Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Litter size with just one breeding??

I know it's been said on here that one breeding will be enough if the timing is right but now I wish I had bred my girl twice. Bred her just once 2 days after 5.0. Anyone remember having a nice size litter with a similar breeding time?

Re: Litter size with just one breeding??

Did 2 breedings 3 days after 5.0 and got 12 each time.

did one breeding a few days past 5ng, got 10 puppies. Semen was shipped in the middle of winter from east coast to west coast. We did order 2 shipments but one shipment got hung up over in Tennessee so it showed up at the same time the 2nd shipment arrived. Still only bred our girl one time as the first shipment was not viable.

Singletons 2 times!

breeder
I know it's been said on here that one breeding will be enough if the timing is right but now I wish I had bred my girl twice. Bred her just once 2 days after 5.0. Anyone remember having a nice size litter with a similar breeding time?
Yes, several times as long as she reached a 5 or over. 4.9 doesn't count for me.

I've had larger litters with 1 breeding then with 2 breedings. That said, I don't think its 1 or 2 breeding. No. 2 covers you incase your bitch stalls or the semen isn't the best. It's all in the timing and how many eggs ea. bitch ovulates.

If done right with viable sperm, 1 is fine. The 2nd is insurance.

Insurance
breeder
Yes, several times as long as she reached a 5 or over. 4.9 doesn't count for me.

I've had larger litters with 1 breeding then with 2 breedings. That said, I don't think its 1 or 2 breeding. No. 2 covers you incase your bitch stalls or the semen isn't the best. It's all in the timing and how many eggs ea. bitch ovulates.

Well said "Insurance" that is exactly how it works, we forget that the amount of eggs the bitch produces will depend on the amount of puppies.

Breeder
Insurance
breeder

Well said "Insurance" that is exactly how it works, we forget that the amount of eggs the bitch produces will depend on the amount of puppies.
Thank you. I'm glad you agree with me because some breeders don't. Too many stop testing at the high 4s. They need to spend the extra $100 or whatever they pay, it's worth it even to know their girl doubled from 4.9 to 10. I'm relieved to see that.

Others can't admit that some girls don't produce alot of eggs until she's 5 and they're going to have their 4th or 5th litter. If the bitch produces only a few pups, might her female pups follow Mum?

OP, you sound as if you did everything right. Now relax and watch for a belly.