Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breeder of Merritt - not a very tough title to get

Wow I think Almost anyone could be a breeder of Merritt.

Breed any one dog and put four titles on it and you qualify ( in terms of titles)

There you go, you literally only have to breed one litter and put any four titles on one to four dogs from that litter and you qualify (in terms of titles required)

I personally have bred way more champions and thought when I applied for this breeder of Merritt program it would be a true acknowledgement of my hard work but it's not because it isn't that hard to get the title at all.

Re: Breeder of Merritt - not a very tough title to get

First off, you could at LEAST spell it right if you are going to cry about it.
Second you do not have a very good understanding of the requirements.
It is not ONE dog, it's FOUR dogs with some kind of title.
Whats wrong, did you get denied and your sour grapes now?

Re: Breeder of Merit - not a very tough title to get

Your wrong...it's not four dogs. It can be one dog with four titles.

Call and ask the AKC if you think I am wrong.

No sour grapes....I just think the AKC didn't see that coming.

YES, one dog with four titles will qualify you to be a Breeder of Merit (under their title requirements).

I know of someone who has 4 titles on two dogs and they got their breeder of merit.

Check it out......................

No I didn't get denied. I am proudly a member.

I think the wording is very poor but if you look at the application, there are FOUR spaces for FOUR dogs to be written in.

correction

I spoke with the AKC yesterday....it does NOT have to be four dogs.
It can be as little as one dog with four titles. The key being four titles.

Without sarcasm.....honestly how does that make you feel about the value of the title now? Does it diminish it's value a to you even a little? It does for me.

Yes it does.

correction
I spoke with the AKC yesterday....it does NOT have to be four dogs.
It can be as little as one dog with four titles. The key being four titles.

Without sarcasm.....honestly how does that make you feel about the value of the title now? Does it diminish it's value a to you even a little? It does for me.

It does diminish the value of the program in my eyes as well. Although, I did not feel 4 titled dogs and 5 years of breeding (I think this is what I remember?) was all that stringent in the first place. I think there should be a landmark of where someone is proving themselves to be committed and invested for multiple generations. Is that 10 years and 10 titled dogs? I don't know what the right number/mix should be...I just think that it is much to easy to achieve as it is currently. I remember back when I had 5 years under my belt...I would have technically qualified and I certainly was still a newbie.

Maybe there should be an additional requirement to being a member of an AKC dog club as well.

The local puppy mill and one who does business with a silver breeder are both AKC Breeders of Merit. I think the AKC should make the requirements a bit tougher.

You have to belong to an AKC club. You are also supposed to follow the breeding guidelines of your parent club. The "Breeder of Merit" puppy mill close to me (also included on the LRC Breeder list) does not do the health clearances they are supposed to, despite their signed agreement with the LRC. They claim they are an "ethical" breeder, even though they are one of the most dishonest people out there. Despite having a criminal record, and many lawsuits and complaints, they are in high club positions of power and influence. Go figure. Being ethical and honest doesn't seem to mean what it used to. These are the people who ruin the program for others.

If all you need are 4 titles on one dog, then a CGC/TDI and rally novice(RN) are equal to a BISS champion..... that stinks!

CGC and WC are not titles. They are certificates. I think TDI falls into this as well? Not sure. But either way...I agree...much to easy to fulfill this requirement.

The CGC is not yet an AKC title. it is an award. It will be available as a title in 2013.
TDI now qualifies as an AKC title. ...the THD. One of the most worthwhile titles anyone could achieve.

Only AKC titles count. Not club or private organization issued certificates.

As the lady in the Breeder of Merit department said to me yesterday, this is a new program. They are taking suggestions. Unfortunately she also told me there is no set time to review the program. Perhaps a few letters to the department could help them improve and develop this program?

I think the initial idea of a Breeder of Merit program an excellent one.
I wanted to open this discussion because I think it is too easy to get this title.

Thank you for the others coming forward to talk about this.

