Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gun Classes at show

Hi Everyone ~ I have another newbie question. I was on info dog entering my choc. puppy in the 6-9 month class at an upcoming sporting breed show and saw listed under the classes a catagory Gun Classes. What are those?? Just curious.... thanks!

Re: Gun Classes at show

It is good that you noticed that, as it gives us something to aim for in the future. (Pun intended.) If you are talking about the NESGA, the Gun Dog classes are defined per breed. Although a Toller only needs a Working Certificate, a Labrador entered in that class must have a hunt title, JH, SH, or MH. Check the whole premium list for questions that are not handled on the entry system online.

May your pup be qualified to enter that class some day, as that class is showcasing working ability as well as conformation. Compare this with Hunting Retriever classes at specialties, although this Group specialty is for breeds other than retrievers, other Gun Dogs, such as Pointers.

Thank-you!!

You may also see another non regular class....Bird Dog Class this class can be for dogs who have earned a WD (WC) or WDX (WCX) from the parent club or have received a qualifying score at any AKC hunt test or a placement at and an AKC field trial. These dog can then compete for BOB....This class is being offered at the Big Apple Sporting Society show.

Thanks for the info.! I'm really looking forward to this show! Jen:)