Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Police dog

I have a question. A friend of mine has recently acquired a stray Labrador. He's a beautiful boy, found near a creek out in the woods. There was an accident and the tow driver who came to pull the vehicle out of the creek saw a purebred Labrador just wandering around at 2am. He made sure the dog wasn't part of the accident then decided he couldn't leave him there. He was with animal control for weeks and when no one claimed him he was placed in a home. The girl who has him feels he needs something to focus on and is considering some type of training, ie. bomb dog, drug detection, etc. She's taken him to her vet who thinks he is a little over a year old. He's in the western NY area. My question is how to you get a dog started with this type of training?

Re: Police dog

Police dog training is not generally available to the general public. It's expensive and intense. Typically an organization will evaluate and purchase/adopt the dog permanently. There are contacts for that but it sounds like this person wants to keep the dog. If the dog needs a "job", tell the owner to look for a dog training club that offers agility, tracking, obedience, and rally. And/or find a hunt training club or trainer.

Re: Search and Rescue work

or what about the girl and dog look into search and rescue training, doing something together and with a greater purpose :) this area is open to civilians, tell her to look for a group in her area.

Thank you for the great suggestions. I wish I knew this boys' story. He was found near Machias, NY about 30 miles north of Olean, NY. Olean isn't far from the PA line. Numerous attempts to find his owner, but no one claimed him. He's a young, intact yellow male. Seems a shame he was left to wander.

:)
or what about the girl and dog look into search and rescue training, doing something together and with a greater purpose :) this area is open to civilians, tell her to look for a group in her area.

Search and rescue is a great service and a big time commitment. It takes years to get certified. The owner has to get experience in search and rescue without K9 before doing K9 training. There are lots of things you need to know before going out with a dog. Get started now.

Yes, that's true. Years ago I placed a puppy with a law enforcement officer who was into search & rescue. The dog ended up getting certified before his owner.

I think the lady who has the yellow lab will find a niche for him. Poor guy has been through enough in his short life already.

http://www.fema.gov/emergency/usr/canine.shtm

Hi, I have provided a link for your friend to start her search. S&R is a lifestyle, it requires hours of training & work each & every week of the year. Also many weekends away from home on special courses that are required to become an effective handler in disaster situations. Required courses can take years of study as already mentioned. Certification titles are the hardest training titles I have ever experienced. Usually 3 part, the search, obedience, dexterity. Each one requires a pass, the required courses for the handler, include things like lst Aid & CPR, Advanced Vet lst Aid, Mapping & GPS, Roping & Repelling, Outdoor survival....etc, etc. The handler must be fit, healthy and typically have deep pockets as other than deployment, almost all of the training and travel is at ones own expense.
It is also one of the most rewarding things you can do with your canine partner. Good luck to your friend.