Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potomac Numbers

Entry numbers for the 2012 Specialty are posted on the LRCP's website. WOW!

Re: Potomac Numbers

good numbers 1025 dogs with a total entry of 1483!
And heard that despite the Obedience being held in a separate location, the Obedience numbers are UP!
Can't wait to see the breakdown!

Breeder
And heard that despite the Obedience being held in a separate location, the Obedience numbers are UP!

that the few sour grapes posting negatively about the LRCP can't keep a good show down. I'm glad the numbers are up and the obedience numbers are up too. Sounds a good move on the club's part.

9 more days til I get there. I'm so excited! See you all there

Well, that depends. Does the club have to pay rent for the remote site? Are there other expenses as well?

Just goes to prove.....
Breeder

that the few sour grapes posting negatively about the LRCP can't keep a good show down. I'm glad the numbers are up and the obedience numbers are up too. Sounds a good move on the club's part.

You'd better go back and look at the numbers...they are the lowest they've been for seven years.

so for you sour grapes. the obedience rental was a wash with the tent rental. And I never said Potomac numbers were up, I said the Obedience entries were up.
Give it a rest already, and go join another club.

Breeder
so for you sour grapes. the obedience rental was a wash with the tent rental. And I never said Potomac numbers were up, I said the Obedience entries were up.
Give it a rest already, and go join another club.

How about a nice course in reading comprehension?
You seem to know an awful lot about the club business, rentals and tents. Why not use your name so we can all see who is extending such a warm welcome. What a great representative of the club!

Down not up
Just goes to prove.....
Breeder

You'd better go back and look at the numbers...they are the lowest they've been for seven years.

I hadn't looked up the numbers before I responded other than it said the numbers were up in obedience. Yes, conformation are down a bit, but looking at the chart, that's typical. Some years are up and some are lower than the previous year. So what? You're just going to keep on being negative we won't care about you. Sit at home and just stew on your sour grapes with the rest of the bunch of naysayers. Those of us going want to do so and we will be having fun without you guys.

I would be interested in comparing the price of gas to the number of entries for the past 7 years!

Wow, entries are understandably down. Such a shame, but the economy is hurting and folks are prudent as can be.

I am sure it will be a great show and those in attendance will love it.

Just curious. How many people enter dogs and then don't bring any, just bring one vs. all, that kind of thing?

I will always enter an extra one. I plan on taking two but I enter three. Whoever still has coat the day I leave goes. I know several others that do the same. Coat is not looking good this year so I may take only one of the three entered.

How about we just stop talking about the obedience and all get ready to enjoy
a great show.

Breeder

Infodog says the entry is 870 dogs. And from what I was told, the ob/rally entry is down by about 50 dogs.

Interesting
Breeder

Infodog says the entry is 870 dogs. And from what I was told, the ob/rally entry is down by about 50 dogs.

The number of actual dogs competing last year in conformation was 752 according to Infodog. That is 118 dogs less *entered* than this year. I don't know how many dogs typically are entered but don't show, but does 118 absent sound like too many? I also know that the total entry (1483)reflects multiple entries such as sweeps and other non-regular classes, so actual dogs entered vs. total entries are two different things. If the total number of dogs entered is 1025 and there are 870 in conformation that would mean there would be 255 dogs competing in obedience classes. Sounds like a huge entry to me.

There are only like 27 dogs entered in regular obedience classes if you look on Infodog.

Breeder
There are only like 27 dogs entered in regular obedience classes if you look on Infodog.

Ok I tried to find the numbers on Infodog and couldn't. Is there rally too?

Just goes to prove.....
Down not up
Just goes to prove.....
Breeder

I hadn't looked up the numbers before I responded other than it said the numbers were up in obedience. Yes, conformation are down a bit, but looking at the chart, that's typical. Some years are up and some are lower than the previous year. So what? You're just going to keep on being negative we won't care about you. Sit at home and just stew on your sour grapes with the rest of the bunch of naysayers. Those of us going want to do so and we will be having fun without you guys.

The numbers are down in both. Add in the extra expenses for renting an indoor venue for 5 days. Now, add all the semen being auctioned and the $1000 or higher donation from a foreign breeder that entitles him to a reserved parking space. That comes out to a wash, due to the semen auctions that will cover renting the dark, indoor facility, less entries and lack of vendors being replied to when inquiring about space leaving open spots.

