Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
eic question

I had my boy tested for eic and his results came back that he is a carrier. I am a newbie and I don't know how is the best way to breed him. If I breed a carrier to carrier would all of the puppies be carriers, or would some be carriers and some be affected?

Re: eic question

He can produce affected, carriers, and clears when bred to a carrier bitch. If you don't know the EIC status of the bitch, you shouldn't breed them together.

Since you have done the test and know that your boy is a carrier, it would be best to breed only to bitches that have tested clear for EIC. In doing so, by statistics, each pup would have a 50% chance to be a carrier and a 50% chance of being clear. If our test is accurate (and some would dispute that point) no pup should be affected. If you breed carrier to carrier, each pup would have a 25% chance of being affected, 25% chance of being clear, and a 50% chance of being a carrier. Carrier to affected would give a 50% chance of being either affected or carrier, with no chance of a clear. The goal in testing is to avoid producing an affected pup. Now that you know your boy's status, use that knowledge wisely!

Don't breed a carrier to carrier. Only breed him to clear. That way no pups affected. If he is a nice stud, the female owners will be glad to test to breed to him. But using it as a tool to breed is wonderful.

Thank you for your help.

IF you believe in the test.
My my, what did we do before this EIC test!!
Dogs must have been dropping like flies!

Breeder for years
Don't breed a carrier to carrier. Only breed him to clear. That way no pups affected. If he is a nice stud, the female owners will be glad to test to breed to him. But using it as a tool to breed is wonderful.

Some did drop! The purpose of the test is to make sure no more have to do so.

Breeder
IF you believe in the test.
My my, what did we do before this EIC test!!
Dogs must have been dropping like flies!

Breeder for years

LOL...I agree!!!