Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pregnancy 13weeks post whelp???

Is it possible for a dog to become pregnant 13weeks post whelp? I’m fostering a rescue dog that had puppies 13 weeks ago and took her in for her spay yesterday. When I went to pick her up the Dr. asked me if there was any way she could be pregnant and I said no. He said well she was. I was like how is that possible he looked at me and said she was new pregnant that there was some small bumps in her tubes/horns. I guess he never opened it up to look inside. My girls have always cycled every 6-9months. I know some may go sooner, but 13 weeks post? Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it possible?

Re: Pregnancy 13weeks post whelp???

Well, that would have been 5-6 months between heat cycles (13 week old puppies + 9 weeks gestation = 22 weeks = 5+ months). Not common, but can and obviously did happen with this girl. Glad she got spayed before having another unwanted litter and hope she can have a wonderful life now!

Re: Pregnancy 13weeks post whelp???

That would be 22 weeks from her last season. You count 9 weeks for the pregnancy and 13 weeks after the pregnancy for a total of 22 weeks. That comes to between 5-6 months, which is what you are saying is how long she goes between season. So it is possible.