If not for the semen being donated, there would be a loss. Those breeders deserve a standing ovation, they saved the club's finances again.

Crunch no.'s

If not for the semen being donated, there would be a loss. Those breeders deserve a standing ovation, they saved the club's finances again.

I hope no one pays more than $1000 for the semen offered from current standing stud dogs - that's how much it would cost if they went directly to the stud dog owner.

As far as numbers for obedience, here are the numbers for each day:

http://www.infodog.com/files/htjpg.prg;shownum=5040
http://www.infodog.com/files/htjpg.prg;shownum=1733
http://www.infodog.com/files/htjpg.prg;shownum=3083
http://www.infodog.com/files/htjpg.prg;shownum=3084

No idea where the rally numbers are

This thread doesn't seem like a simple conversation about the final entry numbers. It seems that many people are hoping that Potomac fails. Why? It's the one spot where we can see a huge number of dogs and breeders. The judges are almost irrelevant, the infighting is irrelevant, who's running it is irrelevant. The Labradors will be there and the people who produced them will be there. Why cut off your nose to spite your face? Come and enjoy what the show offers.

Infodog lists the total rally entry for four days as 54. Some classes are empty, most have only 2 dogs entered. Way, way down. Last year there were over 130 competing in rally.

I would guess the drop in Rally numbers has to do with the show being split. Many of the usual entries also do conformation making it difficult to do both. Obedience entries are a little different, it takes a bigger commitment on time and training to title.

I am not sure if the split is a success or not. I am showing at both venues and looking forward to it.

I can’t imagine why any exhibitor would complain at this point about the numbers for this specialty. There are many many factors that can contribute to the decline of entries (e.g., economy, people breeding less, changes in one’s life that rearranges priorities, etc.).

At the end of the day does it really matter? We still get to see a spectacular amount of quality Labradors being shown in different venues. We still get to see our friends that come from near and far. What is better than that?

As far as finances, let the club leadership and members, do their job and balance the budget! As entries decline they have found creative ways to keep this show going for each and every one of us. This occurs through the match, raffle, etc. The club members and the breeders who donated items should be thanked as well.

Let’s not forget the countless hours the LRCP club members donate to put this event on for us. I will challenge each of you to stop and say thank you to club member that you see working. I will also challenge you to stop and thank the Holiday Inn staff for the incredible amount of work they do for us; whether you stay at the hotel or not.

We should all come to this spectacular event, the Woodstock of Labradors, with a positive attitude and have some great fun! This is our time to celebrate the breed we are all so dedicated to; the Labrador Retriever.

I am looking forward to seeing you all at “Potomac.” Travel safely!!!

Cheers,
Michael

As Emerson, Lake and Palmer said,Come on and enjoy the show! YES! The Woodstock of Labradors!!
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
We're so glad you could attend
Come inside! Come inside!

You've got to see the show, it's a dynamo
ELP

Yes, the numbers are in and now it is up to the LRCP to determine what they want to do next year. As for the rest of us, let's just have fun! We will have a wonderful time.

Entries are dropping everywhere, not just at this show, and I rather doubt it is due to the split venue. The economy and skyrocketing gas prices are probably playing a major role in declining entries. Im sure we all just wish the LRCP club member (yes we know who you are) would just stop HER negative comments. -

.....2011 2012 change
rally 1 29 17 -17
rally 2 47 17 -30
rally 3 35 19 -16
rally 4 20 12 -8
obed 1 21 29 +8
obed 2 24 31 +7
obed 3 21 26 +5
obed 4 35 33 -2
Total 232 184 -48

So very well said Michael!!!
Can't wait to get there and see you, and everyone else. Yes! everyone, travel safe and good luck to all!

If you really want to compare numbers you need to do it apples to apples. Compare the number listed in the beginning of the catalog for year on year. the numbers on infodog from past years reflects the absentees.

2011 is from the catalog.

I am very excited to see the upcoming puppies people are bringing and the adult dogs being shown, and the veterans whom our past is proud of.I am so happy to be able to see breeder friends who I may only get to see once a year. And to enjoy the atmosphere. If anyone in a club has ever helped make their club's specialty show happen, then they can all appreciate the work that has gone into Potomac as well. All of the clubs are losing money because of the economy. I am so surprised that people have to be so negative. Please, if you don't like it, don't go. That's simple. No one is forcing you to go and complain.