Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
International Genetics

Has anyone used InGen or International Genetics to test for PRA and EIC. I have always used Optigen, however the price difference is significant. Anyone used both to test a dog?

Re: International Genetics

Yes, I have used both. I had blood samples sent to OptiGen for PRA and RD/OSD. I sent cheek swabs to International Genetics for PRA, MDR1, DM and EIC. It took three sets of samples and my insistence that my bitch was negative for PRA because both sire and dam were to get International Genetics to correct the certificate showing that their test found she was PRA positive. I was and still am concerned about the error and wondered how many other owners were told that either their dog was positive when it was negative or negative when positive. They did apologize but... They tried to tell me that they didn't make the mistake that OptiGen did. When I sent them copies of my bitch's certificate, the sire's and the dam's then they retested and magically everything was fine.

had sent swabs off to ingen for PRA, they took 3 months to get my results back and came back positive. I sent blood to Optigen and she was a carrier. Parents were Optigen A and B.....

wont use them again and I was a big fan few years back until they went overseas.

Ingen has worked well for me. And I have had dogs evaluated by both systems and gotten the same results. There seem to be a few rabid anti-Ingen people on this forum. You can listen to them or not. No lab has had a 100% perfect record, and that includes Optigen.