Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy HATES her mouth looked at. Any suggestions?

Hi Everyone ~ My 6 month old girl hates her teeth/mouth looked at which is obviously a problem in the show ring. At her first match she did kind of ok the first time but the in the second class (we did sweeps and puppy 6-9) she has having none of it. I have been working with it for quite a while but was wondering if anyone else had any creative ideas! What I have done so far: making anytime i touch her muzzle positive ~ clicks and treats, holding her muzzle for a quck kiss, peanut butter on my fingers so she can lcik and i can "play" around with her mouth ~ praising the whole time. Hotdogs in my mouth and as she comes close to take the other end lifting the lip quick then immediately spitting the hot dog in (my kids think this is so gross! lol) Just a quick peek then praise etc. I've tried not coming from above so it's not so confining/threatening. She just doesn't ike it and tends to try to back up. We have a show next weekend and I'd like to try to get her more comfortable so at least the show is a positive experience. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance! Jen

Re: Puppy HATES her mouth looked at. Any suggestions?

When I am at my computer, if my right hand is on the mouse, my left hand is petting a dog.

My eyes are on the screen, but my hand is all over the dog's head - ears, muzzle, chin, lips (even lifting lips up). The dogs think absolutely nothing of having their lips handled, so showing bites is a piece of cake.

I rub the peanut butter on the gums with my puppies, and give a cue word so they know what to expect. I use the word "smile" instead of bite- since I teach "no bite".. Practice having someone else look at the bite, while you hold her and if they will use the peanut butter on her gums...when they go to lift the lips, say the cue word. I think a lot of it is a stranger coming at them and lifting their lips...they don't know what to expect, all of a sudden a stranger is in their face getting very personal. Talk softly to her while the judge is doing the exam- praising telling her what a good girl she is. Remember if your nervous about how she is going to react, she will pick up on it and think there is something to be nervous about.

Thank-you both!

Has she finished cutting teeth? Is it possible that her gums are still sore? If so, perhaps it would be better to wait before making an issue of having her teeth examined.

Put her up on a table (grooming table, picnic table, counter). This leaves no room to "leave" and you have a bit more control over the situation! Also, taking them off of the ground takes away their sense of "control" and makes the process easier. This has helped in my experience, good luck!

Thanks for all the tips! I do not think her mouth is bothering her but I will double check and go easy just in case! Thanks again everyone! Jen :)

I was thinking teething. Mine about that age has been fine with it up until the teething. She has a couple of retained baby teeth falling out and red gums. So am giving her some time.

I agree that with some dogs it's a control issue - I now see another reason for having a grooming table :>) A couple of my dogs choose to flip their head up or sideways when I touch their head or mouth. I have to work with these dogs consistently to hold their head still for mouth exams and for the ophthalmologist when they are getting their eye screens!

I think it's a puppy thing. I constantly proof "teeth" at home, but at a show they buck around like it's the worse thing. Keep at it. They figure it out and they learn. Mine, who was a terror at 6 months, doesn't mind much at 14 months.

Thank you for all the encouraging words! I'm not as worried now. We'll just keep practicing!