Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bad anti-breeder, anti puppy ordinance in NJ

Received a post on this ordinance:

This proposed ordinance is an over reaction to a problem with a puppy store that was closed with the laws already in place. Enforcement of the current laws worked really well, so why force area residents to have to give up their rights? Not far from there a rescue is bringing in street dogs from India to help fill the desire of NJ residents to own dogs. That is going from the frying pan into the fire, as street dogs often have resistant parasites and can carry rabies.

Instead, breeders who have large litters will be forced to cull the puppies to stay within the limit. This ordinance punishes breeders for EACH DAY with fines of up to $2,000 or 90 days in jail PER DAY, perhaps multiplied by the number of puppies. Probably what would happen next, the enforcers would bargain that the breeder give up all dogs to avoid going to jail, and the town gets free well bred pups. To avoid this catch-22, breeders will have to have pups euthanized. Therefore, this bill will kill innocent puppies that way.

Please write brick NJ Council to protest this proposed ordinance. Current humane laws got the problem pet store closed. Enforce with the laws that we have.
Email addresses for the town council can be found on this link:
http://www.twp.brick.nj.us/content.asp?ContentId=576

If this ordinance goes through, like ordinances will be spread to other towns by the so-called animal rights movement that wants to get dogs out of our lives.
Even rescues say: This proposed ordinance is not the way to help dogs or pet owners.

On 3/6/2012 10:02 AM, Barbara wrote:

PERMISSION TO CROSSPOST

This is an ugly ordinance that is due to be heard tonight (March 6, 2012) in the Council Caucus Meeting and on March 13, 2012 in the Public Council Meeting. There is an opportunity to speak at both venues. Participation by Brick residents is a must.

Here are the appropriate definitions.

A. “Kennel” shall mean any establishment wherein or whereon the business of boarding or selling cats or dogs or breeding cats or dogs for sale is carried on, where more than ten (10) cats or dogs are handled each calendar year, except a pet shop.

B. “Pet Shop” shall mean any room or group of rooms or cages or exhibition pen or other establishment which is not part of a kennel, wherein animals, including, but not limited to, dogs, cats, birds, fish, reptiles, rabbits, hamsters or gerbils, are kept, displayed or offered for sale.

C. “Small Breeder” shall mean any person or persons who engages in the business of breeding cats or dogs for sale, where no more than ten (10) cats or dogs are handled during the breeding process each calendar year, except a pet shop.

That’s a pretty low threshold. Sporting dogs often can have 10 pups in one litter.

Continued: No kennel will be allowed in Brick Township. To repeat, no business will be allowed to board, or breed, or sell dogs or cats in the township. No pet shop will be allowed to purchase or offer for sale any dog or cat born in this state or any other, or any other country. Nothing prohibits “small breeders”, except they must stay under the 10 animal limit AND get a license from the township.

Penalty for each offense is not more than $2000 fine and not more than 90 days in jail, or not more than 90 days community service, or not more than 90 days of a combination of jail and community service.

Every day the person allows the violation to occur counts as a separate violation.

Send your email comments to; council@twp.brick.nj.us Please attend and voice your concern.

Municipal Building
401 Chambers Bridge Road
Brick, New Jersey

Barb

Knowledge is power. Ignorance isn’t bliss, it’s dangerous.

Re: bad anti-breeder, anti puppy ordinance in NJ

"Probably what would happen next, the enforcers would bargain that the breeder give up all dogs to avoid going to jail, and the town gets free well bred pups. To avoid this catch-22, breeders will have to have pups euthanized. Therefore, this bill will kill innocent puppies that way."

Really??? That's what you read from this bill and what you think will happen to responsible breeders who raise/breed/whelp/raise good, healthy, socialized puppies????

These bills are not for responsible breeders, no matter what your conspiracy theorist brains think. But if you in any way resemble a breed farm/puppy mill, then, yes....watch out!!!!! Otherwise....chill!!!!!

EVERY breeder in every state across the country NEEDS to be aware of these highly restrictive, highly punitive proposed laws. I don't care if you "any way resemble a breed farm/puppy mill" or not, if you have more than 10 dogs on your property you are included in this bill. Rescues are also included. They do not take into consideration how "responsibly" you breed, but rather just count the numbers. WRONG WRONG WRONG. There are plenty of animal welfare laws that covered the situation which brought about this bill.

This bill and so many other similar bills proposed are nothing more than Animal Rights propaganda set forth to carry out their agendas which is TOTAL ANIMAL LIBERATION. If you don't believe that, you live in LALA land.

rescue Mom
"Probably what would happen next, the enforcers would bargain that the breeder give up all dogs to avoid going to jail, and the town gets free well bred pups. To avoid this catch-22, breeders will have to have pups euthanized. Therefore, this bill will kill innocent puppies that way."

Really??? That's what you read from this bill and what you think will happen to responsible breeders who raise/breed/whelp/raise good, healthy, socialized puppies????

These bills are not for responsible breeders, no matter what your conspiracy theorist brains think. But if you in any way resemble a breed farm/puppy mill, then, yes....watch out!!!!! Otherwise....chill!!!!!

ONE litter--> Breeder goes to JAIL, Re: bad anti-breeder, anti puppy ordinance in NJ

One big Lab litter from only one Labrador could put you over the limit and send you to jail, 90 days or $2,000 for each day (and each dog?) you are over the limit, even if you only have the mother dog and the litter. How is that being a puppy mill?!?!

Get real and understand that this is NOT about being a good breeder. These kinds of ordinances and bills come from folks who chant, "Better dead than bred." They think breeders "force" dogs to breed rather than spending most seasons keeping them from it!