MY SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT:

Initially the cow is out of the barn and lots of breeders are easily getting the Breeder of Merit title.
I suggest make the Breeder of Merit title for people who do clearances, compete and contribute to the breed through clubs, 4 titles, same dog etc....

AND IN ADDITION THE AKC COULD

Create a much more difficult title classified above the Breeder of Merit, say "BREEDER OF EXCELLENCE" which requires more years of participation, more titles (more individual dogs), passed inspections (maybe) etc etc...a more stringent criteria designed to spotlight a certain level of standards and accomplishments over 10+ years.

The program needs to be totally overhauled. There is a B.O.M in another breed who is breeding "toys" and "minis" of her chosen breed. Her goal is to breed dogs 4 inches below and nothing taller than 1 inch below the standard. The breed is a solid color breed and she breeds multi colors and non acceptable coat type. From what I could tell from the website nothing that is being bred comes close to meeting standard yet the website proudly displays the "Breeder of Merit" and National club membership logo. I understand the breeder was once well regarded but that appears to have changed. Very sad as those looking at the webpage get the feeling that her dogs are endorsed by the AKC and the National club.

I think you are missing the point of this program. It is in place to generate revenue for AKC by getting breeders to make sure all of their puppies are registered with AKC by the time they go to their new homes. I don't think that is a bad thing at all since I know many of my puppies that were sent home with blue slips never registered their puppies. They needed to make up the lost revenue from the puppy mills that go to other registeries now to avoid kennel inspections. They should make it more meaningful in terms of qualifying for it, but the name of the game is money.

JMO
I think you are missing the point of this program. It is in place to generate revenue for AKC by getting breeders to make sure all of their puppies are registered with AKC by the time they go to their new homes. I don't think that is a bad thing at all since I know many of my puppies that were sent home with blue slips never registered their puppies. They needed to make up the lost revenue from the puppy mills that go to other registeries now to avoid kennel inspections. They should make it more meaningful in terms of qualifying for it, but the name of the game is money.

I agree, it seems like a money maker. Just like the news of the CGC becoming a title?? Seriously? I hope I get retro titles on my dogs then....LOL.

I think the dud breeders will still sink to the bottom, but unfortunately it's another hurdle for novice puppy buyers to deal with as they are going to get suckered in to the "award" and think they don't have to ask the other important questions.

JMO
I think you are missing the point of this program. It is in place to generate revenue for AKC by getting breeders to make sure all of their puppies are registered with AKC by the time they go to their new homes.

Yes, I was sure from the beginning it was about revenues. I have not accepted the year (or more?) worth of "offers" to get a superficial award for something I've been doing on my own for years. Only one couple asked me why I wasn't "certified". LOL... really???? I guess if it makes your heart go pitter patter, it's nice, but I will not personally guarantee 100% registration compliance because I think that is a decision that the puppy buyer should be able to make w/o disclosing their identities. (Btw, my litter/puppy reg rate is probably as high as anyones--- maybe one pup per litter isn't reg'd on average). Anyone else getting the emails prodding them to list all the puppy buyer info on the online database? That's another ploy to get more registrations. Once you provide the email/mailing address info, the AKC will pester those homes for sure. AKC just needs to learn to live within their means and move out of the $$$ real estate in NYC.

I know someone who was contacted by AKC. They told her if she would promise to start registering all of her puppies they would give her the AKC Breeder of Merit title now. She has the title and still doesn't register any puppies except the one she keeps. She figured about only 10% of the puppies she sells ever send the registration in.....how's that for disappointing?

I don't understand the bitching and moaning about registering puppies.
Do you not use the AKC to promote your hobby?? Do you show??
Do you need your dogs registered with AKC to do that?
Do you think AKC is independently wealthy???
Where do you think the money comes from for you to be able to enjoy your hobby??
Do you not realize AKC contribute huge amounts to health research??
Is it really a big deal to register your darn puppies??
If the buyers want to anon, well then maybe they shouldn't buy an AKC puppy?
Sheesh!

Getting Fed Up
JMO
I think you are missing the point of this program. It is in place to generate revenue for AKC by getting breeders to make sure all of their puppies are registered with AKC by the time they go to their new homes.

