Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Small Litters

Just wondering if any one else has been experiencing small litters when using Mini Tube?
I always have used Clone with tremendous results but I don't seem to get that with Mini Tube.
The semen has looked good upon arrival but something has gone sideways.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Small Litters

Yes. We have stopped using Minitube products because of this issue.

Breeder
Just wondering if any one else has been experiencing small litters when using Mini Tube?
I always have used Clone with tremendous results but I don't seem to get that with Mini Tube.

exhibitor
Yes. We have stopped using Minitube products because of this issue.

Breeder

I am sorry you had the same problem but I will no longer use their products either.
One and two pups is what I get.
Thank you for sharing!

I haven't personally had problems with Mini Tube but have heard about many others with small litters or misses that I finally made a decision. ~If~ the stud dog I'm using is within 7-8 hours driving distance maximum, I travel and do a side by side AI with fresh semen. Let me make it clear, I do not choose a stud dog because he's within driving distance. If he happens to be, I drive to him.

Heck, we drive up to & longer for some shows. The Potomac takes me 9 hours & other shows I attend are close to that. So why not drive for a fresh semen AI if it's workable for the bitch owner's schedule & distance? I'm aware many work outside of the home. I'm lucky I only work 3 half-days & can easily change my hours.

So, if the stud dog is within a reasonable distance I will drive it. I book a cheap, clean, dog friendly hotel room nearby unless I'm friends with the stud dogs owner. Then I stay there with an additional savings. If in a hotel, I check out & return for a 2-nd breeding the following day. I then drive home. It's a similar cost to shipping & extender. Now if the stud dog is on another coast or too far to drive to, the semen is shipped obviously.

I also prefer Clone products. They're around a long time. I've heard good things about Camelot too. Some stud dog owners use Clone, others don't or won't. I've also heard of some breeders who swear by Mini Tube especially Chill 10 with egg. Maybe each batch is different or some girls don't tolerate it. Some research might be helpful if Mini Tube is willing to do so. A basic poll amongst breeders might be a good beginning.

Comments
I haven't personally had problems with Mini Tube but have heard about many others with small litters or misses that I finally made a decision. ~If~ the stud dog I'm using is within 7-8 hours driving distance maximum, I travel and do a side by side AI with fresh semen. Let me make it clear, I do not choose a stud dog because he's within driving distance. If he happens to be, I drive to him.

Heck, we drive up to & longer for some shows. The Potomac takes me 9 hours & other shows I attend are close to that. So why not drive for a fresh semen AI if it's workable for the bitch owner's schedule & distance? I'm aware many work outside of the home. I'm lucky I only work 3 half-days & can easily change my hours.

So, if the stud dog is within a reasonable distance I will drive it. I book a cheap, clean, dog friendly hotel room nearby unless I'm friends with the stud dogs owner. Then I stay there with an additional savings. If in a hotel, I check out & return for a 2-nd breeding the following day. I then drive home. It's a similar cost to shipping & extender. Now if the stud dog is on another coast or too far to drive to, the semen is shipped obviously.

I also prefer Clone products. They're around a long time. I've heard good things about Camelot too. Some stud dog owners use Clone, others don't or won't. I've also heard of some breeders who swear by Mini Tube especially Chill 10 with egg. Maybe each batch is different or some girls don't tolerate it. Some research might be helpful if Mini Tube is willing to do so. A basic poll amongst breeders might be a good beginning.

I'm going to do the same thing from now on ....DRIVE to the stud if it cn be arranged.
It's so worth it if you get puppies.
As I said no more mini tube for me ..ever!
I wish there was a way to conduct some sort of survey amoungst breeders and their exp. with mini tube.
If it had been 1 bitch that this was happening with then I would not be concerned but this is not the case.
Last breeding with mini tube was with my fertile myrtle so I know it's not the girls.
And it's not the boys either!

I happen to live near CLONE and have always used them. I don't use them because they live nearby but am lucky they are. Never a problem. They were recently sold to another vet practice and are much better organized with lots of office staff who are very attentive and understand breeders. Give them a try if you're looking.

