Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud dog or not ?

Years ago we didn't call a male a stud dog until he had a litter. These days all males seem to be stud dogs ? What happened to being proven ? Just thinking.

Re: Stud dog or not ?

LOL. I actually hate calling my boys Studs. I have one male that's sired one litter. I don't even consider him a stud. I have goofy boys, that's it.

I call them my boys, though I do call my 8-year old, often used boy "my one stud dog" - the others are young, and certainly not qualified to be called studs!

I don't see that happening. Most boys are called boys or males until they are used a bit older.

Breeder
Years ago we didn't call a male a stud dog until he had a litter. These days all males seem to be stud dogs ? What happened to being proven ? Just thinking.

Hardly seems worth your time to think about. Does it really matter?

Mrs.
Breeder

This.

Mrs.
Breeder

I agree with this...

Seriously...why does this matter to you? If all studs had to be proven to be called a stud, why is the term "proven stud" so popular?

Each of my studs/boys are proven with several litters out there and CH get, but if I had a young dog I would consider him a "stud" when he is available for stud. (for me that means 2 years of age, final hips/elbows, eyes, PRA if needed, cardiac, etc)

It doesn't bother me when people call their boys studs as long as they are available for stud. It bothers me much more when people breed their bitches to a 7 month old boy on prelims. That's a puppy dog, not a stud dog. The term puppy stud should never be one that catches on.

Stud Dog
An intact male that is used for breeding purposes.

Remind me not to ask another question on here. Am sure the ones who responded already know it all. And, my 2 month old stud dog, is looking good.