Yes, I was sure from the beginning it was about revenues. I have not accepted the year (or more?) worth of "offers" to get a superficial award for something I've been doing on my own for years. Only one couple asked me why I wasn't "certified". LOL... really???? I guess if it makes your heart go pitter patter, it's nice, but I will not personally guarantee 100% registration compliance because I think that is a decision that the puppy buyer should be able to make w/o disclosing their identities. (Btw, my litter/puppy reg rate is probably as high as anyones--- maybe one pup per litter isn't reg'd on average). Anyone else getting the emails prodding them to list all the puppy buyer info on the online database? That's another ploy to get more registrations. Once you provide the email/mailing address info, the AKC will pester those homes for sure. AKC just needs to learn to live within their means and move out of the $$$ real estate in NYC.

Breeder of Merit - WELL SAID!!!
I agree 100%

I encourage all of my puppy buyers to register their puppies and everyone who took home puppies from my first litter did so. Several have done "clearances" just because - they are not intact and I do not require it, but the information is nice to have. In the most recent litter, none of the "pet" puppies (3) have been registered. While I would prefer for them to be registered, it is not something I am going to nag puppy buyers to do - I suppose I should have just registered them myself but that is water under the bridge and frankly it is not as important as having them well-cared for. They are all microchipped and those are registered. I keep my own litter records.

My puppy buyers do not come to me to get "AKC registered puppies" (puppy mills, silver breeders, etc. can promise that), they come to me for a well-bred puppy with clearances and a known health background. They come to me because I work my dogs and many are looking for a well-bred hunting companion from proven stock. While I appreciate AKC and what they do, it does not always mean the same thing to pet buyers.

Ditto Breeder of Merit....applause, I couldn't have said it better myself.

So why don't we give the AKC the feedback they need to improve the Breeder of Merit program?

Make lemonade out of those lemons.

Why should anyone complain if someone gets 4 AKC titles of one form or another on one (or more) dog(s) that they have bred, and AKC is rewarding that effort? It really is something we should all strive for! I know many supposedly reputable breeders that are lucky to have even one title and are still selling puppies at high prices. Time and expense go in obtaining any form of AKC title. Event titles are not that easy to obtain, and take much time and training. To enter an event for a weekend for a JH cost at least $120 in entry fees (not including what you put into training equipment, clothing and travel expenses) - and you can still walk away with out even a pass. I might add those events (unlike conformation) are seasonal, and you can not run a female in season, so it can take some time for some to achieve a JH. BTW, yes I am a Breeder of Merit...I did not know I was eligible until AKC contacted me. Three of those titles were on a girl I had recently lost, and I was proud to see the team work we had done together, be recognized. WE worked hard for those titles.

True about things like hunt tests, but what happens next year when CGC becomes a title? Will it count? It requires very little investment to pass. Four CGC titles on four different dogs, I'd think many a puppy mill could handle doing that to raise the prestige and price of the puppies by being a "breeder of merit." Geez, amongst hundreds of puppies turned out by a puppy mill, four might incidentally end up getting a CGC with their new owners anyway, without any investment by the mill breeder at all.

Breeder of Merit
I think the wording is very poor but if you look at the application, there are FOUR spaces for FOUR dogs to be written in.

correction

I think they do that for those that have had many dogs with titles. This way a breeder won't attempt to or think they have to list all, so 4 dogs are the most breeders can list.

Your reply to the OP was mean, uncalled for and it shows your character. I'm not impressed with it #spelling police.

I have... Didn't get a response. Not terribly surprised because they know what THEY want in the deal. More $ thru regs.

correction
So why don't we give the AKC the feedback they need to improve the Breeder of Merit program?

Make lemonade out of those lemons.

I think the AKC Breeder of Merit program is a good idea but needs some further development. I would think that if enough letters are written with suggestions the AKC would eventually take notice. To survive as a viable organization, they realized (somewhat slowly) that they had to adapt to changes in the dog world, and we have seen that since the mid-1980s with the introduction of the hunting tests, then into the 1990s and beyond with agility, rally, the CGC program, sheep herding, lure coursing, terrier/earth dog events etc...

