Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Breath

If you had to describe the smell of puppy breath. How would you? Do you find some people like it and others do not? What would be the explanation as to why a puppy's breath smells so?

Just some thoughts. :)

Re: Puppy Breath

I think it smells like skunk, not really sweet or pleasant but cute. Have no idea why it would smell any certain way.

I notice puppy breath when pups are nursing, once they are weaned it seems to to away. I can't describe the smell. Either you like it or hate it. I for one like it. Reminds me of innocence. Pups yawn and you get a blast of puppy breath. Crazy?

Human breastfed babies have sweet milky breath that goes away once they are on formula or food. I always attributed that special puppy breath to momma's milk. Yes, innocence comes to mind.

If we have to explain; they wouldn't understand!

I think it smells like skunk also.

Another vote here for slightly skunky, but the smell of skunk doesn't bother me at all.

I hear that raw-fed puppies don't have puppy breath so it could be from kibble!

I think it smells like coffee :) Love it!

OK If you are a lover of puppy breath, would you also say it smells like skunk? Is this one of those things that smells/tastes differently to different people?

Puppy breath has a distinct smell, as skunk to me has a distinct smell. Skunk smell is more pungent. I don't think puppy breath and skunk smell the same. Just as a live skunk smell differs from road kill skunk. It may be that things smell differently to different people.4RXB

Something in puppy breath reminds me of pot. I hate the smell of pot, but puppy breath doesn't bother me really.

When my pups yawn and I catch a little whiff, it warms my heart knowing that I have such a wonderful, sweet, innocencent little creature in my charge. Luckily, I have a litter right now, so I get that feeling all the time. :)

My husband is sure that my demise will come from suffocation with a puppy's mouth over my nose. I love the smell. I describe it as milk and toast.