Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Books/Tips on showing?

Anyone recommend books on learning the ropes of the show ring or any tips off the top of your head to share?

Helping a newbie. Would like to start a list.

Do not crowd other dogs or handlers.

Congratulate who has won.

Wear comfortable shoes.

Do not stink of perfume. Some people allergic.

Be on time.

Relax

Watch you dog at all times. And other dogs as a lot of people don't.

Re: Books/Tips on showing?

I have a couple of tips to offer:
Know where the judge is at all times so you have your dog looking good when they look your way.
Along with that pay attention when the judge is making selections, you wouldn't want to miss out on a placement. If you aren't sure if they pointed to you or the dog next to you go to where the judge instructed. If it was the dog next to you instead of your's the judge will let you know.
Don't put bait in the dog's mouth when the judge is getting ready to examine the bite.
Train your dog to stand back away from you a bit when free baiting. It allows them to hold their head in a natural position as you keep the bait about hip level. Toplines look better and it shows off your dog.
Before you move as a group ask the person behind you to give you a little room when moving so they don't run up on you. A good judge will not allow this nonsense in their ring but it does happen.
As for books George Alson's book is good
Secrets of Show Dog Handling by Migliorini
The great Frank Sabella wrote a super book on handling that is out of print now. Mabye one of the vendors at the dog shows that carry old books may have it.

no filthy, smelly dogs,,,
don't throw bait or toys
no braless, low cut tops,,
skirts to short
pants to tight,,,
take pride in yourself and dog !!!

Dress like you are going to a job interview.
No jeans (pet peeve of mine) - disrespectful to the judge
Ensure that your dog is clean - I bath mine before shows and it hasn't hurt a bit at AB or Specialties. Ensure your dog's nails are trimmed/dremelled and ears are clean.
When you go around the ring as a group, if you are the first dog, ask the people behind you if they are ready before you bolt out of the starting gate ..
Ensure you do a straight line on the down and back - no wobbling all over.

If you are showing at a mulit day AB show they often have free handling classes for exhibitors after BIS. Several professional handlers work one on one with you and your dog - avail yourself of this!! I do and it helps tremendously .. if you have a problem they will give you tips on how to sort it out.

WOW! What nice, constructive advice to those of us who are still new to this game! I have a mentor who will, I'm sure, see her reward in heaven. She has the patience of a saint but I think she may want to tear her hair out at times! I will make a note of these books and these suggestions so that I can be a little more self-confident. Thank you all!

older generation
don't throw bait or toys
skirts to short
pants to tight,,,

I think I was at this show over the weekend! Add, buttons buttoned and zippers zipped. I had to show with a gentleman with a lovely button down shirt/matching tie combo that was ruined by the view of plaid boxers from an open fly! LOL!

Miss Snarky
older generation
don't throw bait or toys
skirts to short
pants to tight,,,

I think I was at this show over the weekend! Add, buttons buttoned and zippers zipped. I had to show with a gentleman with a lovely button down shirt/matching tie combo that was ruined by the view of plaid boxers from an open fly! LOL!

That is sad you did not tell him and instead come on here to laugh at him. I know I have told people ringside before and they were mortified but thankful someone spoke up.

OP might want to add common courtesy to the list.

wow
Miss Snarky
older generation
don't throw bait or toys
skirts to short
pants to tight,,,

That is sad you did not tell him and instead come on here to laugh at him. I know I have told people ringside before and they were mortified but thankful someone spoke up.

OP might want to add common courtesy to the list.

Who said no one told him? Point being, make sure your act is together BEFORE you get in the ring....