Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Taste of The Wild-HELP

Should a 6 month old puppy be on Taste of the Wild dog food. I am keeping a pet pup for a week. Food stunk, puppy skinny. 10 lbs I would say lighter than mine. Pup has way more energy than any of mine ? Could someone feed in on any of this. I will listen.

Re: Taste of The Wild-HELP

They should not be on the adult TOW formula- calcium & phosphorous ratios are too high. They do make a TOW puppy now.

There is supposedly one TOTW formula OK for pups. I think it's the one with bison. It has the right C/PH ratios.

Though I am not sure why so many folks want to put their pups on these relatively new foods and disregard the breeders' advice over a food that has worked for years. So many pet folks would fall over dead if you told them they had to feed Pro Plan, Euk or Diamond.

But what works for our winning show dogs doesn't really count.

I don't have any comments on the pup side of things. I did switch my gang over to TOTW Pacific Stream Formula last Spring when one of mine had lymphoma. One of the sales assoicates at PetValu talked me into it. I did do some research on it when I brought it home.

Right now, one of the ones who has been on it for a year has an eye condition that I think might be related to the food so I took him off of it and put him back on Eukanuba. I will have his eyes rechecked (I believe I might be able to see what the vet showed me with a flashlight) in a bit.

I have another one on it and his poop stinks to no end. His coat stinks too. Not sure if it is the food but I may be taking him off of it too.

My 13 year old was never switched over to it. Hhe has been on Eukanuba for 13 plus years and has not had any problems whatsoever.

I am not a breeder, just a Lab Lover with 5 gang members.

I can't comment on the puppy TOTW - but when I checked into the Bison that I was using for the adults - it had way too much calcium for pups.

I am using the duck now - has a few less protein sources. No way to know if it is making any difference.

had a puppy owner contact me about their 3 month old, she was feeding TOTW puppy.
pup was under weight due to stinky loose stools, was to lean, no fat at all over body. Vet said he was not thriving.

we had her switch to Pro Plan All Stage and with in 2 weeks the bowels were back to normal and the puppy was gaining weight and looking like a puppy.

I don't know whether it's appropriate for a puppy, although I would think at 6 months they are old enough. I think it's the lamb formula that is supposed to be ok.

I've got all my gang (young adults to seniors) on the lamb formula of TOTW and they are all doing GREAT in terms of energy, coats, bright eyes and weight maintenence. I've fed both Eukanuba and Pro-Plan in the past and while it worked for those dogs at that time, at this moment, this is working better for the dogs I've got.

As for the dog being higher energy and lower weight than dogs destined for the show ring, I'm not necessarily sure that's a bad thing (coming from someone who does performance).

OP, Could it simply be that your pup is 10 lbs overweight?

Activity level could simply be a personality or environment thing. The fact that the TTW "smells" is also pretty subjective.

Does the pup have bad stool? Does it appear unhealthy in any other way?

Breeder help
Should a 6 month old puppy be on Taste of the Wild dog food. I am keeping a pet pup for a week. Food stunk, puppy skinny. 10 lbs I would say lighter than mine. Pup has way more energy than any of mine ? Could someone feed in on any of this. I will listen.