Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to

best critique a dog when asked? You see judges asked to critique their placements and winners. Some go into detail others are more generic with their spoken words. So how and what is best way to critique a dog before you?

Re: How to

it really depends on the dog/bitch you are critiquing. Pointing out the good things you like is always a good plan.

I like to start with the type then structure. Making comments about those things which comprise the dog's placing.

ok thanks and how would you say it as to putting it into total words, a paragraph, I guess about the dog in front of you?

Keep your critique concise.
1- What struck you first about the dog that made you place it.
2 - Brief comment on coat
3 - Brief comment on head or expression
4 - Brief comment on structure or movement

Judge Judy
Keep your critique concise.
1- What struck you first about the dog that made you place it.
2 - Brief comment on coat
3 - Brief comment on head or expression
4 - Brief comment on structure or movement

I have removed my boys name, but this is the sort of concise critique. She mentioned everything she liked about him and perhaps what she didn't, why he was placed a head of the next dog, she started at his head and worked her way down his body. I think this is a lovely critique

" such a beautiful dog to go over, for me has quality is abundance however does not quite show himself off to advantage and is possibly one who could well be overlooked for this reason, such a lovely head & expression, very balanced, with a kind intelligent look to him, he is so well put together, strong and powerful over the neck with excellent long sloping shoulders, has good width and depth of forechest and it was here I felt he had the edge over the second dog, a short dense coat of correct texture, good bone and substance for his frame, he is short coupled but still with a decent length of rib to give him balance, I thought his movement was first class, positive straight and without exaggeration. I was delighted to award him best Dog and I couldn't see past him for BIS. I wish him and his owners the very best of luck in the future."