Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
infection under the skin (cheek area) help?

A couple months ago, my girl had a couple cyst removed, and they came back benine. She also had a patch of fur missing from her face, and they gave me cephalexian, and did seem to think it was much.

Now, It is about the size of a quarter, there is no hair, and when i was cleaning it pus came out, and the next day blood came out and squirted me in the eye. The area is kind hard like a caulis.

Friday, I put her back on cephalexian, and started washing the area with medicated shampoo.

today, I took her to the vet today, and he said he thinks she has an infection under the skin, and that I need to finish antibodics, and may need to have a drain put in surgically to drain the area.

He said he did not think she had a staff infection, which is what i suspected.

I do not want to do the drain thing on her face.

Please help?

Re: infection under the skin (cheek area) help?

Could it be cellulitis? If so, you are looking at a long course of antibiotics.

I would do what the vet wants me to with this case. If they suggest a drain, I would do it. Sounds like an abcessed area, and you need to get it to clean out.

thanks for the info.

they put a needle in it yesterday, and apparently, that its draining on its own today. it appears to be getting better slowly

i am keeping her on the antibodics, medicated shampoo, and topical antibodic they gave me, and i ordered some viatmins from nuvet, and hopefully this will do the trick. i hat to have her pretty face cut on.

Try hot/moist compresses to help draw the infection out. I have had a couple of dogs that have gotten abcesses from running in the field and getting a seed awn imbedded in their skin.

Have your vet do a culture on the blood/pus that oozes out- only then will you know what it is sensitive to and how to treat.