Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rabies Vaccine waiver in MA?

Is there such a thing? I have a dog with autoimmune issues and he is due for his 3 yr rabies vaccine. Does anyone know the laws? Who I could contact to find out? Also if you can get a waiver due to health issues, does it apply out of state? Thanks for any help and info you can provide. I appreciate it.

Re: Rabies Vaccine waiver in MA?

Yes, there supposedly is a waiver in MA. Click on link below for a digest of the laws, then follow that up by double checking on it. Scroll down and read the comments and hints below, as well. Sometimes you have to change vets.

Crossing state lines is a whole different matter. Then it depends on the laws within that state and if the exemption comes from a vet licensed in that state, I believe. I would not do it just to do it.

Meanwhile, consider donating to the Rabies Challenge Fund, which is attempting to show prolonged immunity to rabies vaccine in this country, as the feds don't accept studies done in France for this apparently. Given the danger of rabies to all mammals, including us, it pays to be careful.

Good luck.

I live in Michigan and MI is listed as a no exemption state. I was able to get a dog license for the last 2 years with a letter from my vet stating why a rabies wasn't done. This only gets me a license though and if my senior bites someone I assume the risks. The AVMA has a policy on this now.(from Feb. 2012)

Taken from AVMA POLICY ON ANNUAL RABIES VACCINATION WAIVER:

The client must be informed that, even if a waiver is issued, the waiver only serves to allow the animal to be properly licensed in compliance with animal control regulations. In the event that the animal is involved in a potential rabies exposure incident, the animal should be considered unvaccinated against rabies for the purpose of appropriate public health regulations or when following the recommendations of the NASPHV Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control.

Here's the link.

MASSACHUSETTS
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-145b.htm

In order for a dog or cat to be accepted at an animal hospital, veterinarian's office or boarding facility an owner or keeper of such animal shall show proof of current vaccination against rabies; provided however, that if a dog or cat has not been so vaccinated or such owner or keeper fails to show such proof the animal shall be vaccinated against rabies prior to being discharged if the animal's medical condition permits.

Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 140, Section 137 http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section137
§ 137. Registration and licenses
A person who at the commencement of a license period is, or who during any license period becomes, the owner or keeper of a dog six months old or over which is not duly licensed, and the owner or keeper of a dog when it becomes six months old during a license period, shall cause it to be registered, numbered, described and licensed until the end of such license period, and the owner or keeper of a dog so registered, numbered, described and licensed during any license period, in order to own or keep such dog after the beginning of the succeeding license period, shall, before the beginning thereof, cause it to be registered, numbered, described and licensed for such period. The registering, numbering, describing and licensing of a dog, if kept in Boston shall be in the office of the police commissioner or if kept in any other town in the office of the clerk thereof.
No town clerk or, in Boston, the police commissioner, shall grant such license for any dog unless the owner thereof provides such town clerk or, in Boston, the police commissioner, either a veterinarian's certification that such dog has been vaccinated in accordance with the provisions of section one hundred and forty-five B, or has been certified exempt from such provision as hereinafter provided, or a notarized letter from a veterinarian that a certification was issued or a metal rabies tag bearing an expiration date indicating that such certification is still in effect.
A dog licensing official may grant an exemption from the provisions of section one hundred and forty-five B for any dog which has not yet attained the age of six months, any dog which the local board of health, for a specified period of time, declared exempt upon presentation of a veterinarian's certificate stating that because of an infirmity, other physical condition or regimen of therapy, that inoculation is thereby deemed inadvisable, or any dog in transit, or dog brought into the commonwealth, temporarily, for the sole purpose of showing in dog shows or exhibition.