Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poopy Pup

Hi I was wondering if someone could help shed some light on this issue. I have a pup 15 weeks that has been pooping in her crate at night. (Started about 3 1/2 weeks ago) Seem's like her pooping routine is at night rather then the daytime. She starts pooping around 8:00pm, poop is solid pieces. Then again before bedtime around 10:30pm, still solid poop. Pup wake's up around 2:30 am, goes outside poops but it's starting to go soft. Then, she goes again about an hour or so later in her crate, poop is soft. Then 7:00am, poop is more like runny consistency and a bit gel like. Then she's done and doesn't poop again for over 12 hours and starts the cycle over again, starting out with solid poop again. I've had a fecal float done along with the vet sending it away for Parasites, Giardia, Coccidia, every thing came back negative. I'm trying her on probiotics along with some Kefir, she's been on this for about 2 weeks now and I don't see any improvement. She was on antibiotics at 9 weeks for a UTI. I know that can disrupt their stomach but that was 6 weeks ago. Also, I feed her RC Maxi Puppy- 1 cup 3 times a day, last feeding at 6:30pm. Any thoughts? Thanks in Advanced.

Re: Poopy Pup

This often happens when puppies are teething, she's most likely cutting some molars at this age. Try feeding her last meal a bit earlier and add some baby rice cereal to her moistened kibble. This has worked for me with puppies in the past. Best of luck....

Sounds odd. Is four times a day about right for a kibble-fed dog? I'm a raw feeder and my pup goes 3 times a day BUT I believe she may have an allergy to certain proteins, in which case her poop is softer and she goes more frequently! Perhaps switching to a different protein source would help.

You might also find that the kefir isn't helping if she has an allergy to cassein.

I agree with the previous poster who suggested feeding that supper time meal earlier. We feed supper at 5 pm and get a poop at 7 pm ish or, if not, before bed time.

I also found that the RC Maxi Puppy is a tad Rich (and made some of my puppy's poops softer) so I give all of my keeper pups Royal Canin Medium Puppy and it does a great job.