Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Temperment in Keepers

How much does temperment figure into who you keep from your litters? If you have pups that are all basically on par with each other, do you use temperment as the deciding factor? Meaning they all have nice temperments, just different as individuals go.

TIA!

Re: Temperment in Keepers

I just sold a gorgeous female to a pet home. She had a littler nicer muzzle than my keeper but did not have a fraction of the confidence compared to the keeper. With the temperament test, nothing scared the keeper - not a spoon banging on a pan, not an umbrella in her face, nothing but she also was not dominant and she had a better retrieve drive.

We nicknamed the little nicer looking one "terrible temperament (have to say it in a cutsey voice) as we had to have all our friends, relatives, etc. play with her to get her more people oriented. "Terrible temperament" which actually wasn't too bad, is doing terrific in a pet home. I get glowing reports on her but she just didn't have a "look at me" attititude for the show ring.

I had 2 females to choose from, in a litter last summer. One was more impressive looking, more bone, better front. the smaller girl had nice angles too, but was more confident/happy all the time....I kept her. the bigger, more impressive one had a nice temperament, but would be more cautious. so I chose the more confident girl. ( she also had the darker coat ( choc. ), and prettier head. hope I chose right, we all know we often don't! LOL

If the temperament is not good, they are not keepers for me.

Temperament is KEY! especially if you plan on showing. In the 20+ yeas I've been in Labs I learned that if you don't have temperament, you don't have ANYTHING to build on. I like showing, so if my gorgeous keeper doesn not have the look at me attitude, outgoing and confident, I have learned my lesson (many many times over) and place them.

I have placed puppies that otherwise would be my picks because they were not confident or people oriented enough, and I have placed entire litters and not kept anything because I didn't like the temperament. As another poster said, they did well in pet homes. I also have kept dogs to adulthood and not bred them because they were not avid retrievers.

I was showing over the weekend an happened to be sitting next to an all breed judge. She commented that some of the Labrador temprements have gotten quite shy. My comment to her was judges put these dogs up and so people continued to show them.She said but if you like the overall dog then Temp. was just one part of the dog, I told her that with out correct temprement it was not a labrador, a bit like judging a pug with a straight tail. Don't think she was convinced.

Sorry if my original context didn't come across correctly.

Of course, temperament is key; it's a hallmark of the breed and something we all should focus on. I have pups and I trying to choose from them, all with solid temperaments, confident, people oriented, etc. I just can't make up my mind about them and was hoping someone could shed some light. Do certain temperament traits seem to work better than others? What kind of temperament do you look for in your keepers and for what reason?

I use a temperament test that grades the pups from 1 to 5. One is a dominant individual and 5 timid. I prefer pups that score mostly 3 with maybe a 4 thrown in here or there. If you want a super outgoing showman, perhaps you would want one with some 2's. Some things i focus on: does the pup come readily to a stranger with its tail up and wagging, does it accept restraint (being gently pinned on its back for 30 seconds), and then be friendly afterwards. Will it retrieve a crumpled piece of paper - best if it brings it back, but acceptable if it runs to it and returns without it. If you open an umbrella in front of it and set it down near the pup, what does it do? I prefer a pup that will hesitate for a second or two, then go up to the umbrella and sniff it. That would be a three. A pup that immediately rushes up to the umbrella and attacks it would be a one, and a pup that turns tail and runs would be a five. That would not be a good show prospect, but if that response were out of line with my other observations on that pup, I might still keep it. Is it sound sensitive, tested by hitting a metal pan with a metal spoon? When people come to visit the litter, is it outgoing and happy? Which pup is the first to leave the whelping box, to go outdoors, etc.? Does one hang back? If you have trouble luring it outside, it may be a poor breeding prospect. It's not any one thing, but the sum total impression you get from all these observations.

If the pup did well with the test at 8 weeks then became opposite of everything at 4 months. Where did pup go?

I had no idea this pup would have a temperament issue. Well socialized to sounds, sights, people, large and small,
textures on floors, cement, grass, etc. At 4 months pup became cautious more than fearful of different things. It's strange, I've been working with her in different settings, and it almost seems like she is discriminating about what she is fearful of. Now at 11 months took her to a horse race, sat at the rail with a lot of people, mostly women, no problem. We were there for at least an hour. Walking back to the car I saw a male friend, 6 ft 4 inches wearing a baseball hat. He put his hand out to say hello to her, and she was, in my mind aggressive. I shook my friends hand, chatted for a few minutes, had him give girl a cookie which she accepted, chatted again for a few mins. he went to give her another cookie and she became aggressive again. She doesn't act aggressive with women or children. Her aggression seems fearful. She's good and friendly with dogs she doesn't know. But, at home she bully's the older girls. If there is any literature you can advise, or your own experiences I would appreciate hearing from you on this forum. I think I'm spoiled, never had a temperament issue. I am working with a behaviorist. But, there's nothing like a Lab breeder for advice. Thanks

Lesson Learned
Temperament is KEY! especially if you plan on showing. In the 20+ yeas I've been in Labs I learned that if you don't have temperament, you don't have ANYTHING to build on. I like showing, so if my gorgeous keeper doesn not have the look at me attitude, outgoing and confident, I have learned my lesson (many many times over) and place them.

I'm in total agreement. I was involved in a line of occasional, fair temperaments and poor health for over 10 years. Until I figured it all out, I had 3 generations. I halted all breeding of the girls and neutered my 1 boy who later needed to be put down due to dog and human aggression. Thank God the original breeder of this line is out of the breed except for a few frozen straws hanging around from the British import male that began the breeders line.

Breeders have to know when enough is enough and not continue breeding poor lines although the pedigrees appear outstanding. Not everyone is truthful or cares about temperament or health. All breeders should.

Is it possible your 4-month old puppy had a bad experience with a man, for her to be fine with everyone, then so extreme with men?
I had this happen to me with a puppy that I found out later was neglected and abused, and I bought her back to work with her. Seven months after she left the abuser's house, she chased a man looking like him into a tree at the park. They don't forget abuse or uncomfortable situations, and some are less forgiving than others.
Dogs feel more comfortable walking forward with you holding the leash, with the scary person parallel to them, 10 feet apart, walking together for 5-10 minutes. If this is successful, then walk 5 feet apart for 5-10 minutes, then have him walk next to her. You have a relaxed leash, both people are calm and looking forward, but be ready to correct bad behavior with the leash and your voice if she reacts badly. If that happens, back off to the 10 foot distance and end on that positive note.
A fearful dog does not like to be approached by a stranger from the front, even if they have a cookie. So try the parallel walking, I have seen it work with dog aggression, don't see why it wouldn't work with fearful of men situations. And don't push her, take it nice and slow.
Good luck and good that you are working with a behaviorist.