Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SUV VS Van

Looking to trade in my grand caravan for a smaller more economical vehicle. Usually only have one dog, maybe two. Possibly looking at a Toyota RAV4?? Any advice before I start looking and measuring? Thanks!

Re: SUV VS Van

one thing I found when I was shopping for an SUV is that in many of the SUVs out there the back seats don't fold down flat. They are on an angle so any crate you put in has your dog at an angle. I had to rule out several SUVs that I was interested in for this reason.

SUV owner
one thing I found when I was shopping for an SUV is that in many of the SUVs out there the back seats don't fold down flat. They are on an angle so any crate you put in has your dog at an angle. I had to rule out several SUVs that I was interested in for this reason.

This is true. My cargo area in my SUV is like that. Simple fix though. Took a 2x4, cut it to width of cargo area, covered in carpet and placed towards rear of area to prop underneath crates to make them level. Works good enough.

I drive the new 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the stow and go feature, plus many other really cool features. The gas mileage on the 6 cylinder is really good. I've gotten 25+ MPG on the highway. Plenty of power. There is still so much room in the new vans to put 4-400 crates and all your stuff on top of that. The side windows roll down like a car now, the back windows pop out. Lots of air flow if necessary. The floor is still low enough for even my puppies to jump up into.

Van Driver
I drive the new 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the stow and go feature, plus many other really cool features. The gas mileage on the 6 cylinder is really good. I've gotten 25+ MPG on the highway. Plenty of power. There is still so much room in the new vans to put 4-400 crates and all your stuff on top of that. The side windows roll down like a car now, the back windows pop out. Lots of air flow if necessary. The floor is still low enough for even my puppies to jump up into.

http://www.familycarguide.com/news/1075167_2012-chrysler-town-country-dodge-grand-caravan-recall-alert

breaking news - be aware!
Van Driver

http://www.familycarguide.com/news/1075167_2012-chrysler-town-country-dodge-grand-caravan-recall-alert

Well lucky for me it only affects 289 out of the thousands sold and was made within a certain time frame, but if you see me driving down the highway and my rear tire falls off......

RH
Looking to trade in my grand caravan for a smaller more economical vehicle. Usually only have one dog, maybe two. Possibly looking at a Toyota RAV4?? Any advice before I start looking and measuring? Thanks!

I know of a few friends that have the RAV4. It holds 2 crates depending on size and type.

You might want to look at the new style 2013 FordExplorer. I've seen them on the road and they're good looking. It's much larger then a RAV4 and the gas mileage they claim is 18 city, 25 hwy mpg. I think they have the option of pushing a button to put the seats down flat. Check the Ford site.

The RAV4 is great but you're limiting yourself to a maximum of 2 dogs depending on how large your crates are. Alot depends on how many dogs you want to carry most of the time.

Take your time and find the right vehicle for you.

We're planning to buy a Honda Pilot. I read on a review site that you can lay an entire 4'x8' sheet of plywood flat in the back (with the rear hatch tied open*.) That makes me think it will be plenty wide enough for crates to sit flat as well.

*note- I'm not planning to transport my dogs with the hatch open! :D

Put my Dodge Grand Caravan to rest in Sept and bought a Honda Pilot. I love it! I bought 2 SUV crates and I can comfortably carry 3 crates. Seats fold down, but a little angled, though not bad enough to cause concern. I get the same mileage as with the van, about 17 mpg highway, which is what I mostly drive. I have a ramp for dogs to get in and out, but most of mine don't like to use it. I was considering the step that is inserted into the hitch in the rear. I couldn't be happier.

The amazing thing is, my full size diesel van gets 17-18 mpg and fits LOTS of crates (I can easily fit 5 full-size crates on the bottom with a couple stacked on top), full size sheets of plywood with the doors CLOSED and lots of other things. I see no reason to buy a smaller vehicle that gets similar gas mileage if I ever want to take more than 1-2 dogs.

I to have a Honda Pilot. Mine is a 2003, first model year and will most likley replace it with another when it dies (hopefully, not for a while, another reason I bought a Honda). I love my Pilot, it rocks.

I can get two 400s side by side in the back with the 3rd row down, and if I put down the middle seat, I can get a 3rd crate in sideways. Yes, the MIDDLE seat doesn't fold completley flat, but I just prop up the crate. I usually only haul one or two dogs with me anyhow, but if I need to take everyone, I can.

Gas mileage is anywhere from 16 in the winter around town, to 24 on the highway in the summer. I do wish that gas mileage was better, but there is hardly anything better on the market at the moment, not worth buying something new. I chose a SUV because I use my vehicle for other things other than dogs and needed the ground clearance it has.

I would be curious what the mileage would be if it was diesel. Maybe Honda will make one someday.

My Ford Transit holds four crates, plus room on top for another row if I really needed it, and gas mileage is 24 mpg, mixed town and country driving. Not recommended if you want a really comfortable, quiet ride, but it's a great dog car.