Every new idea goes back to the table for improvements. This could be a good program with adjustments and closer monitoring. What's wrong with AKC trying to pay the bills? There are many more registries available to breeders now than 50 years ago and I would hate to see the AKC "out of business." UKC just doesn't "do it" for me.

I think the UKC is a class act compared to the AKC.

Time for change

Perhaps, except when comparing the criteria necessary in earning a championship title.

Well then, show there! Lol!
Those of us that want to earn titles on our dogs that require some real quality and hard work will stick with AKC

Time for change

True! What is really riduculous is those advertising on their websites how their puppies have champion parents because the sire of the litter they are selling, finished his UKC championship in one weekend. As anyone who has shown in UKC knows, it only takes one weekend to finish a UKC championship. In some way this can be comparative to the breeder of merit program. It doesn't take a ton of accomplishments to be a breeder of merit. Some breeders don't do anything with their dogs other than breeding and stumbled onto a few who they sold puppies to who got either obedience titles on their dogs or one other acceptable title and the breeder is qualified as a breeder of merit. Meanwhile I am out in the trenches and doing things to prove my dogs which, btw I love doing things with my dogs, and getting titles on them. And those breeders are still able to charge the same price for their puppies or even higher than mine when they are not really obtaining any significant titles imo and are using things like UKC titles and breeder of merit status for false advertising to sell and jack up the price of their puppies.

I don't understand why some breeders use AKC. They are obviously not happy with the way AKC does business or manages the whole organization. Keeping records for over a century, Fund important health research, Public education, and all those "little things" are not worth anything. Go and use the other registration clubs: UKC, Continental KC, IABCA, etc.; Sure they do it all for the love of it.

The AKC is not perfect, but it is a darn good one. Breeder of merit is an award. Not really hard to achieve but many can breed for years and not even get a CGC on any puppy.

Some people are happy to be unhappy

The criteria necessary for an AKC CH. is who you know.

Time for change

Maybe this happens for the occasional win, but in real life for the the entire requirement for earning an AKC Ch, this is an absurd statement. There are politics in every aspect of competition, but like cream, a good dog will always rise to the top.

Time for change

This statement is usually said by those who don't have a good enough dog to win in the AKC. Then they go over to the UKC where it is easy to win and you can show your dog without a pro handler. I for one know for a fact if you have a nice dog and are not a pro handler you can finish your dog in AKC. I have done it. I am not a pro handler and I don't know the judges.

When a dog is judged by the breed standard, not by the handler, not the breeder, not the dog who has been campaigned all over the place, not the exhibitor who knows the judge... it's not only a more accurate way of assessing the dogs attributes, it's fair. The AKC is a mess, but keep kidding yourself. Actually, what it is, is a joke.

I repeat what I said earlier. When you make such absurd blanket statements, they just reveal sour grapes.

Yes and UKC is such an upstanding entity! LMAO!!
You can "finish" your mutt in one weekend, there are barely any entries, a "BIS" or "BISS" is EASY to get (I see some websites touting every dog in their "kennel" as a UKC BISS or BIS, even 4 month old puppies!!.
Then these UKC breeders put all kind of weird letters representing their UKC accomplishments (if you could even call it that) all over their websites in front of and behind the names of their AKC registered dogs and pet buyers are none the wiser!! Makes them look REAL successful! If they only knew! HA!
UKC is the biggest joke going!

Time for change
When a dog is judged by the breed standard, not by the handler, not the breeder, not the dog who has been campaigned all over the place, not the exhibitor who knows the judge... it's not only a more accurate way of assessing the dogs attributes, it's fair. The AKC is a mess, but keep kidding yourself. Actually, what it is, is a joke.

