Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DDC

I know this has been discussed before on the forum, but has anyone experienced wrong DNA results on colors carried? Testing was done by DDC.

Re: DDC

I tested my chocolate bitch through DDC to see if she carried yellow. The results came back pure for choc, so I bred her to a Cy male. I was surprised to find out that I got a dudley male, who might have been my pick otherwise! It makes me wonder about the accuracy of their other tests- EIC, CNM... hopefully they are more careful with those results?

no telling what they have been wrong on......... glad I've not based a life's worth of breeding on it

What was their explanation when you notified them of the error? You did tell them and sort out the reason for the error, didn't you?

So you got a yellow puppy with a dudley nose?

Heather
So you got a yellow puppy with a dudley nose?

Yes, yellow with a liver nose. My girl was Eebb, and the stud I used was Eebb. (DDC results had my girl as being EEbb)I expected a chocolate litter (Eebb and EEbb), and actually got two little dudleys (eebb).

I actually didn't report it, and it's been a couple of years now. In retrospect, I probably should have.

Well I did call them today, and they are going to re-test if they have enough DNA on file to re-test and also send me another kit to test again as well. It was interesting though, as the person who called me back stated that they'd never had anything like this happen before. We shall see. Updates to follow!

Question
Well I did call them today, and they are going to re-test if they have enough DNA on file to re-test and also send me another kit to test again as well. It was interesting though, as the person who called me back stated that they'd never had anything like this happen before. We shall see. Updates to follow!

Well, that's not quite true. I tested a bitch some years ago and she came back carrying chocolate, though neither parent carried chocolate. So, they re-did the test, then told me it was a clerical error, then they stopped testing for chocolate for a while until they revamped their procedure. That said, in recent years, I still use them for color testing and haven't had any problems - I believe they fixed whatever issues they were having with the black/chocolate gene pair.

I had VetGen test one of my chocolate bitches wrong. They said she was pure for chocolate but when she gave me a yellow puppy I called VetGen and they claimed "clerical error".

Great, I just sent one off to DDC. A chocolate to see if she carries yellow. Do most seem to be right ?

I have used DDC since the late 1990's, and never experienced an error.

ALL the laboratories can have a margin of error for any test. Also it depends how strictly you follow the instruction for collecting your samples. I have been using DDC for 5 years without an issue. I find DDC especially accurate with the chocolate gene compared to other laboratories. I would not doubt test results from them one bit.

The test in question is for one that originally came back as dominant black which now may actually be a black carrying yellow. Will be very interesting to see the outcome of re-testing.

I used to use Vet Gen. Tested a black pup sired by a dominate black male and a Chocolate carrying yellow female. Vet Gen told me the pup was black dominate. I questioned it becasue they had the dam as Cy. They retested and i also sent a smaple to DDC. Vet Gen came back with a mix up in the lab and said the pup was Bc. DDC results came back saying the pup was Bc.

When ever working with humans there is always room for error at some point. I have no issue with either place but i mostly use DDC.

It seems that where chocolate is involved, all of the labs have had some error. I bred a By to a By and Vetgen said the offspring was Byc. After a re-test it came back By.