresh air and exercise. IF they pick up KC it lasts one day, couple of coughs and they are over it.

I agree,we don't bother with vaccination. We got it for the first time in 10 years last summer, all had it before I knew we brought it home...but it was gone in less than a week with vit. C and robitussin