Time for change

Obviously you don't have very much experience showing in the AKC shows. Yes, these things you mention can be done, but it doesn't mean that dog who is campaigned is always going to win. These are just avenues that breeders and exhibitors use to try to get an edge it helps sometimes but there is no guarantee. Face it if you have a good labrador who meets the breed standard then your dog is going to win and finish. If you have a pet labrador that a breeder sold you and said it was show then you go to the UKC shows.

LMAO!! EXACTLY!!
Put all the UKC letters and abbreviations you want on it. It's still a joke!
Everyone that sees it immediately thinks, "awww, isn't that cute, they are trying to make it look impressive. Guess it couldn't win in AKC".

another breeder
Time for change

Obviously you don't have very much experience showing in the AKC shows. Yes, these things you mention can be done, but it doesn't mean that dog who is campaigned is always going to win. These are just avenues that breeders and exhibitors use to try to get an edge it helps sometimes but there is no guarantee. Face it if you have a good labrador who meets the breed standard then your dog is going to win and finish. If you have a pet labrador that a breeder sold you and said it was show then you go to the UKC shows.

Merit - something that deserves or justifies a reward or commendation; a commendable quality, act, etc.: The book's only merit is its sincerity.

I don't see a problem with a breeder of merit accredidation, and why should you?

There are a TON of breeders out there who have bred for a decade and don't have one SINGLE title on any of their dogs.

AKC
LMAO!! EXACTLY!!
Everyone that sees it immediately thinks, "awww, isn't that cute, they are trying to make it look impressive. Guess it couldn't win in AKC".

another breeder
Time for change

Been at it a while, since 1994, and know full well what I'm talking about. Oh, I left out one thing. Most of the people like yourself are not present, which makes it even more enjoyable and hopefully, you will stay right where you're at, with the AKC venues.

This is getting off topic to an extent, but I have to say while I think it is great when a win is owner-handled, I really don't think it means anything special about the dog itself. I have seen plenty of mediocre dogs owner handled to AKC wins and titles - just because the dog is handled by its owner does not make it a quality dog. I also don't believe that every dog sent out with a handler is capable of finishing - I know of one that has been professionally handled for years and cannot win in major competition. The handler has been honest with the owner, who still believes this dog can finish. Most handlers do not want to be seen with mediocre dogs.

People are far too caught up in titles and ego rather than using the process as an evaluation of the dog itself. Personally, I learn more about the quality of my dog when I can see how it compares in strong competition or in upper level performance events.

Howdoufeel?
Wow I think Almost anyone could be a breeder of Merritt.

Breed any one dog and put four titles on it and you qualify ( in terms of titles)

There you go, you literally only have to breed one litter and put any four titles on one to four dogs from that litter and you qualify (in terms of titles required)

I personally have bred way more champions and thought when I applied for this breeder of Merritt program it would be a true acknowledgement of my hard work but it's not because it isn't that hard to get the title at all.

This particular person is participating in the AKC Breeder of Merit!
What hogwash!

http://silverdollarlabs.com/index.htm

Time for change
AKC
LMAO!! EXACTLY!!

another breeder
Time for change

Been at it a while, since 1994, and know full well what I'm talking about. Oh, I left out one thing. Most of the people like yourself are not present, which makes it even more enjoyable and hopefully, you will stay right where you're at, with the AKC venues.

Talk about unpleasant "Time for change". It makes sense now who would want to show with you anyway you are sour grapes. You can be assured I plan to stay right where I am in AKC. I mean afterall who wants to spend money for nothing? That is what you get when you show in the UKC.

AKC exhibitor
Time for change
AKC
LMAO!! EXACTLY!!

another breeder
Time for change

Talk about unpleasant "Time for change". It makes sense now who would want to show with you anyway you are sour grapes. You can be assured I plan to stay right where I am in AKC. I mean afterall who wants to spend money for nothing? That is what you get when you show in the UKC.

No sour grapes here. Who wants to spend money for nothing??? At least a written critique is given at UKC shows by an accredited judge. Dogs winning, or not winning, at AKC shows have no idea how your dog stacked up against the rest. There's one winner, so you know the judge liked that one dog (or the handler, or the breeder), that's all you know. It's a waste of time and money. An AKC CH. means you can advertise your dogs as AKC CH. and ask more money for your puppies, but tells nothing about quality. The AKC will register practically anything, just send them a check.

