Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog smell? Something wrong?

My 8 year old bitch (spayed) had a dollar size raised area on her back. A little swollen not a lot. I comb her a lot. Rubbing hand over area few days later bump is gone but bad odor of "dog smell" on my fingers. So bad that I am thinking of bathing her. I rarely bathe my Labradors as the combing usually does the trick.

Anyone have any idea of what it might be before I get the clippers out and shave the spot s it is driving me crazy. Anything to worry about?
(Have not changed her diet at all)

TIA

Re: Dog smell? Something wrong?

Perhaps a cyst that ruptured, any number of things. You could do a bath and use a high velocity dryer to separate the hairs as they dry. You'd be surprised what you can see on the skin. Maybe a vet appt. too.

Bet you find something infected back there? By rubbing it you may have popped it? Yuck!!

Time for Peroxide and Neosporin!! Good luck.

I second El's post...I would bet a ruptured cyst as well.

8 year old Labrador
My 8 year old bitch (spayed) had a dollar size raised area on her back. A little swollen not a lot. I comb her a lot. Rubbing hand over area few days later bump is gone but bad odor of "dog smell" on my fingers. So bad that I am thinking of bathing her. I rarely bathe my Labradors as the combing usually does the trick.

Anyone have any idea of what it might be before I get the clippers out and shave the spot s it is driving me crazy. Anything to worry about?
(Have not changed her diet at all)

TIA

why not take her to the vet?

Why take her to vet when could be something simple? Not discharging. Not red. No fever. Bump is gone.

I have worked in vet office and have seen people spend so much on just a tick because they did not want to touch it.

Part of why I like this forum is getting simple answers. If I felt it was serious she would be t the vet in a heartbeat.

8 year old Labrador
Why take her to vet when could be something simple? Not discharging. Not red. No fever. Bump is gone.

I have worked in vet office and have seen people spend so much on just a tick because they did not want to touch it.

Part of why I like this forum is getting simple answers. If I felt it was serious she would be t the vet in a heartbeat.

Different strokes for different folks. I for one rather spend the office fee to rule out infection or MCT versus listening to john doe.

Dang, people are so rude...