Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cancer risk with lawn chemicals and insect growth regulators

I grew up in coal country and was raised to respect the role of the canary in the coal mine. I note this abstract. Professionally applied lawn chemicals, flea and tick products, and insect-growth regulators were studied for their connection to lymphoma in dogs. Not having the full article, I don't now if the "self applied insect growth regulators" include those in flea and tick products or household sprays or what. See website link below for the publication information.
CK

ABSTRACT

Epidemiologic studies of companion animals offer an important opportunity to identify risk factors for cancers in animals and humans. Canine malignant lymphoma (CML) has been established as a model for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). Previous studies have suggested that exposure to environmental chemicals may relate to development of CML.
We assessed the relation of exposure to flea and tick control products and lawn-care products and risk of CML in a case-control study of dogs presented to a tertiary-care veterinary hospital (2000-2006). Cases were 263 dogs with biopsy-confirmed CML. Controls included 240 dogs with benign tumors and 230 dogs undergoing surgeries unrelated to cancer. Dog owners completed a 10-page questionnaire measuring demographic, environmental, and medical factors.
After adjustment for age, weight, and other factors, use of specific lawn care products was associated with greater risk of CML. Specifically, the use of professionally applied pesticides was associated with a significant 70% higher risk of CML (odds ratio(OR)=1.7; 95% confidence interval (CI)=1.1-2.7). Risk was also higher in those reporting use of self-applied insect growth regulators (OR=2.7; 95% CI=1.1-6.8). The use of flea and tick control products was unrelated to risk of CML.
Results suggest that use of some lawn care chemicals may increase the risk of CML. Additional analyses are needed to evaluate whether specific chemicals in these products may be related to risk of CML, and perhaps to human NHL as well.

Re: Cancer risk with lawn chemicals and insect growth regulators

Charlotte K.
I don't now if the "self applied insect growth regulators" include those in flea and tick products or household sprays or what. See website link below for the publication information.
CK

I like to play it safe and use the smallest amount of chemicals necessary on my dogs.

A dead insect is a dead insect so why do we need Insect Growth Regulators if the spot-on treatment really works? I go out of my way to buy the Frontline regular, not the plus.

Good points, Lab Lover.

Posted by Lab Lover: A dead insect is a dead insect so why do we need Insect Growth Regulators if the spot-on treatment really works? I go out of my way to buy the Frontline regular, not the plus.

This is something that I have suspected for a long time. I have a warning about lawn chemicals in my contract. I never have used lawn pesticides and have what is called a "freedom lawn". . . one that is mowed crabgrass. With that said, I have never had lymphoma in my own dogs for the 22 years that I have been breeding. A few of the dogs I have sold have succumbed to lymphoma. They were sold to wealthier buyers that might be more inclined to use lawn pesticides.

I do use Frontline and Advantix. We are in a tick infested area and it is necessary to do so. This has not been a problem.

My Labs are like cows. They graze my property. It is common sense that eating grass coated with pesticides no matter how natural these pesticides are can't be healthy.

To my knowledge - IGRs (insect growth regulators) are species specific - they only work on the insect - interrupting the reproductive cycle of the insect. The IGR doesn't have any affect on the dog - it is species specific. Learned this from an entomologist that studied the IGRs.
this is the great thing about IGRs is that it only works to stop the reproduction of the insect - has no killing potential

IGRs
To my knowledge - IGRs (insect growth regulators) are species specific - they only work on the insect - interrupting the reproductive cycle of the insect. The IGR doesn't have any affect on the dog - it is species specific. Learned this from an entomologist that studied the IGRs.
this is the great thing about IGRs is that it only works to stop the reproduction of the insect - has no killing potential

That's what the chemical companies would like us to believe! That's fine if they will be applied to the environment, but I'm not putting them on MY dog.

We had fles once on the side yard and sprayed the flea growth regulator. When cleaning up the side later the Salamanders that I uncovered were deformed. It does cross species! Be safe.

We have a company treat our front yard with lawn chemicals & insect regulators.
We asked if it was safe for the dogs. The company said it is supposed to be, owner is a friend of ours. We then asked about having the back treated(where the dogs are). He told us he wouldn't treat the back because of the dogs. Doesn't care how safe the chemicals are supposed to be, he would chance the dogs becoming ill.