Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
lethargic

I sold a pup to a nice family and had the occasion to keep this female over night. I was sure this, now adult female, had a very low thyroid or something else wrong with her. I have seen slow, lazy, lethargic, but she takes the cake. Will not chase a ball more than once and would rather lay down than sit or stand. Likes to watch the other dogs play but not very excited over anything. No SHE ISN'T OVERWEIGHT. She is very normal in all other ways but puts a new meaning to laid back!She is happy to greet the kids when they arrive home from school.
She went home from here and had several blood tests and all blood results comes back normal even for Addisons (they suggested that test) Heart sounds fine and no problem with joints or hips etc. Yes they did do x-rays etc.
QUESTION. has anyone ever had a dog so laid back. The family thought all dogs are this laid back.;o)

Re: lethargic

Any chance of EIC? Some dogs who are affected will keep themselves from getting over-excited after an incident.

clear for EIC.

Maybe have her eyes checked? Has she possibly hurt her neck? I would take her to a doggy chiropractor, or acupuncturist and see what they come up with. She's withdrawing from play for some reason. How old is she?

no she isn't withdrawn. Nor is she sore in any place. She is in perfect health and that's what is puzzeling. She has always been a very laid back dog and she is now 3 years old. I just think a Labrador should be more active. She is the only dog and lives with two very well behaved children about the age of 8 to 10 I believe. They hired a trainner and he said she has a very old soul. Just concerned that she is sooo laid back. I want to know if anyone on this forum had a dog like this. I know that we have dogs from one end of the scale to the other. One that chews the house up and jumps on people and some that are born perfect. Just want to know we are not alone in this. They take her for walks but they are not a very active family.

I have one. She is beautiful! She falls over in ecstacy when you pet her and always finds something to greet anyone with. Her whole rear end wags with joy at us or anyone new.
She has been tested for everything, heart, eyes, pra/prcd, eic, thyriod, total blood panel and is healthy as a horse.
One day she was laying by me while I was working and a Dove flew by. She jumped out and caught it, I was in total shock she could even move that fast.
Some are just very gentle, quiet and really laid back. Her mother was the same way.

Sounds like the purrfect dawg!

And this is a problem how or is it just different from what you're used to?

Our 9 yr old male is like this and has been since he was a pup. So laid back that we joke about having to check his breathing at times....but when he was younger he could jump straight up 4 feet to catch a bug. He loves to be with his furry brothers and hang out with his people wherever they are but he's not an in your face dog. I'd clone him in a minute given the chance - everyone LOVES his disposition.

I just had another thought. She's laid back, but could it be that she was overwhelmed at your house? Assuming that you have several labs, perhaps she found it a tad intimidating. Maybe she's just not interested in playing ball, or maybe she prefers frisbee or a "special" ball.

Remembering back to times I have taken my labs to places with multiple dogs, I always thought they were such socialites, but was amazed that they sometimes sat by themselves off in a corner somewhere - probably overwhelmed because they were in a new place with strange dogs.

I still think that she sounds like a GREAT dog!

One of my puppies, just about 12 years ago, went to my parents'. They were in their early 70s. What a difference between the 2 pups I kept and their boy!! I did use to joke that "Monty" was old way before his time. My two are still bouncing around at nearly 12. Monty was very laid back and wasn't that interested in retrieving, but he did like swimming and other dogs. I guess that's what you've got there with this dog if you have ruled out everything else. I think that's sweet.

I had one that laid back. He never did any of the crazy stuff puppies have to be trained not to do. He never pulled on the leash in a hurry to get anywhere, never tried to jump up or dance around people, would not chase a ball, and went flat on the floor whenever he thought things might take a while. I raised him for Guide Dogs, he was not happy there and washed out, but he did pass his pet partners therapy dog evaluation easily. He did play with my other dog, not constantly though, and I don't think he would have played with dogs he didn't live with.

Maybe she wasn't sure she was allowed to join in with the other dogs playing, or was worried they would be rough. If she is an only dog that could be it. Three years is more than enough time for a dog to forget how to roughhouse with other dogs.

I would get this dog's heart checked. It sounds like it could be TVD.