Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help - sick service dog

I need your help please. One of our service puppies is very very sick.
In the last 11 hours he cannot walk or use his limbs, he seems disoriented and, is in horrible pain crying out. He is close to expiring and we have no idea why. No temperature. Vitals are ok. He was at Orcus island with his trainer swimming in the ocean.
He is 7 months old. Has all his vaccines and has not had any recently.

PLEASE IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS COME FORWARD

Pup is at vet on iv fluids and sedated be aide of pain. Blood panel hasn't come back.

Re: Help - sick service dog

Hi Allison,
Any chance there was blue green algae in the water where they were swimming? I am so sorry! Sending all my good thoughts.

http://www.sdstate.edu/vs/extension/drought/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=730434

We have been wondering that too. Thanks I'll check the link.

Are there poisonous jellyfish there? Severe Jellyfish symptoms can even impede breathing. I don't know where Orcus island is or what local jellyfish are there. Find an oceanic biology expert, or ask a lifeguard.

Check for a tick. I wonder if this could possibly be tick paralysis.

If it is, removal of the tick will solve the problem!

More on tick paralysis

From the Merck Veterinary Manual:

Clinical Findings:
Early signs may include change or loss of voice (due to laryngeal paresis), hindlimb incoordination, change in breathing rate and effort, gagging or coughing, regurgitation or vomiting, and pupillary dilation. Hindlimb paralysis begins as slight to pronounced incoordination and weakness. As paralysis ascends, the animal becomes unable to move hindlimbs and forelimbs, stand, sit, or lift its head. Sensation usually is preserved. Breathing abnormality is of greater prognostic importance than limb paralysis. Respiratory rate may initially increase but, as the disease progresses, becomes slower and obviously labored, especially on expiration. Regurgitation of esophageal contents, saliva pooling, depression of the gag reflex, and attempts to clear the throat may produce a characteristic harsh, groaning respiratory sound. Temperature is normal in the early stages. Paralyzed animals with low body mass (especially cats) may become hypothermic. Conversely, animals kept at high ambient temperatures may need to cool themselves by panting, adding to respiratory difficulty.
Blood and fluid values are unchanged in the early stages. Increased PCV indicates a fluid shift into the lungs and a poor prognosis. Other changes may include increased blood glucose, cholesterol, phosphate, and CK, and a decrease in blood potassium. In electrophysiologic studies, motor nerve conduction velocities, nerve compound action potentials, and compound potentials from the corresponding muscles are all decreased. The electroencephalogram is normal.

I had something like this in a 16 month old dog 2 weeks ago. Woke up one morning, could not stand, could barely walk, in severe pain. Able to eat.. and no temp.
Tick panel Snap 4) done the week before was normal...
Took to vet.. All blood work again normal including a repeat of the tick panel. Wrist joints slightly swollen and painful in multiple joints.

Despite this, the pup was treated with Doxycycline and within 24 hours was normal again. She is now on Doxy for 1 month.

Good luck with your pup....

Kim S
I had something like this in a 16 month old dog 2 weeks ago. Woke up one morning, could not stand, could barely walk, in severe pain. Able to eat.. and no temp.
Tick panel Snap 4) done the week before was normal...
Took to vet.. All blood work again normal including a repeat of the tick panel. Wrist joints slightly swollen and painful in multiple joints.

Despite this, the pup was treated with Doxycycline and within 24 hours was normal again. She is now on Doxy for 1 month.

Don't forget that the Snap 4 test will only show infection 3 weeks or so after a bite, so a recent infection will not show up.

If she improves on the Doxy, that will show that she probably DOES have a tick borne disease.

I fell into the same trap myself when my dog woke up with such a stiff neck that she could barely lift it off the ground. The vet did a Snap 4 and was then stumped as to what the problem could be. Fortunately, in our case the problem went away and we put it down to sleeping in a draught!

Re: More on tick paralysis

Lab Lover

Clinical Findings:
Early signs may include change or loss of voice (due to laryngeal paresis), hindlimb incoordination, change in breathing rate and effort, gagging or coughing, regurgitation or vomiting, and pupillary dilation. Hindlimb paralysis begins as slight to pronounced incoordination and weakness. As paralysis ascends, the animal becomes unable to move hindlimbs and forelimbs, stand, sit, or lift its head. Sensation usually is preserved. Breathing abnormality is of greater prognostic importance than limb paralysis. Respiratory rate may initially increase but, as the disease progresses, becomes slower and obviously labored, especially on expiration. Regurgitation of esophageal contents, saliva pooling, depression of the gag reflex, and attempts to clear the throat may produce a characteristic harsh, groaning respiratory sound. Temperature is normal in the early stages. Paralyzed animals with low body mass (especially cats) may become hypothermic. Conversely, animals kept at high ambient temperatures may need to cool themselves by panting, adding to respiratory difficulty.
Blood and fluid values are unchanged in the early stages. Increased PCV indicates a fluid shift into the lungs and a poor prognosis. Other changes may include increased blood glucose, cholesterol, phosphate, and CK, and a decrease in blood potassium. In electrophysiologic studies, motor nerve conduction velocities, nerve compound action potentials, and compound potentials from the corresponding muscles are all decreased. The electroencephalogram is normal.

What disease/condition is this describing???

Re: More on tick paralysis

huh
Lab Lover

Clinical Findings:

What disease/condition is this describing???

tick paralysis in dogs.

Service dog Emergency over

It's with a heavy heart that I tell you the young service dog did not make it. The doctors tried valiantly to save him. The source of his illness is still a mystery. A necropsy will be done. It is thought to be toxic or a brain tumor.

I want to add that although this pup had a short life what he did have was filled with joy. He had many happy days. That is what his trainer and I will hold onto :)

I would like to thank everyone on the list who wrote and tried to help. This forum is so valuable in instances such as these when you have a sick dog and you can reach so many people for information and assistance.

Thank you Jill for having this forum and thank you to the people who put it to good use, to help our dogs.

Re: Service dog Emergency over

So very sorry.

So sorry for your incredible loss...

So very sorry for this little baby and all of you. Its a heartbreaking ending to such a short happy life.