Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chill 10

I searched the archives and noted some of you talked about liking and having great luck with chill 10. I've always used only chill 5 with great luck always but I'm in a pickle and going to be gone when they need it so it's going to have to be chill 10 for the longer days of viability needed over chill 5.

Questions for you chill 10 users please. Do you use store bought egg yolk or does it have to be fresh as in straight from the chicken house? How many of you have actually tested the chill 10 as in days over 5 as to motility? Lastly is it hard to use chill 10 with putting that yolk in? Is it one whole yolk, I'm assuming at room temp? TIA!

Re: Chill 10

Yolk is from a regular egg. I have tested it way out and the swimmers are great. I have read others that do not like it. I only use chill 10 and request stud service in chill 10

The ability for sperm to fertilize an egg (capacity) is far different from motility. Not a fan of the chill 10.

so just an egg from your carton in the fridge then. I just went to read about chill 10. It sounds complicated! It says fresh but you've not used fresh and had no issues.? How do you determine you have 20% of the yolk drawn up to put into the extender? What do you use? Do you do it like it says on rolling it around on a paper towel? Or have you mastered a better technique that you'll share? I can see myself going through a lot of eggs due to breaking them rolling them around! ha

breeder
Yolk is from a regular egg. I have tested it way out and the swimmers are great. I have read others that do not like it. I only use chill 10 and request stud service in chill 10

<<<

Of course you will get those that only use Chill 10 and swear by it.
You do not use the whole yolk. You're not suppose to get any of the clear membrane. Clean yoke only.

I have been told by people that use Chill 10 that the egg should be very fresh - and yes, it does require a bit of practice.

I use eggs fresh from my chickens, so I'm spoiled I guess. I measure 10 cc of the extender into a spare test tube, add 2 cc of egg yolk, mix gently. Then I collect the dog, put the semen in another test tube, and add the appropriate amount of the mixed extender/yolk from the previous tube. Then I give my boy the remainder of the egg for being a good boy!

Need more than motility
The ability for sperm to fertilize an egg (capacity) is far different from motility. Not a fan of the chill 10.

I've had very good luck with the Chill10 for my boy - use whatever works best for your boy. If Chill10 doesn't work for him, use something else that does!

Chill 10 works great but can be a bit tricky to do----- fresh eggs are easiest to use because their yolks stand tall and it's easier to obtain clean yolk with no membrane ( older eggs have a flatter yolk). Yes do the rolling on the paper towel until no more liquid comes off the rolling yolk! Again, fresh yolks dont break as easily during the rolling. You need to add 4cc of yolk to the vial of Chill 10 which is 20 cc.

Thank you, Breeder and Kathy! Really appreciate it! My boy does superior in chill 5 and always has. Might I think he would do well in the chill 10 too? I'm sure it's same antibiotics, etc., with just yolk added?? I think I'll do fresh due to the yolk standing taller. Makes perfect sense to me in help of not messing up. I learn quick. Thanks for sharing with me.

I use an egg separator. Cut an extraction pipette on a sharp angle. Pierce through the egg yolk membrane while it is sitting in the separator and suction from the center of the yolk. It gets easier each time you do it.

Re: Chill 10 (long)

In my previous life as a vet tech we started using the Chill 5 when it first came out and then moved everyone to the Chill 10.

We had a well used (Canada and the US) stud dog that was having issues with his sperm not living more than 48 hours in the Chill 5, so we did some tests with the Chill 10 on his sperm. I did test chills at different sperm:extender concentration amounts for him (you can do 3:1 to 5:1 extending) and for him we found that the 3ml of extender per 1ml of sperm rich fraction worked best. He maintained 90% motility at day 15!! using the Chill 10. He never looked back and never missed a breeding after that.

To get the egg yolk - take as fresh an egg as you can find, wash the shell with dish soap, dry well, cover with rubbing alcohol, leave the egg shell to air dry (about 2-5 minutes), crack the egg and separate the yolk without breaking. Gently roll the yolk on to a couple of pieces of paper towel (very important to NOT use recycled paper towel). Suspend the yolk and paper towel in the air like a hammock and roll around slowly in various directions until dry and shiny on the outside. Using a large bore needle (18gauge or larger) and a 10ml or more syringe draw out the yolk. Aim for the center of the yolk as if you get too close to the edges you will get small pieces of yolk covering proteins. If your egg is at room temperature it is easier to aspirate the yolk materials.

Hope this helps

I thank you for sharing. Why would 3-1 as opposed to 5-1 keep his semen anymore vialable? You just have more extender to feed with where as I think sometimes people(depending on concentration) don't use enough thus that would be damaging. So this dog obviously didn't do well in chill 5 w/ just those antibiotics, etc., but the added goodies in the yolk did the trick. hmmm So what's in the yolk that boosted the extender??

This is a timely thread for me~ I'm going to be using Chill 10 for the first time.... I'll be in TX so hubby will go get some fresh farm eggs for me on Saturday.... I'll practice w/ a few prior~ Wish me luck!

Sherry L. Anderson
This is a timely thread for me~ I'm going to be using Chill 10 for the first time.... I'll be in TX so hubby will go get some fresh farm eggs for me on Saturday.... I'll practice w/ a few prior~ Wish me luck!
You have it. Let us know how it goes.