Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
stewarding

I was curious if anyone knew why the steward was following the judge, Mrs. Prior today at Potomac (a.m.) There were many around me inquiring, and all I know is that in the AKC rulebook it states..."stewards should keep in mind that they have been selected to help the judge and not to advise him. They should carefully refrain from discussing or SEEMING to discuss the dogs or the exhibitors with the judge and should, under no circumstances show of give the appearance..."
Perhaps someone could clarify...it made the exhibitors and those ringside uneasy...but maybe there is a logical explanation for what the steward and judge were doing? Was it a difference in protocol that the steward was helping the English judge with?

Re: stewarding

I'm not there, so I can only guess. I have seen this before when a large specialty has a British judge. Often the British judge has asked the steward to stay close, and walk them through the ring procedure, which is quite different here, what with different classes and all. I would not think anything about it, the steward is assisting, not advising on selections.

Re: stewarding

It was just a misunderstanding of our rules here in the states and was corrected.