Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
second dog

Had a call from a couple who has a 5 year old female-they are looking to add a second dog (they had 2 labs, 15 yr. old just passed). they are looking for a smaller breed and asked for opinions on which breed may best hold up with the lab and, if anyone thought any of the smaller breeds had "lab like personalities".
Any input?
thank you-my exp. has only been with labs

PS they mentioned that someone told them they are now breeding 20-30lb labradoodles-told them stay away!

Re: second dog

Corgi?

Beyond a doubt... Border Terrier!!!

Cavalier or French Bulldog.

!!!

That was my first thought until I read "lab like personalities".

I have had Borders for over 20 years and never had one with a Lab like personality. They do have plenty of personality though. The Borders have always ruled the roost here and there is a reason I call them Border Terrorists.

The closest to a "Lab-like personality" might be the Cavalier, from a line that will retrieve instinctively. It is a sporting toy dog, unlike the other breeds mentioned so far in this thread. They tend to get along well with everyone, if one doesn't let the young or ancient Labs hurt them by running them over. They do require a bit more coat care, like a small Flat Coat, but some trim them, at least giving them clean feet like a Springer or Golden.

Of course, there are smaller Labradors, too. Sometimes too small to show, and folks place the Springer size ones as pets or agility dogs, able to go through tunnels more easily than taller ones.

We have a papillon in our 4-H club. She is under a year but trains so quickly and has a fabulous personality. She plays with my Labrador pups when she has an opportunity. Her personality reminds me much of our Labs, not sure she's typical for her breed, but I personally would choose one like her if I went small breed. Family says she's not yippy like some small dogs.

border owner
!!!

That was my first thought until I read "lab like personalities".

I have had Borders for over 20 years and never had one with a Lab like personality. They do have plenty of personality though. The Borders have always ruled the roost here and there is a reason I call them Border Terrorists.

Clearly you've never met the infamous Fred (the Border Terrier) who acts like a Labrador - swims, retrieves and plays with every dog he sees. Look him up!

ps - just call him Ch. Fred now!

I'd like to suggest they consider an older lab. Sometimes breeders have retired dogs that make great pets and good companions for older dogs.

I agree with a Cavalier, they are sweet and get along with everyone.