Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Purina One

Anyone have any experience with this food??

Re: Purina One

We've been feeding it for about a year. On paper, it isn't the best food out there, but on our dogs, it looks great! Small, dark, firm poops, too. We tried it based on a thread on this board.

formula changed to soy, Re: Purina One

Sorry to say, but Purina One has gone to including soy in ALL its formulas now, even the Large Breed Adult, the Puppy, the Salmon or Sensitive Systems and the Senior. I am buying up the few bags of the old formula that I can find, but I will either go to Pro Plan or something different for the girl who does best on the old versions of this food. The "dreaded shredded" was a disaster for her coat and general attitude. Yes, she liked it--even the Cavaliers like the shreds. They should just sell shreds as soft moist treats, as at least they don't have artificial dye added--yet. I couldn't supplement it enough to undo its bad effects. That being said, if I wanted to feed the beings in my house junk, I'd just buy junk labeled as fun food. Labeling something as Beyond and touting it as health food is ridiculous.

Yes, the original Purina One was good. It can still be found at some PetSmart stores. The the shredded - blended - whatever Purina One is awful.

I fed ONE for years, but they kept changing it and I was having problems, so I switched to Pro Plan Performance, and see a major change.

Ironically, I just came from PetSmart, and we were just having a conversation about ONE and the PP with the shredded. She said the customers are not happy with it.

Also I quit using the ONE puppy formulas, as well, and switched to Pro Plan Puppy chicken and rice and saw a big change in my pups. JMHO

Soy

I won't feed my dogs anything with soy. Think about it, soy is used by menopausal women to mimic estrogen in the body to help with hot flashes. I was warned by my gyno to absolutely stay away from soy since I had severe endometriosis and while they tried to get most of it, they couldn't get it all and soy very possibly could cause the endometriosis to continue to grow since the body treats it like estrogen.

Do you really want something that mimics estrogen in your breeding dogs' bodies? I don't.

Re: Soy

use to feed it to the litters, they did well on it.
Last bag I got was 75% soy chucks barely any "food" pups didnt even like the smell of it and I had to mix it with pro plan puppy (non shredded to get rid of it.

Have no idea what Purina is doing, but they are slowing killing themselves :/

I won't feed anything where some of the main ingredients include very little meat, animal by-products, corn gluten meal or animal digest - yes, the food is affordable because it is low quality.

soy yuck
use to feed it to the litters, they did well on it.
Last bag I got was 75% soy chucks barely any "food" pups didnt even like the smell of it and I had to mix it with pro plan puppy (non shredded to get rid of it.

Have no idea what Purina is doing, but they are slowing killing themselves :/

Soy is very bad. According to this article it makes our kids gay: http://www.wnd.com/2006/12/39253/