We all check the semen when it arrives and the semen looks good so why wouldn't the amount of pups be the same as with Clone etc? Has anyone spoken to the Minitube company? Wouldn't the repro Vet know bout this and advise us not to use it? Afterall the repro's want large and no miss litters for us?

We all check the semen when it arrives and the semen looks good so why wouldn't the amount of pups be the same as with Clone etc? Has anyone spoken to the Minitube company? Wouldn't the repro Vet know bout this and advise us not to use it? Afterall the repro's want large and no miss litters for us?

I agree, have had misses for the first time ever and many with small litters. And also agree it looks okay out of the female. A breeder goes to so much expense, all expenses up now. FedEx out of sight. Might be easy for the stud dog owner but it is killing us. Stud dog owners need to be checking on this for all. Please !

Been a few years, but Camelot one breeding to colorado for Nor Cal 10 pups. Yes shipping expenses are just crazy.

Used Minitube for a few years now with my stud dog and he's sired normal litters - anywhere from 6 to 11 pups. Maybe if you're getting small litters from different studs you should test the bitch ( mycoplasm) and test your water if you have well water too.

I'm curious when folks started to see this trend. I only breed 1-2 litters a year, but have used the Mini-Tube chill 5 w/ 2 litters (2010 and 2011) and got 9 pups each time. Since I'm getting ready for another soon, I find this news a little alarming!

I noticed it about the last 24 months.
It's not the girl or boy in my case.
Something else is going way wrong.
We need more info in Mini Tube ....maybe they changed something?
Shipping is simply insane these days!!

My last litter one year ago was with Minitube and had 11 puppies. My litter the year before, also Minitube, 9 puppies and was an older bitch too.

Could it be that some stud dog owners new to using Mini Tube are not following the exact directions for Mini Tube preparation ? I've also had small to zero puppies in my litters where the stud dog owner sent me Mini Tube. I have had better luck doing side by sides in recent years.

As a stud dog owner, I can attest that we have shipped out to 4 different bitches using Minitube in the last 6 mos and all have conceived and had normal sized litters for that bitch...all have been between 6-8 puppies. Semen has always been in excellent condition when it arrived.

That said...it seems to me that I have read or heard that a cause for a miss could be a reaction by the bitch to a particular extender? I cannot remember where I saw this.

I asked my repro vet if a bitch can have a bad reaction to extender. He said he never had a case and would think it would be extremely rare.

We did a shipping with Mini Tube. Did progesterone and talked with a repro vet. The Repro vet said one breeding based on the bitches progesterone would be perfect and she would conceive. We got the semen in excellent condition and bred her... Two months later no puppies... We know it wasn't our bitch because she has had consistant litters of 4 and that is what we expected.

Talking with the stud dog owner they said the repro vet that collected and mixed the semen had mentioned that Mini Tube is extending well on the dogs but making the sperm not strong enough to penetrate the eggs...

That being said, I now know that not all vets use good progesterone testing centers. A good Repro vet knows which labs are dead on accurate as compared to a general practice vet who uses human testing labs.

That is also something to think about....

Glad to hear there are others with this issue but sorry to hear about all the misses when shipping is so darn expensive!

My last two shipments of my stud dog that I sent out resulted in 11 puppies and 9 puppies using Chill 5. My side to side breeding with the stud dog which I drove 6 hours one way resulted in 2 puppies.

anonbreeder
I asked my repro vet if a bitch can have a bad reaction to extender. He said he never had a case and would think it would be extremely rare.

The bitch does not have a "bad reaction" as in getting a rash or anything of that nature but reacts to the extender by mounting a defense against it and fails to conceive. This is not something that can be seen outwardly so it's not known how common this is.

They say the biggest cause of AI failures and small litters is poor timing if all else checks out. There's a window (range) when the eggs rippen and a window for how long the extended sperm survive, both windows have to be open at the same time for conception to take place. All eggs don't rippen in exactly 5 days.

The amount of eggs produced can be a factor too. Age, nutrition and light exposure can effect the number of eggs.

No problems here. Bred two bitches recently with chill 5. One had a normal sized litter, the other looks very big for only being this far along.

