Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Performance dog food-recommendations??

My dogs are currently eating Nutro Natural Choice High Energy dog food. The problem with this is I cannot easily get the food and when I can get it I pay about $60.00 for a 30 lb bag. I was wondering what brands of high energy/performance food other people are feeding their dogs. Any dog food suggestions would be great! TIA

Re: Performance dog food-recommendations??

Diamond Natural's Extreme Athlete

Pro Plan Performance. Great food, and easy to find.

Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete- great food & low residue

I have a dog running MH and he is on Pinnacle Peak - he does very well on it.

I also feed Pro Plan Performance. I've tried others but always come back. My Labs and my Havanese all do so well on it. Gotta love cashing in the weight circles too. Right now it's about $38 for 37.5 lbs at PetSmart. I feed less of it than I would feed of other food because it's more nutrient dense so it's very economical.

Jim & Elizabeth Bowron
Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete- great food & low residue

Ditto and awesome price. It has correct ratio of Phosphorus to Calcium (I contacted the company on that one.) It has Gucosamine and Chondroiton.

We use ProPlan Performance for all our adult, active dogs. Consistent small, firm stools, great coats and health dogs. Can't ask for much more.

Looks like we are gonna try the ProPlan for a bit and see how they do! I looked up where to find the Diamond Food around NH (where I am) and there aren't too many places to easily grab it..If ProPlan doesn't work out, we will try Diamond! Thanks for your help everyone!

Does anyone who is feeding these performance foods own performance/working dogs? Or are you feeding performance foods to all dogs? The ingredients in ProPlan Performance seem to be primarily filler with protein/fat primarily coming from non-meat based sources:

Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, corn germ meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, fish oil, dried egg product, salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
V-4461

Performance Foods to All Dogs?
Does anyone who is feeding these performance foods own performance/working dogs? Or are you feeding performance foods to all dogs? The ingredients in ProPlan Performance seem to be primarily filler with protein/fat primarily coming from non-meat based sources:

Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, corn germ meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, fish oil, dried egg product, salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
V-4461

Blech! My labs are SO glad that they get REAL meat and bones!!

Chicken is the first ingredient... I don't really care if it was made with sawdust - I am focused on the results I get. I'm interested in healthy dogs, great coats, maintaining a good weight at a reasonable cost and that's what I get with ProPlan Performance.

Chicken is the first ingredient, but because it isn't "meal" it is mostly water. For me, this is not cost effective - given what is in the bag, it is pretty expensive IMO.

The Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete seems to be a much better buy given the cost ($42 for a 40 lb bag at Amazon, which will ship for free) and quality of ingredients:

Protein: 32% Fat: 25%
Calories: 4,710 kcal/kg (470 kcal/cup) Calculated ME

Chicken meal, chicken, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, cracked pearled barley, powdered cellulose, dried plain beet pulp, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Calorie Content:
4,243 kcal/kg (124 g = 1 cup)
537 kcal/cup (4.4 oz = 1 cup)

Ingredients:
Turkey, chicken, turkey meal, chicken meal, potatoes, herring meal, chicken fat, natural flavors, egg, apples, tomatoes, potassium chloride, carrots, vitamins, garlic, cottage cheese, minerals, alfalfa sprouts, ascorbic acid, dried chicory root, direct-fed microbials, vitamin E supplement, lecithin, rosemary extract.

Guaranteed analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 42 %
Crude Fat (min) 22 %
Crude Fiber (max) 2.5 %
Moisture (max) 10 %
Linoleic Acid (Omega-6 Fatty Acid) (min) 4.2 %
Carbohydrates NFE (max) 12 %
Vitamin E (min) 300 IU/kg
Vitamin C (min) 500 mg/kg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min) 0.5 %
Docosahexaenoic Acid (min) 0.1 %
Total Microorganisms (min) 90,000,000 CFU/lb

Review from DogFoodAnalysis.com

The first four ingredients in this food are all named meat products. The first two are meat inclusive of water content (about 80%) and once that is removed it is likely that these ingredients would be more accurately placed somewhat further down the ingredient list (ingredients are listed in order of weight). However, since it is followed by two meat meal ingredients, and a further meat meal ingredient, herring meal, sixth on the ingredient list. This, and strong macronutrient breakdown give very high confidence in the level of meat content of the food.

This is an entirely grainless dog food. The major carbohydrate source is potatoes, which are also a good source of B vitamins and other minerals. There is a good range of fruits/vegetables in the food, whole eggs and a good range of probiotics.

This food is outstanding in that it contains no grains whatsoever. Grains are not a natural part of a canine diet and it is pleasing to see dog foods on the market that exclude grains completely from the diet. This is a far more natural food concept and combined with a complete lack of any low quality or controversial ingredients is the reason this food is placed in a class above the more conventional form dry dog foods.

The only caution we would make on this food is that the high protein and calcium content may make it suitable for adult dogs only, particularly in the case of large breeds.

With EVO, you get what you pay for, just like Orijen, Acana, and other quality foods. The second ingredient in Purina Pro Plan Performance is Corn Gluten Meal and is likely the primary protein source for the food given the chicken is only listed first due to weight - if the water were excluded it would be much further down the list. That is concerning given it is really the only meat source listed other that by-products.

