Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need new Pedigree Software

I've been using that free pedigree generator for my 4 generation pedigrees for my website. For some reason, it is saving it as an " htm " file so now I can't download it on my website. I can't change it to html or any other file extension. I also tried saving the pedigrees as html code, copy and paste on the script page where I edit my webpage at Yahoo.

Do any of you use an easier pedigree software that doesn't cost alot of money or is free ?

Thanks for your advise !!

Re: Need new Pedigree Software

I use Labradata to generate my pedigrees. I get a choice of 4 different layouts, red titles or not and photo included. It generates a pdf that I can link on my website and also looks good on paper. It is free, of course.

When Labradata first got up and going I entered a few of my dogs but I never used it for making pedigrees. It looks like you have to go in and fill out all the information on each sire and dam just to get started on making a pedigree, or am I mistaken ?

I'm looking for something more simple to work with.

You can submit a certified pedigree (an online one from AKC will do) for your dog. The data managers enter all the dogs on the pedigree into the database complete with public records (AKC titles, OFA, etc.) Be sure to put in a photo so that it can appear on your pedigree. We do the work for you .

If you want more information on how to make it as simple as possible, just email.

Even if you buy an online program, you manually have enter in all dogs and link them up to even be able to print off a pedigree. I have breeders standard. It requires you to put in each dog and link them up by parents, for how ever many generations you want to print off. So it is a lot of work too. Once they are into your database things are faster.

My husband said he was going to design me a basic pedigree format I can use in Excell. I don't know what the heck he is talking about but he is the techy in our family so I'll give him a chance to show off his skills.

Just FYI to op - there is no difference in an .htm file and an .html file. Any browser will recognize the file extensions interchangeably.

You can also change a file extension from .htm to .html in any Windows browser window, if you prefer one over the other.

Feel free to contact me privately if I can help with any techie type questions. Retirement has left me with time on my hands and a lifetime of techie type accumulated info and no place to get rid of it.

Thanks for all your help !! I saved all the links so I can go back to them later. Pedigree Generator has always worked for me all this time so I don't know what the problem is. When I try and change the file name extension, a box will pop up that warns that the pedigree might be lost or won't be saved in original format. Sure enough when I change it to html or any other option, I lose the original pedigree that I typed in.
I"d like to learnt to do PDF and put all my dog's health clearances, pedigrees, nicer photos like some of the stud dog owners use for bitch owners.

LD fan
I use Labradata to generate my pedigrees. I get a choice of 4 different layouts, red titles or not and photo included. It generates a pdf that I can link on my website and also looks good on paper. It is free, of course.

I have tried to enter all of my bitches and dogs in LD and find it cumbersome and impossible to complete 1 entry. How you do your pedigrees with it I don't understand. I'm not computer stupid but I'm sure LD stupid. Am I the only breeder that has severe problems with Labradata?

Complicated
I have tried to enter all of my bitches and dogs in LD and find it cumbersome and impossible to complete 1 entry. How you do your pedigrees with it I don't understand. I'm not computer stupid but I'm sure LD stupid. Am I the only breeder that has severe problems with Labradata?

Again, please contact the board and someone will be glad to help you. All you really need to do is upload the registration. There are a few other questions on the submittal form (eye color, height, weight, etc.) but some people don't fill them in. I don't know what you find cumbersome about uploading a registration, but I'm sure one of our "data geeks" could make it easier for you We do the rest of the work and link the dog/parents/public records/together for you. Once the dog is in the database, you can add other documents whenever you want - titles, certs, photos, etc. Labradata is here to serve the Labrador community by storing documents and making them easy to use. Please contact us and we will be eager to assist.

Just FYI, PCs create htm files, and Macs create html files. You can rename htm files to html if you want. Not sure why that pedigree generator won't allow you to rename the file, but you shouldn't really have to anyway.

Here is an example of a pedigree made on Labradata. All I had to do was uploaded Rhys' AKC papers along with clearances and photos of him.

http://riorocklabs.com/rhysldped.pdf

Heather
Here is an example of a pedigree made on Labradata. All I had to do was uploaded Rhys' AKC papers along with clearances and photos of him.

Now It's more confusing. I understand the PC & Apple differences and have both types of computers. This pedigree example is pdf. I thought they were htm or html?

I think I'll put it on a backburner for now. Thanks anyway.

That is a beautiful pedigree. I went to the Labradata site, but could not find where to go to create a pedigree?

Heather

I can't stand when the pedigree is in pdf... I want to see it on their page.

You can place a graphic, video, html code, pdf, or about anything else in a web page. The fact that the pedigree is in pdf makes it resizable without distortion and more printable. It has nothing to do with being on the same page with other content. Learn more about the technology and you might find you prefer it.

Display the dog you want, then click on the "Pedigree" tab in the lower half of the screen. "Photo" is the default and "Pedigree" is the next tab to the right. You get 4 different layout choices and the option of champions in red. Of course, to get a full pedigree, all the dogs have to be in the database. Submit a pedigree and they will enter the missing dogs for you

A 'pdf' is just a type of file, like a 'jpg' or a 'bmp' is a type of file. HTML or HTM is a type of encoding on a web page; a pdf is an actual document.

Writing something on a web page is done by coding in HTM or HTML; making a document or picture is done with a pdf, jpg, bmp, etc file.......maybe it would help if you thought of it as a difference in types of files - allowing read-only or a hard copy (although both can be printed into a hard copy).