First off, UKC will register anything as well. Just send them a check. And, whats more, they will register litters of puppies born to parents on AKC ltd registration. Now whose out for a buck?

Second, written critiques mean squat if they are not written by someone with an education opinion. From what I've seen of UKC and the dogs that are UKC champions, those opinions are, well, not very good ones.

You will never win this battle. AKC is the gold standard just as CKC is for Canada.
You are never going to change that, or make your UKC titles as valid as an AKC title.
Good luck trying.
I'm sorry if you can't win at AKC events against the cream of the crop. But stomping away pouting and going and getting a title with an inferior registry doesn't make your dog equal.

It's like buying a bag at Coach and me going to Walmart and purchasing a bag. Mine holds my stuff, I can carry it on my shoulder and it may be the same size, but it will still never be a Coach bag. :)

Time for change
AKC exhibitor
Time for change
AKC

No sour grapes here. Who wants to spend money for nothing??? At least a written critique is given at UKC shows by an accredited judge. Dogs winning, or not winning, at AKC shows have no idea how your dog stacked up against the rest. There's one winner, so you know the judge liked that one dog (or the handler, or the breeder), that's all you know. It's a waste of time and money. An AKC CH. means you can advertise your dogs as AKC CH. and ask more money for your puppies, but tells nothing about quality. The AKC will register practically anything, just send them a check.

Be it AKC, UKC, or IABCA, a show is as good as its judges. There is nothing wrong with any of them, they are just different leagues for different breeder levels.
If you want to get some ribbons and an easy Champion title go to an International (IABCA) or UKC show. Also, UKC is still the registering club for many breeds that are not AKC recognized yet.
If you want to play with the big boys, go to AKC shows.
If you have a puppy and want to get him used to the show ring, better go to AKC shows. Entries are much cheaper than IABCA and about the same as UKC and you will meet many experienced people.

I've shown UKC so I know a little about what I'm talking about. It is not even close to the AKC. One of the big things I have grown to love about AKC is it actually pushes you to breed better dogs if you want to win the big shows. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be the best you can. As someone who has been showing in AKC for nearly 30 years, it is the best way by far to measure the quality of your dogs. I am an owner-handler. I have won EVERY award available at specialties, including Potomac and Nationals, that you can win. I do it because 1) I'm a good handler. I pushed myself to handle the best I can and present my dogs to their best advantage and 2) I show good dogs. I breed good dogs. Having a good dog is, believe it or not, the big key here. I do not brown nose. I do not pay favors. I show my dogs honestly and to their best. I win. End of story. Anyone can do it. Sadly most would rather bitch and complain about why they don't win.

UKC is a joke in that it truly is not a measure of quality. I've finished UKC Champions and I've lost to field style dogs. Some judges, as in any venue, are clueless. The criteria for a UKC Champion is much easier than that of an AKC Champion. I'd rather take on the challenge of gaining the AKC Champion any day.

One thing I don't like about the UKC is that it is run by one person and they *own* the standards for the breeds. That means that they can monkey with the standards as they see fit. One of the big things at the moment is following suit with the Animal Rights groups in the UK and changing the standards to make certain breeds less "exaggerated". This should not be up to one person but to the breed experts to determine what is best for their breed.

Here's what I also like about the AKC. For those of you who think the AKC is all about the money, here's a newsflash for ya! The AKC donates *millions* of dollars to fund canine research. Yup, you guessed it, those DNA tests that we all have come to rely on, you know Optigen, EIC and other, well those were helped funded in part by the AKC. I'll go on and say that the AKC also pays into their legal fund to help fight for *YOUR* rights to breed and show dogs. They are taking a lot of heat right now for support *OUR* rights as small breeders against the USDA/APHIS proposed rules at the moment.

