Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Judges

Has anyone ever showed under Col. Jerry Weiss or Ms. Cindy Partridge? Was thinking of entering my boy in a show and they would be the two judging Labradors, so just thought I'd ask about their likes/dislikes, tooth fairy or not, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Judges

Col. Weiss. He's a fun judge to show to. Breeder/judge likes a nice typey dog that can move. Tends to prefer yellows and chocolate if he has a nice one. Likes a nice big head on the boys and likes nice angles. He doesn't care who is on the end of the leash. I've had some nice wins under him and I'm nobody.

Was thinking of bringing a black boy...

Might still go, we'll see how I feel after Potomac

Thanks for the info!

Showed to him years ago. Was sent on the down & back. When we started back I looked up to see him with his back to me. I stopped in my tracks. When he turned around, I was standing in the middle of the ring just looking at him. Do I have to tell you we didn't do anything?

I have nothing but nice things to say about Col. Weiss - I have a BOB from him from years ago and he finished a girl of mine - he is very personable, tells the truth and know a fine dog - even if I do say so ;-)

Col. Weiss, I have won under him with blacks, I think he likes a nice typey dog that can move

not my fav
Showed to him years ago. Was sent on the down & back. When we started back I looked up to see him with his back to me. I stopped in my tracks. When he turned around, I was standing in the middle of the ring just looking at him. Do I have to tell you we didn't do anything?

Some judges don't need much time to evaluate a dog to find what they like. It can take a few seconds or as long as a few minutes.

not my fav

Some judges don't need much time to evaluate a dog to find what they like. It can take a few seconds or as long as a few minutes.

I agree, but he didn't have to be rude about not liking her dog - she paid her entry fee and deserves her full 2 minutes of evaluation, whether he liked her dog or not.

not my fav

O BS! Turning your back as a judge to an exhibitor and dog that you just instructed to go down and back is absolutely rude. I don't care who the judge is and how long they're in Labradors. That's not a matter of how long it takes a judge to find what they like. It's a put down and the rudest thing a judge can do.

More then likely the judge has an idea of who he'll put up when he sees who is on the other end of the leads. Every dog and exhibitor deserve the same amount of time unless some move faster then others.

I have only shown under Col. Weiss once and it was a pleasant experience.. I had my 18 month old black boy entered in BBE. There were 4 or 5 yellows in the ring with us.. When he came into the ring he said something to me like "what are you doing in my ring with that color dog?" then he smiled... I know he prefers yellows but also prefers a typey Lab that moves well. That's why I decided to show my boy. I told him that I like to be different... After the class but before placements he asked to address us as a group.. He told us that BBE is his favorite class. Sometimes he gets discouraged at the entrants and the lack of quality in that particular class since it's his favorite. He continued to say that each and every one of our dogs in BBE that day was quality bred and we as breeders should be very proud that we produced them.. My boy did not place that day, but I was pleased anyway. While judges can do rude things, he took the time that day, to be kind and compliment all of our dogs even though there were only 4 ribbons to be given out. I would show under him again... LOL Maybe with a yellow next time.

That's rude.
not my fav

O BS! Turning your back as a judge to an exhibitor and dog that you just instructed to go down and back is absolutely rude. I don't care who the judge is and how long they're in Labradors. That's not a matter of how long it takes a judge to find what they like. It's a put down and the rudest thing a judge can do.

More then likely the judge has an idea of who he'll put up when he sees who is on the other end of the leads. Every dog and exhibitor deserve the same amount of time unless some move faster then others.

I have seen judges do that and to date I have not shown to those judges. I think it is absolutely rude. However, I have no experience with the this particular judge.