Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ethics

Is it ethical to show a dog to the breeder/owner of the sire???

Re: Ethics

Yes. Some of the well known stud dogs are heavily used and some of the puppies are nice, some are not. In addition, stud dog owners seldom see the bitches their dogs are bred to because of chilled and frozen semen being so readily available. Finally, it's not good press for judges to choose a poor example of their stud dog so why bother.

If you haven't met the judge face to face before, if you show to the owner of the sire, introduce yourself LATER! Not before the show.

And please don't tell them "this is a [their sire's name] baby" until after the judging is all over - not just for your dog.

Well, yes, but if you get dumped it looks bad and if you win it looks bad, so why bother?

JMO. If you feel like you don't feel comfortable doing so, don't. If you have to question the ethics of it, you don't feel comfortable. If you are questioning someone else's ethics, don't...that's a slippery slope.

Best,

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest

If it's a heavily used stud dog, no big deal. If you're the only one to use the dog, then maybe.

I don't have a problem showing a dog that is sired by the judge's dog or the judges breeding. Why? Because there is so much more than just the sire. People like to blame the stud for the problems that occur or they also like to say your win is because of the stud dog is owned or bred by the judge. Well, I'm sorry, as a long time breeder, the stud dog is only part of the equation. He only contributes half of his genes, no matter how strong you may think they are. My bitch line contributes just the same. I'd like to think that the stud dog is there to contribute and bring attributes to the puppies that I want but are there to compliment what *I* already have. That is my choice. Same as the choice is *mine* as to which puppies I decide to keep from that litter. If you keep the best they should turn out to be the best. If you don't, then you will not go far no matter who the judge is. Then, there is raising the puppy(s). Those breeders who know the proper food that works for them, the proper weight for their puppies and the proper conditioning also contributes to quality of those puppies. Yes, the stud dog has something to do with it, but there are so many other factors that contribute to the quality of what you are showing the judge. I know of no judge that will put up junk just because they know it's out of their dog. I've seen more judges not place dogs out of their studs than place. Most judges are fair and put up what they like no matter what.

It seems by your question OP, you are just sour grapes and are just looking for a reason to discount someone's well deserved wins. JMO.

Wow how negative. Whe I read the OP's post, my first thought was if maybe she was trying to decide about showing one of her dogs.

More to it

It seems by your question OP, you are just sour grapes and are just looking for a reason to discount someone's well deserved wins. JMO.

Huh
Wow how negative. Whe I read the OP's post, my first thought was if maybe she was trying to decide about showing one of her dogs.

Perhaps if the OP had worded their question differently instead of emphasizing it with "???". I highly doubt someone asking an innocent question about whether they should show a dog sired by the judge's dog would not have made such a loaded question, call out someone's ethics and feel the need to add three question marks. This was purely someone who wanted slam someone else (which happens on here all the time) by questioning their ethics. It seems like sour grapes. The answers they got should be enough to hopefully make them realize it is not against any rules, nor is it considered unethical. I find it sad that in all the information provided above, this is the only sentence you decided to respond to. You are the one who is truly negative.

Huh

More to it

That's what I thought too...that she was trying to decide if it was OK to enter...

me
Huh

More to it

That's what I thought too...that she was trying to decide if it was OK to enter...

How some people read things differently. I read it as a possible slam too. Maybe just used to the fights on here and the constant put down of others because of jealousy. Kind of how the Jersey Skyline LRC thread went south.

I think if someone had a valid question, it would have been worded differently instead of just thrown out there with the extra punctuation marks.