I know how I am, what I do and love it. Sure there are good and bad where ever you go, but for the most part, I do the best I can and am quite successful. I am really a nobody and only breed/show on a limited basis. I love the AKC venue and support all that they do. And that's just me.

I don't show at any, which is why I have to laugh at the jerks calling it sour grapes. I have, in almost 20 years shown at all of them. If you want a fun day with your dog go to UKC & IABCA shows. If you want to spend a small fortune finishing your dog, pay for AKC events, but don't imply the cream of the crop has an AKC CH. in front of the name because that is not the case. Many a dog without a title should have one and many a dog with should not. Thanks to the AKC. Time for change.

Time for change
I don't show at any, which is why I have to laugh at the jerks calling it sour grapes. I have, in almost 20 years shown at all of them. If you want a fun day with your dog go to UKC & IABCA shows. If you want to spend a small fortune finishing your dog, pay for AKC events, but don't imply the cream of the crop has an AKC CH. in front of the name because that is not the case. Many a dog without a title should have one and many a dog with should not. Thanks to the AKC. Time for change.

IABCA is a complete waste of money and time. I did not find it fun at all. If one can become a "champion" by merely showing up and paying a fee, the title is meaningless. By definition a champion is:

1. One that wins first place or first prize in a competition.
2. One that is clearly superior or has the attributes of a winner

At IABCA shows the dog does not have to win or even place to be handed a title. Dogs that are competitive do not typically show at IABCA shows because they are capable of achieving a title that actually means what it is - CHAMPION. Their breeders want to evaluate their dogs in strong competition and not against nice pets. So the dogs that do win at IABCA shows are usually the big fish in a mediocre pond. The dog may be nice or it may not be - who knows because there is often nothing outstanding there to compare it to. I know everyone loves their dogs and they are all special, but that does not entitle them to a "championship". The IABCA title is the equivalent of a Conformation Certificate, which is much cheaper to obtain and usually has the opinion of at least one breeder judge. I find the critiques to be much more meaningful. It also is what it says it is - a certificate stating that the dog meets minimum requirements under the breed standard.

I think any type of show is good for dogs and humans to get experience, but calling a dog a champion that has not "won" anything in good (or any) competition means nothing. If I were trying to improve a breeding program, I would want my dog to excel (whether it be conformation or performance), not meet minimum requirements.

Jerks? Really? I must say I'm glad I don't have to run into you at AKC shows. For the most part AKC is the Gold Standard. Time for a change? How so? You are just sour grapes and I guess that makes me a jerk. Bwahahaha.

Time for change

Time for change

You keep thinking that. Stay home and just stay away from AKC shows.

Champion
Time for change

IABCA is a complete waste of money and time. I did not find it fun at all. If one can become a "champion" by merely showing up and paying a fee, the title is meaningless. By definition a champion is:

1. One that wins first place or first prize in a competition.
2. One that is clearly superior or has the attributes of a winner

At IABCA shows the dog does not have to win or even place to be handed a title. Dogs that are competitive do not typically show at IABCA shows because they are capable of achieving a title that actually means what it is - CHAMPION. Their breeders want to evaluate their dogs in strong competition and not against nice pets. So the dogs that do win at IABCA shows are usually the big fish in a mediocre pond. The dog may be nice or it may not be - who knows because there is often nothing outstanding there to compare it to. I know everyone loves their dogs and they are all special, but that does not entitle them to a "championship". The IABCA title is the equivalent of a Conformation Certificate, which is much cheaper to obtain and usually has the opinion of at least one breeder judge. I find the critiques to be much more meaningful. It also is what it says it is - a certificate stating that the dog meets minimum requirements under the breed standard.

I think any type of show is good for dogs and humans to get experience, but calling a dog a champion that has not "won" anything in good (or any) competition means nothing. If I were trying to improve a breeding program, I would want my dog to excel (whether it be conformation or performance), not meet minimum requirements.

If all IABCA and UKC winner dogs were that competitive, they would be at the AKC shows competing in higher grounds. I've seen many AKC champions also have UKC and International titles. If your dog is of quality you can compete at all levels.