Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog food from the vet - High mark up?

Looking for inside scoop. Is there a high mark up on food from the vet? I was recommended a high fiber weigh loss from the vet. Have not found such a thing that I like the ingredients from a local store.

Any help appreciated.

Re: Dog food from the vet - High mark up?

Extremely high and I wouldn't touch the food from a vet. Depending on what your dogs issues are, you can find a food that meets their needs by doing some checking on your own.

The mark up is very high. So is the cost. I paid $20 for a 6# or 8# bag of ID kibble when my bitch had loose stools for 2 weeks post whelping. That was the only size they had left, larger bags were sold out. She didn't like the food and refused to eat it. I wound up dumping it. The local food drives for dogs don't want opened food as a donation, strictly closed.

Most PD foods sold by vets seems to be Science Diet manufactured by Hills. The same vets that tell puppy owners not to use Science Diet are selling PD's made by them. Strange but they say these are specially made for the dog's problem and of higher quality.

I'm sure doing some research you'll find a great food for what your dog's needs are. Cutting back on kibble by by 20% or 25% a day and adding vegatables to replace it like string beans, cauliflower or broccoli steamed or raw can help with weight loss. You might want to look into low calorie vegetables or other means for weight loss in the dog. Did they check the thyroid level by a blood draw?

Yes
The mark up is very high. So is the cost. I paid $20 for a 6# or 8# bag of ID kibble when my bitch had loose stools for 2 weeks post whelping. That was the only size they had left, larger bags were sold out. She didn't like the food and refused to eat it. I wound up dumping it.

I don't mean to go off topic, but I had the same thing happen to me with a Hill's prescription diet. Dog didn't like it and refused to eat it. Hill's offers a 100% satisfaction money back guarantee. I returned the unused portion of food to the vet and they refunded the amount I paid for the food. Just a thought for anyone who might be in the same situation in the future with a Hill's product. And I don't feed Hill's on a regular basis. It was a food recommended for a particular issue I was having with my dog at the time. Good to know though.

Hills Science Diet is CRAP food, with an EXTRAORDINARY mark up.

BBreeder
Hills Science Diet is CRAP food, with an EXTRAORDINARY mark up.

Absolutely true. If you need a weight loss diet for your dog, find one in the local store, exercise your dog, and feed less.

My vet and I both feed a duck and potato food. He owns the practice and pays $10 more a bag than the one that I buy at the local feed store. They are almost identical in ingredients but after the cost from the manufacturer and the must pay price demanded by VCA (became a VCA clinic a year ago so he could afford to stay in practice)his costs are much higher.

My vet sells Pro-Plan - it is more expensive at the vet than at Tractor Supply. But then he doesn't purchase as much as Tractor Supply does.

My vet only sells Pro Plan - and he everything from Pro Plan except the Shreded variety.

It was Science Diet WC that we had. The dogs poop 3 to 4 times a day. Did lose weight. Did not seem hungry before feedings but paying 94.00 plus taxes for a bag of food where I am used to paying 72.00 that they don't poop so much seems crazy. I will trying adding veggies to food. I think they just had on winter fluff anyway. She only needed to loose 5 pounds.

Thanks for the replies.

Show Dogs
It was Science Diet WC that we had. The dogs poop 3 to 4 times a day. Did lose weight. Did not seem hungry before feedings but paying 94.00 plus taxes for a bag of food where I am used to paying 72.00 that they don't poop so much seems crazy. I will trying adding veggies to food. I think they just had on winter fluff anyway. She only needed to loose 5 pounds.

Yikes! I'm sure this is what I fed to my lab years ago because someone told me her vet had prescribed it to cure anal gland problems. When I looked at the ingredient list, the first thing on there was peanut hulls!! It looks as if they are now using soy beans instead (which are very bad for dogs). My poor girl was starving on that "food" and her lack lustre coat reflected the lack of nutrients in this expensive junk. I didn't make her finish the bag.......

Yes I bet it would cure anal glads. The size of poops are amazing. No more here also.