Notice that rescues are part of their target.

ONE litter--> Breeder goes to JAIL, Re: bad anti-breeder, anti puppy ordinance in NJ

As a side note.......

I know for a fact that several NJ shelters come into my county in Virginia and pick up all available shelter dogs for transport back to NJ to fill the demand for shelter dogs.

rescue Mom

Otherwise chill? O really? I breed a litter every year or two and I'm worried with the new laws coming out all over the United States.

I also do rescue and work with agencies involved in it. I chip in as much as I can. You're a rescue Mom but are you a breeder also? It doesn't appear that way.

Where do you have the nerve to tell us to chill? We're worried for good reasons. Each law that passes brings it to another state.

I wish the breed farms, BYB's and puppy mills would be differentiated from a breeder like me. But they're not.

You need to re-read some proposed legislature honey. I understand the proposed laws. You apparently don't. Get a clue.

Here in Virginia
As a side note.......

I know for a fact that several NJ shelters come into my county in Virginia and pick up all available shelter dogs for transport back to NJ to fill the demand for shelter dogs.

Look at the no.'s. NJ doesn't have the rescue no.'s some states do and has more private no kill shelters then some other states.

The closer the shelter is to PA in NJ, the more there are in shelters but still there is room to house dogs. There are some large shelters with extra room but why move the dogs? To make it look like NJ has more shelter dogs than they actually do?

I don't know if that's why what you claim is being done but if they're euthanising the dogs then why move them from VA to NJ?

Can I ask where did you get your *facts*? I'll be checking on it in a legal fashion tomorrow. If this is true it should be released to the press.

one way to help fight these bills is to support the National Animal Interest Alliance :
http://www.naiaonline.org/
I asked our club if they would consider giving them a donation. Of course we have to fight locally, but having a group behind us helps. there are some good articles up there....check them out.

I think the point is that NJ doesn't really have a shelter overpopulation problem, so doesn't need to worry about overly restricting breeding. Dogs are not being imported to be euthanized - they are being imported because the demand for adoptable pets exceeds the supply.

In the area I live in, almost all the dogs in the shelter(s) are pits or pit mixes, so it's not necessarily a question of enough shelter dogs to satisfy the desire to adopt one, but more so a question of the "right" kind of shelter dogs, which is why many are being imported from other areas - so that adopters who want either a rescued pure-bred or a cute mixed breed without obvious pittie in it can find what they want.

My understanding
I think the point is that NJ doesn't really have a shelter overpopulation problem, so doesn't need to worry about overly restricting breeding. Dogs are not being imported to be euthanized - they are being imported because the demand for adoptable pets exceeds the supply.

In the area I live in, almost all the dogs in the shelter(s) are pits or pit mixes, so it's not necessarily a question of enough shelter dogs to satisfy the desire to adopt one, but more so a question of the "right" kind of shelter dogs, which is why many are being imported from other areas - so that adopters who want either a rescued pure-bred or a cute mixed breed without obvious pittie in it can find what they want.

That makes a lot of sense and is similar in my part of Jersey. I've never heard of imported dogs from VA or any other state.

These possible laws worry me. I'll be doing all I can to voice my opinion.

The bill, as opposed to an ordinance, is STATEWIDE if it goes through. I don't know what happened after it or similar bill or bills went to the Agriculture committee last month. There are other scary bills. Almost too many to follow. That is probably the point. They make it a shock and awe attack.

rescue dogs from INDIA and VA but we can't breed in NJ?

There appears to be a lack of adoptable dogs in NJ. Or else rescue groups and shelters don't work well together to redistribute NJ dogs. Some of the top shelters in NJ, those that are rescues AND those that take in strays for municipalities, have been bringing in southern and midwest dogs for over a decade. Then they went further, to Puerto Rico. Then Asian countries. The latest trend seems to be bringing in street strays from India as a "breed" of pariah dogs called Desi dogs.

At least a couple from India are for adoption in the Asbury Park area, down the shore as is Brick where they are trying for an ordinance against breeders. The group probably does good work, but appears to have run out of NJ dogs they like to rescue from NJ shelters, bringing in a 3-legged PIT BULL mix from VA and 2 Desi dogs. We have extra pits in shelters in NJ! See the list with the previous mentioned dogs at Mutts N More,
http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=NJ274

Here is one Desi dog that a different rescue, a northern NJ rescue, brought in to Palisades Park. He appears to have been adopted. He's cute, but that's not the point.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21048297-Bonsai-Desi-dog-from-India-Retriever-Dog-Palisades%20Park-NJ

Bonsai Desi dog from India
Retriever: An adopted dog in Palisades Park, NJ
Medium • Baby • Male

Bonsai is a Desi dog from India!! Read his story. Petfinder does not have a listing for Desi dogs so I put a similar looking breed. Everyone please give a good look at Bonsai He is one very lucky puppy that is being saved in India. He is called a Desi dog. A pure, ancient and indigenous dog of India that abounds the Indian streets. They are highly adaptable, quick learners and resourceful and are known to be even smarter and definitely calmer than the intelligent Border Collies. Buck is only 9 weeks old as of Oct. 1st A group of wonderful people took care of him and his siblings and now have chipped in to buy him a ticket to safety. Dogs in India are not likely to get adopted so we are reaching out to this group of people in India who are working so hard to bring them to safety, one dog at a time. If you are interested in Buck please email Elaine(snip) or fill out our online application. We can send you more about this breed if you email us or look up on the internet. Bonsai will be adopted having been neutered, microchipped and up to date on all vaccines.