Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Food math - Please help

OK, so I have a litter of pups and I'm looking at the food below for them.

30% protein : 20% fat
Phos: 1.08%, Calcium: 1.79% 2000 kcal/lb

So is it ONLY the ratio that is important for calcium & phosphorus or is it the % too? This seems high to me , especially at 2000 kcal/lb.

This is the puppy version of a great food that my adults THRIVE on, and the retailer and a friend of mine like it for their pups. I'm uneasy.

The food I've fed in the past is
28% protein : 13% fat
Phos: 0.8%, Calcium: 1.1% 1703 kcal/lb

Mathletes and nutrition experts. Please break these down for me. What is the real difference? These are % of calcium/phosphorus, so the ratios are almost the same...right? Or wrong? Since the first food has 300 extra calories per serving, how does that effect the percentages of calcium/phosphorus?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm more of a poetry spouting creative, abstract, vivid colors thinker than a black and white logical reasoning, math and science type. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Re: Puppy Food math - Please help

whatever food it is that you are looking at - is close to Pro Plan Performance. The calcium in Pro Plan Perf. is .9 % - which is good for pups and the phos. ratio is correct. Sorry I didn't answer your question, but why not share the food with us as well?

Re: Puppy Food math - Please help

This is probably no help, but I choose to wean onto Pro Plan Puppy. Why? Because I know that so many lab folks have gotten good results, and I have gotten good results, and I am no math person. I would rather have you pull my finger nails out than to sit there figuring out calcium/phosphorus ratios vs. protein/fat OMG...just reading your post made my head swim.

It's probably a cop out for those who love to figure that stuff out, but I figure I would just go by what other successful folks have done and feed what they have fed. I've not been disappointed yet. Certainly not scientific, but oh well!