Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Panacur side effects?

My 20 month old boy had his first dose of Panacur suspension yesterday. Both this morning and this evening, he ate very little food. He's had his second dose and will get his third tomorrow. Except for being off his food, he seems happy.

Has anyone experienced this side effect from Panacur? I haven't before.

Re: Panacur side effects?

Yes, almost every time.

Breeder
My 20 month old boy had his first dose of Panacur suspension yesterday. Both this morning and this evening, he ate very little food. He's had his second dose and will get his third tomorrow. Except for being off his food, he seems happy.

Has anyone experienced this side effect from Panacur? I haven't before.

According to my vet, it tastes disgusting. He warned me in no uncertain terms NOT to put it on her food because she may leave the food and then I'd never be able to get it into her. I tried very hard to squirt it into her mouth of my elderly Lab (using a syringe without the needle) but after we had made a mess all over the kitchen, I put it on her food - and she ate it! She was a Lab, after all!! {LOL} I don't remember her having any problems, but I don't think she EVER left her food or had a decreased appetite in her whole life.

I'm the original poster. My boy is getting his Panacur mixed with a sugar solution in a syringe so that he will get it down. The side effect of being off his food is not because the Panacur is in the food.

Thanks

Not true, it is because of the Panacur.
Happens every time.
I do my litters at 7 weeks and after 2 days they really slow down in eating and start not finishing. One more day on it and then back to normal a few days later.
It causes upset stomach, but worth it.

just did my dogs and pups no problems at all.

yuck
According to my vet, it tastes disgusting. He warned me in no uncertain terms NOT to put it on her food because she may leave the food and then I'd never be able to get it into her. I tried very hard to squirt it into her mouth of my elderly Lab (using a syringe without the needle) but after we had made a mess all over the kitchen, I put it on her food - and she ate it! She was a Lab, after all!! {LOL} I don't remember her having any problems, but I don't think she EVER left her food or had a decreased appetite in her whole life.

Funny you should mention this. I bought the horse dewormer and gave it at the recommended canine dose that I found online. I used it for giardia and gave a three day dose (total treatment dose divided by 3 and given the 1/3 of a dose each day.). Stools have improved on the two dogs I dewormed. My puppy couldn't wait for her dose and took it straight from the syringe. She loved the taste of the Safeguard.

Safeguard

Funny you should mention this. I bought the horse dewormer and gave it at the recommended canine dose that I found online. I used it for giardia and gave a three day dose (total treatment dose divided by 3 and given the 1/3 of a dose each day.). Stools have improved on the two dogs I dewormed. My puppy couldn't wait for her dose and took it straight from the syringe. She loved the taste of the Safeguard.

To original poster, research and you will see Panacur / Safeguard has very little side effects, vomiting due to taste or upset stomach is the biggest issue. a very small number of dogs may show an allergic reaction to it but these would be dogs already dealing with allergies.

to Safeguard......
using safeguard for giardia requires a 5 day treatment.
And by not giving the correct dosage every day it can not do its job, in fact you are only allowing your parasites the chance to build up a resistance.

with the paste you must give 4 times the amount, it would be the same as 400lbs dose for a horse every day for 3 days or 5 days for giardia

hmmmm

to Safeguard......
using safeguard for giardia requires a 5 day treatment.
And by not giving the correct dosage every day it can not do its job, in fact you are only allowing your parasites the chance to build up a resistance.

with the paste you must give 4 times the amount, it would be the same as 400lbs dose for a horse every day for 3 days or 5 days for giardia

The last time I treated for giardia, my vet gave me a 3 day treatment.

And do you give a 400lb dose a day or do you divide it up between the 5 day @ 80/lb a day? Based on what weight? Your numbers do not compute.

giardia treated with panacur/ safeguard requires 5 days of treatment.

While the safeguard is off label for dogs, many vets will suggest the liquid form for goats at 1cc per 4 lbs.(4 times the dosage for livestock) This is a 10% suspension.

the paste wormer is not suggested for dogs due to the carrier and no guarantee the active ingredient will be dosed correctly.

although the active ingredients are the same, when you cross label with horse, cattle or goats. You have to have the knowledge that their systems work completely different than a canines an the canine requires a higher dosage of these meds.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Rx_Info_Sheets/rx_fenbendazole.pdf

http://www.vetinfo.com/treating-canine-parasites-fenbendazole-dogs.html

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/21300.htm

http://www.drugs.com/pro/safe-guard-fenbendazole-paste.html