Per Dog Food Advisor, "Corn Gluten is the rubbery residue remaining once corn has had most of its starchy carbohydrate (the good stuff) washed out of it. Compared to meat, glutens are inferior grain-based proteins low in many of the essential amino acids dogs need to sustain life. This inexpensive plant-based ingredient can significantly boost the total protein content reported in this dog food."

Corn gluten meal is also used as a natural herbicide on lawns to remove weeds. Not sure I'd want that to be the main ingredient in my dog food!

ProPlan Performance

It's what most of my dogs eat.

Re: ProPlan Performance

Corn gluten does not kill plants. It inhibits seed germination due to presence of hormones that act on seeds by do not act on animals, or even on plants after the seed has germinated. Thus it is not toxic to animals and can be used safely in a garden to control weeds that have not yet sprouted. It doesn't affect existing plants. I won't comment on the nutritional value because I don't have information on that.

While it is interesting to get feedback from others on what they feed, I think it's also very important to remember that what may work for one's dogs, their climate & their activity level may not work for your dogs, etc. The most important thing I can say is if you find a food you're happy with then stick with it! Quit trying to find the holy grail.. you may already have!

Years ago, Annie Cogo suggested I switch to Eukanuba Performance food (I was feeding Sam's Exceed at the time) so I did. It took twice as much food just to keep the weight on them and the black coats turned a funky tinged color yet her dogs (think Piper) looked gorgeous on this food. I learned my lesson then, that if it ain't broke, don't try & fix it! :-)

Another thing is that just because a food costs under a certain $ amount, it does not mean the food is inexpensive (worth the money spent). I would not consider the money spent on a food that is primarily fillers money well-spent. It is interesting to read what people feed though and in some cases it is no wonder why some dogs are so heavy - the same result that is often seen by feeding human kids the stuff served at the Costco food court on a regular basis!

I do find it curious that so many people feed performance foods to dogs that are not worked and not truly active enough to justify the elevated fat and protein levels. Again, it does explain the size of many dogs though.

For a better deal on Diamond's Exteme Athlete; Tractor Supply Center is from $32 to $36 We only feed to the very active that are difficult to keep weight on.

And I guess you know exactly what folks do with these dogs to be so critical of what qualifies as enough activity to be eating a "performance" food? How easily it is to assume... And just for the record, my child will eat every yummy thing they throw at them at Costco, yet remains to be in the 10th percentile of weight. Genetics has as much to do with size as does nutrition so get over trying to preach about folks feeding performance foods.

Not preaching - just find it odd. And given how few performance titles are on show dogs, I would say the majority of them are not worked (have a regular job to do - running around after a ball in the back yard is not work). Yes genetics plays a part but thin does not mean healthy either. A lot of thin people are smokers or eat a ton of junk - the fact they are not overweight does not make them healthy, that is for sure. My brother growing up ate a ton more junk than I ever did but he was always lanky and I always fought to keep weight off. He also got sick a lot more than I did and still does. I personally will not pay good money for low quality - there is no value in it. Most junk foods (human and canine) are overpriced for what they are.

The number of heavy and soft dogs in the ring these days is pretty easy to see - regardless of what people are feeding, many are certainly feeding too much for the dog's activity level or the dog would not be heavy. While some dogs do have a lot of coat, coat does not look like fat so that excuse is null. Dippy toplines and shoulder rolls are caused by poor front construction and/or excess weight, not too much coat.

Not preaching - just find it odd. I personally will not pay good money for low quality - there is no value in it. Most junk foods (human and canine) are overpriced for what they are and while they will keep weight on people, it is not healthy in the long run (there are many unhealthy thin people too, but it is not usually due to eating a well-balanced healthy diet!).

The number of heavy and soft dogs in the ring these days is pretty easy to see - regardless of what people are feeding, many are certainly feeding too much for the dog's activity level or the dog would not be heavy. While some dogs do have a lot of coat, coat does not look like fat so that excuse is null. Dippy toplines and shoulder rolls are caused by poor front construction and/or excess weight, not too much coat.

Nobody has mentioned Diamond performance. It is 30/20 and keeps my dogs in top shape. I found that my dogs would get the runs on Diamond extreme but do wonderful on performance. Excellent for brood bitches too. DE can put up weight fast.

There is a time when some breeders use a performance food, for us it helps put on weight and muscle on the boys if needed in the young teen years. Some foods are better than others but I don't think you have to spend $80 for a 25-30 lb bag of food. I love my dogs as much as the next person but they are dogs and they eat any trash they can get into as well as poop in some cases. I don't feed a food that is full of corn or wheat because I think it is just in there to fill them up, not to add any real nutrition. We are using 4 Health from Tractor Supply Salmon and Potato. It is reasonably priced, Diamonds TOTW for Tractor Supply. I do think that dogs are omnivores, not carnivores. I don't think they ever have just been carnivores. I believe that wild dogs and wolves have always eaten grains, fruits and veggies whenever they can find them. I watch my dogs in the yard and they snack on wild berries, all the bird seed we put out, grasses and any veggie we give them. I don't see grain as a problem, but amount that is given could be. I like the Diamond Extreme Athlete and the Performance it has worked for us in the past. Our dogs are very active, have 3 acres to run and play in. I don't think you have to be doing a high performance activity to need some extra Protein and Fat.