Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
help fatty tumor near vulva area

i took my 11 1/2 year old girl to the vet, and she has a fatty tumor in the vulva area. i do not know how to describe, but it looks very puffy.

the vet wants to do surgery in a couple weeks, and take it out. he may also spay her.

I have not had her spayed because a few years ago she will sick with kindney problems, and the cbc show that kidneys were not in the normal range.

they are going to do pre-surgical blood work before they proceed with surgery.

its not a prolapse, but very puffy & looks swollen.

I am concerned about potential problems that may possibly occur after she has surgery.

does any have any experience with such a thing?

will presurgical blood work reveal that its ok to proceed

Re: help fatty tumor near vulva area

Is it really necessary (causing her discomfort, unable to urinate, life threatening)? Any surgery is risky and more so over the age of 10 years. With her past history I would really be concerned about putting under anesthesia. Could she be coming into season? At 11.5 she still can if she has not been spayed. Blood work can tell you a lot...ALT,CRE,CBC,BUN,etc... to see liver kidney levels - but it can not tell you the condition of her heart (and lungs) and if they can withstand surgery (maybe do a Doppler?). Please make sure to talk everything over with your Vet with concerns and the high risks. Seek a second opinion, if need be. If taking in consideration of age in human years most would say she is about 75 years old...being expected life range for a Labrador is 10-12 years, I'd say she is in her very senior years. I hope I am not coming across as judgmental, for that is not how I intend....my concerns are for you and your much loved girl. Good luck with what ever you decide, and please re-post on how she is doing. I lost my 12 year old girl a year ago, and those old gals have a special place in my heart.

thanks for the info. the area was slighly swollen for about 2 months, now its more swollen.

the vet said it appears to be a fatty tumor, not attached to anything except the wall area.

She could be in heat, as there was a slight discharge at the vets office. I did not see any blood, and actually thought that she was too old to come in heat.

I have been thinking, and if we proceed, i will just have them take out the tumor, and skip the spay, so that she is not under anastetic so long. (pending pre surgical blood work)

I am concerned about her age, and past history.

I am putting her on nuvet viatmins today, I was told that the viatmins may shrink fatty tumors.

I have an old girl with some fatty tumors, they are not pretty, but they don't hurt her, so I leave them.
another of my old girls ( going on 12 yrs ) had a tumor in a breast, so we did have the vet remove it, after labwork, chest xray, etc. to be sure she could withstand the surgery. my vet asked if I wanted it biopsied, we discussed it, and I decided not to. treatment was removal of tumor ( done ), and if cancerous, chemo., which I decided I would not subject her to, as she would hate the treatments, she has anxiety just going in the car, and trips to the vet are torture for her ( she pants, teeth chatter, hides under the chair, etc. )she had an ACL repair as a youngster, and has feared the vet office every since.
so, we just cherish her, and spend every day enjoying her and hope she has a few more years with us.

My now deceased Yoyo had a fatty tumor there as well. She was about 12 when I noticed it. I knew I had to do something when she wasn't joining the others when they were doing zoomies. She was having an obvious problem laying down and even more uncomfortable sitting. I had it removed immediately. Days after removal she was like a youngin again. I couldn't watch my girl in such discomfort.