Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"They are pets not property"

A lady comments on her facebook page "dogs are pets not property"

I am somewhat confused. I consider dogs part of my family. They are also my property to do with as I may. Always humane of course! In my opinion anyway.

Others feelings?

Re: "They are pets not property"

Dogs are most certainly our property and I would never want to change that. I own my dogs and do with them as I see fit. I am kind to my dogs and they receive plenty of affection, exercise, good food and good health care.

The problem becomes when, as the Animal Rights folks have done (unsuccessfully) and are still trying to do is change animal ownership to read "guardian". If this were to ever happen, we would lose all rights over our animals and if we weren't the best "parent or guardian" as set forth by some, we would lose that guardianship. There are so many unattended consequences to losing ownerships rights and I for one would never stand for it!

Dog Owner
Dogs are most certainly our property and I would never want to change that. I own my dogs and do with them as I see fit. I am kind to my dogs and they receive plenty of affection, exercise, good food and good health care.

The problem becomes when, as the Animal Rights folks have done (unsuccessfully) and are still trying to do is change animal ownership to read "guardian". If this were to ever happen, we would lose all rights over our animals and if we weren't the best "parent or guardian" as set forth by some, we would lose that guardianship. There are so many unattended consequences to losing ownerships rights and I for one would never stand for it!

Well said!

4. ownership; right of possession, enjoyment, or disposal of anything, especially of something tangible: to have property in land.
5. something at the disposal of a person, a group of persons, or the community or public: The secret of the invention became common property.

Yes, Labs are my property, I enjoy them, they are very tangible and I possess them. How could anyone say "they are just pets". Over my dead body!

So Agree......they are my property and I will defend and care for them like everything else I own and work very hard for.

Leeda
4. ownership; right of possession, enjoyment, or disposal of anything, especially of something tangible: to have property in land.
5. something at the disposal of a person, a group of persons, or the community or public: The secret of the invention became common property.

Yes, Labs are my property, I enjoy them, they are very tangible and I possess them. How could anyone say "they are just pets". Over my dead body!