Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
YIKES Long Shots II

FOr those of you who have been following, the original Long Shots got safely out of Afghanistan and through my HERO son Darren and The Puppy Rescue Mission are safely in the USA and in safe and loving homes most with soldiers who served and were bolstered in that awful place by their canine helpers.
Well another litter of pups has "found" my son and yes he will get them out, with the help of God and The Puppy Rescue Mission. Darren can get his pups out but so many others need our help to make it out safely. Please consider
http://www.facebook.com/puppyrescuemission
if you can spare a donation. When I am loading up those doggie dishes here with the very best meat and supplements, I think of these pups who need to get a chance to live and be safe. I pray my son and all of our brave soldiers get safely out of that hell hole and if we can save a few of the canines also, well that is a good thing.

Re: YIKES Long Shots II

Don't we have enough abandoned puppies in our own country without importing more? Charity begins here. Support your LOCAL rescue organization.

Just a thought
Don't we have enough abandoned puppies in our own country without importing more? Charity begins here. Support your LOCAL rescue organization.

WOW - really felt that in the gut. While I (somewhat) agree with what you say, I do applaud these soldiers for their efforts. Only they can tell you what it's like for an animal living on the streets in these deplorable countries. I'm sure they'll tell you it's not a pretty picture. If they are ready, able and willing to help then so be it. If you don't want to donate, that's fine too. I'm sure this makes them feel really good - probably better than they've felt in a long time. I pray these dogs get forever, loving homes and what they need. They wouldn't get squat where they are now.

Lois - one of my adoptive families has an airplane and flys rescue dogs to their destination. Let me know if assistance is needed or, you can visit their website www.animalrescueflights.org

Just a thought

I believe that these missions are more for the soldiers than for the dogs but if the canines benefit from it, too, then so be it. Congratulations, Lois, on raising such a wonderful human being in your son. There are few of us on this side who can possibly imagine what life is like over there.

Just A Thought - commenting from behind a cloak of an anonymous name is cowardly, while our brave soldiers are in that hell hole, where BTW dogs are stoned to death by laughing children, and our guys and women lose body parts and are kept sane by a dog who adopted them. Don't you dare preach about homeless dogs here in America where we have support systems and while not perfect it is a hell of a lot more than they have over there.
Remember for each and every one of us we do what we can where we can and that just has to be enough.

Thank you, Lois, and God bless all the people overseas and in this country trying to help those animals in the war-torn countries. The reality is, dogs and other animals have, for the most part, an absolutely wretched life and are literally tortured, stoned, purposefully run over, shot, and starved to death by people who have seen too much aggression and torture in their own lives and have no ability to feel empathy any more. The American soldiers are the saviors of these poor animals and will often fiercely protect and care for these street dogs, sacrificing their own food and medical supplies to help, while fighting for our freedom.
If we love dogs, and I think all of us on this forum do, regardless of the breeds or circumstances, we need to have awareness of the reality that these dogs try to exist in in these countries. They did not ask to be born into a culture of torture, abuse, neglect, and starvation.
Yes, we have animals in this country that need our help, too, but the need overseas is so much more critical. Please help Lois any way you can. I don't even know her, but she saw the need and put herself out there to help these dogs, and she deserves our appreciation, respect and help.
Thank you Lois and all the people involved, for your help for these innocent animals.

The Starfish Story
Original Story by: Loren Eisley

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, "What are you doing?"

The youth replied, "Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them back, they'll die."

"Son," the man said, "Don't you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?
You can't make a difference!"

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said,
"I made a difference for that one."

The world is a better place when someone helps wherever they can, whether it is another person, or an animal. God bless everyone involved for doing "whatever they can" to help those dogs.

Lois, you and your son and his colleagues touch my heart. Thank you for your support of your son. Thank you to your son for doing their best to help "wherever they can."