Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coat question

Can someone describe what a woolly coat looks like or post a picture for me?

Re: Coat question

This is what it looks like in Siberians

http://www.huskycolors.com/rescue.html

Scroll down to the bottom where it describes wooly coats. There are a couple of pics

Are you thinking about the long coated gene in Labradors?

Type in "long coated gene in labradors" into Yahoo, you'll get some good links with photos.

me
Are you thinking about the long coated gene in Labradors?

No, I don't think so, I'm trying to understand this part of the breed standard: " Woolly coats, soft silky coats, and sparse slick coats are not typical of the breed, and should be severely penalized."

I think that perhaps the standards term "wooley coat" may be the same thing as we often refer to as an "open" coat. To my best understanding this is where the undercoat is not covered properly by the harsh, water repelling outer coat to protect it from the elements. It gives a fuzzy, puppy look.

IMHO
I think that perhaps the standards term "wooley coat" may be the same thing as we often refer to as an "open" coat. To my best understanding this is where the undercoat is not covered properly by the harsh, water repelling outer coat to protect it from the elements. It gives a fuzzy, puppy look.

I would define an "open" coat as one lacking under coat. A woolly coat would be one, as you describe, with an abundance of "woolly" undercoat yet lacking the proper harsh outer coat.

To me, a wooly coat is when the coat is longer and even has waves/curls down the back and sides. The standard says a slight wave is permissible, however, we see dogs with curls down the back, over the rump, and continuing down the thighs and shoulders, taking home the points at Specialty Shows, no less.

An open coat is very easy to run your fingers through in the opposite direction of the coat growth, undercoat or not. I don't believe that lacking undercoat is the same thing as an open coat.

Reverse
IMHO

I would define an "open" coat as one lacking under coat. A woolly coat would be one, as you describe, with an abundance of "woolly" undercoat yet lacking the proper harsh outer coat.

Any judges care to weigh in on this?

Correct coat is correct coat.

From the LRC Website:
Coat
The coat is a distinctive feature of the Labrador Retriever. It should be short, straight and very dense, giving a fairly hard feeling to the hand. The Labrador should have a soft, weather-resistant undercoat that provides protection from water, cold and all types of ground cover A slight wave down the back is permissible. Woolly coats, soft silky coats, and sparse slick coats are not typical of the breed, and should be severely penalized.

A woolly coat is distinctive: it looks like a lamb's coat, like Sherpa fleece. It is neither an open coat nor a long coat.

The coat of my old chocolate dogs looks just like that: Sherpa fleece.

You see this quality in yellow puppy coats in some lines. Once they blow they usually come in correct but I have had a pup or two with it. It is horrible when it gets wet...takes forever to dry.

I had "woolly" areas grow in on my older girls as well - like on their rump - in winter - I think they are just trying to give themselves a bit of padding back there and keep themselves warm! ;>)

This is what it is in the Barbet dog.

the Barbet has a distinctive thick, wooly coat along with a beard which gave the breed his name ("barbe" is french for "beard").

This is a wooly coat breed

"the Barbet has a distinctive thick, wooly coat along with a beard which gave the breed his name ("barbe" is french for "beard").

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/barbet.htm

I had a girl I re-homed to a wonderful family that as she got older started growing a very harsh short coat that wasn't curly but had like a half curl to it, not wavy. She had a huge undercoat and needed brushing all the time, more than we would consider normal for a Lab I should say. It is hard to the touch. Jasmine asked me when she met her " isn't she awfully wooly?" She doesn't care and loves her anyway. So it wasn't like the Barbet coat in the picture