Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog Food Discussion #630

Everyone is talking about %Protein vs %Fat. Does anyone know what they really mean?

Is it percentage based on weight? Based on Calories? Based on volume? What is it. Does it really make that much difference then?

Let the flames begin.

Re: Dog Food Discussion #630

Reading a package of dog food the other day - "how dogs would eat in the wild".

Is this supposed to be better? Why do companies make us draw the conclusion they want us to by stating these things.

Wild dogs do not live as long as domestic dogs and no evidence supports they are any healthier. So what? How much cost did that statement add to the bag of dog food?

If it sounds good to us, we will buy the food. Don't we want our dogs to "thrive, not just survive" on a "species appropriate" diet? Why of course we do! Not to mention all the conspiracy theorists out there - Stop the shots! Vets are getting away with murder! Grain is the devil!

I don't have answers to the questions you have posed. I am one of a rapidly growing number of pet owners (in my area anyway) who are sick and tired of self-proclaimed experts with vested interests (most notably small business owners selling products and/or services) which seem to be everywhere these days. No matter where we go, we get a lecture from someone with no real credentials who thinks they are a "nutritionist" or "holistic" or a "therapist," or who preface their advice with "I'm not a vet..." Ick and more ick!

As far as the food discussion, I found this article sane and refreshing.
http://www.tuftsdaily.com/a-taste-of-tufts-lisa-freeman-1.2714386?pagereq=1#.T29pfJjFLao

Now I'm quite sure the flames will burn bright :-)

It's Sunday

Oh yes, they would look behind a bush and find a beautiful bag with pictures of blueberries and brocolli and happy dogs on it, then they would consume all the lovely multi-colored kibbles and live happily ever after.

Kibble consists of sweepings off the floor from the processing of corn and wheat which has some vitamins added and is then churned up with some leftovers from poultry and meat processing plants, where it goes into a big machine and is chopped and formed into kibble shapes which resemble rabbit poop. After that they are covered in rancid fat which is supposed to appeal to dogs.

If I were a wild dog, I'd prefer to catch fresh rabbits!

Are they kidding?
It's Sunday

Oh yes, they would look behind a bush and find a beautiful bag with pictures of blueberries and brocolli and happy dogs on it, then they would consume all the lovely multi-colored kibbles and live happily ever after.

Kibble consists of sweepings off the floor from the processing of corn and wheat which has some vitamins added and is then churned up with some leftovers from poultry and meat processing plants, where it goes into a big machine and is chopped and formed into kibble shapes which resemble rabbit poop. After that they are covered in rancid fat which is supposed to appeal to dogs.

If I were a wild dog, I'd prefer to catch fresh rabbits!

All true - but your fresh rabbits notwithstanding, that is not sustainable. Your supply would quickly run out and you would die too young.

It is based on weight.

It is part of the process of objective comparison between brands. As an industry standard, it allows for nutritional studies and objective standards for regulation.

It's Sunday
Everyone is talking about %Protein vs %Fat. Does anyone know what they really mean?

Is it percentage based on weight? Based on Calories? Based on volume? What is it. Does it really make that much difference then?

Let the flames begin.

All I know is that what I feed makes beautiful healthy dogs with great coats. I don't care if it's sawdust. I look at the results. When I'm buying a bag of dog food I'm not so worried about how it was created, I'm interested in what it creates.

Similar to what Nancy said above. I do look at what I feed the dogs, and try to make an appropriate choice of what works for the dogs, what's affordable when feeding a pack, and try to make that choice as healthy as possible. I feed Pro Plan and many food elitists choke on that, but I have nice coats, nice stools, good muscle tone, NO health problems (especially the day to day stuff that many suffer with). I add fresh meat and other wholesome tidbits when I have something to add.

I've tried the platinum standard of premium dog foods down the the low grade varieties. I know what works on my dogs.

And as far as protein/fat, I like to stick to at least 26/16. I have one dog on something less, 24/14, and honestly I don't notice the difference with him.

Nancy Boyle
All I know is that what I feed makes beautiful healthy dogs with great coats. I don't care if it's sawdust. I look at the results. When I'm buying a bag of dog food I'm not so worried about how it was created, I'm interested in what it creates.

That's shallow. I guess longevity isn't on your list of importance as long as the dog is pretty.

wow
Nancy Boyle

I guess your vet must love you! Bet your dogs have all sorts of health problems from the sawdust!

You would probably love that W/D stuff made out of peanut hulls!

wow
Nancy Boyle

That's shallow. I guess longevity isn't on your list of importance as long as the dog is pretty.

I'm amazed at wow.

How stupid.

A dog won't have great coat, great skin, bright eyes, and good muscle tone/energy if it's not getting proper nutrition.

I also don't buy into the hype of the $75 bag of dog food. I go with what my dogs look best on and enjoy eating (which is about $35/50lb bag)

Your longevity remark is also stupid.

My first dog lived 17 healthy and happy years. She started out on Purina Puppy Chow. Graduated to Purina dog chow, and even rotated between alpo and gaines burgers (remember them?)

Why don't you get off your high horse and quit looking down your nose and those who don't subscribe to the same hype you do?

wow

Note the word "healthy". That implies long life along with good quality of life.

wow
I guess longevity isn't on your list of importance as long as the dog is pretty.

I feed ProPlan and have for years. I had a Lab live to be 16½. The majority of my dogs live 13-15 years of age, so I do care about longevity as well as pretty.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you and doesn't feed what you do doesn't mean they don't care about their dogs.

I just wish the foods that have the low quality ingredients were priced accordingly. There is a lot of advertising and promotion around foods that from a nutritional standpoint are not much better than Ol' Roy (or anything purchased in the grocery store), yet are much more expensive. If I am going to feed sawdust (or corn products, as is the case in a lot of these foods), I don't want to pay meat rates for it. While $40 is cheaper than $60, a 15 pound bag is also cheaper than a 30 pound bag - it doesn't mean it is more economical.

she really didn't say anything other than keep your pet at a good weight and pet food companies should have a nutritionist on staff. I'd love to hear what she has found to help heart health - she didn't mention that.

I have found a web site that I really like. It rates dog foods according to their ingredients/known carcinogen/quality of ingredients. I have found a new dog food for myself that is cheaper than what I was buying, so it is good even for a breeder,albeit a small one.

www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Labbylover 19732
I have found a web site that I really like. It rates dog foods according to their ingredients/known carcinogen/quality of ingredients. I have found a new dog food for myself that is cheaper than what I was buying, so it is good even for a breeder,albeit a small one.

www.dogfoodadvisor.com

That and dogfoodanalysis.com typically steer everyone to the higher priced foods. I don't buy into one person's opinion doctored up to look like an official report of findings.

RAW - I feed raw meat - a combination of beef, chicken and fish - organ meats too. This is a dog's diet. Wild rabbits if I could :-)

To "feeding dogs": just curious, have you raised any keeper pups on raw? I've always wondered if there is any difference physically between a Lab raised on raw vs. something like Pro Plan (more or less bone/coat, tone, musculature??)