Also have studs and use chill 5. His last few litters have been 3, 9, 8, 11.

I'm sure the bitch owner with 3 pups would be willing to chime in here, but the bitch owner with 9 pups received extender from the same batch, same expiration date, only a week before.

I think sometimes things happen. Sometimes bitches don't have a ton of pups no matter what they did before. IMO - people are just looking for something to blame, when it's just life. Unpredictable and sometimes disappointing.

The only time one of my bitches has missed, it was a healthy girl who had two large litters previously. She was bred side by side to a dog with good semen who was used several times that month. All bitches bred to him using Chill 5 took and had 8 or more puppies. My bitch missed. Who do I blame there? The stud owner? I can't, that would be me. I saw the semen with my own two eyes and it looked great.

We had one of our boys being used a lot last year and not getting good results with chill 5 extended by me at home no litters or 1-2 pups
So we started using a repro vet who collects, analyzes, spins and extends with chill 10
Still NO puppies on 4 more bitches!
Semen looked more than fantastic on our end with full printed out analysis each time
Thats 8 collections!
Bitches all prog tested and inseminated by a vet on other end
Boy has never missed a bitch with fresh semen
Switched to another brand of extender and now we are getting normal litters again
Explain that

Yes
We had one of our boys being used a lot last year and not getting good results with chill 5 extended by me at home no litters or 1-2 pups
So we started using a repro vet who collects, analyzes, spins and extends with chill 10
Still NO puppies on 4 more bitches!
Semen looked more than fantastic on our end with full printed out analysis each time
Thats 8 collections!
Bitches all prog tested and inseminated by a vet on other end
Boy has never missed a bitch with fresh semen
Switched to another brand of extender and now we are getting normal litters again
Explain that
If everyone that has experienced this as you have several times discusses it, perhaps the manufacturer will need to figure out what is wrong with their Chill 5 extender.

I've heard similar stories from stud dog owners & other bitch owners. I've also heard things are fine about 50% of the time. If 50% of the use of Chill 5 isn't working, something is wrong!

I do not own a stud dog but as a bitch owner I currently travel if it's possible for side by side breeding to avoid Chill 5. I had a 9 hour trip to a particular dog but it was well worth it. I don't want to waste my time & money as well as the stud dog's owners.

We have used Minitube extender on our last 4 breedings. 2 different males. Semen was analysed as lots of active normal sperm all 4 collections. Upon arrival to the 4 different Repo vets the semen looked good with lots of active swimmers. Results with one male was 2 pups first breeding and no pups second breeding. The other male also was first breeding 2 pups and the second breeding no pups. These males are bred natural with 7-9 pup litters here at the kennel I am suspicious that the sperm looks good upon arrival but too weak to penetrate the egg. The breedings were 4 different Repo vets in 4 different states. Hard to believe all 4 are doing something wrong.

Just did a breeding, the stud dog owner had me ship the chill 5 extender from mini tube. I have never used it before. My girl did not get pregnant. The semen looked great when received. Did all the pg testing at my vet and did 2 AI's on my girl with pg results showing high teens and low 20's and the breeding did not take. I bred this girl before with different stud shipped and AI she had conceived 10 puppies. I don't know about this time, something was off.

Quote: That being said, I now know that not all vets use good progesterone testing centers. A good Repro vet knows which labs are dead on accurate as compared to a general practice vet who uses human testing labs. Unquote

This made me chuckle because I have a lab that is dead on accurate. He is only interested in the girls those couple of days when the girls are ready.

Chill 10 user for giving and getting stud service no problems

Same here
Just did a breeding, the stud dog owner had me ship the chill 5 extender from mini tube. I have never used it before. My girl did not get pregnant. The semen looked great when received. Did all the pg testing at my vet and did 2 AI's on my girl with pg results showing high teens and low 20's and the breeding did not take. I bred this girl before with different stud shipped and AI she had conceived 10 puppies. I don't know about this time, something was off.
Besides the level being upper teens, lo 20's what days post ovulation was she bred? The no.'s are important the timing is even more important. Ovulation is 5 to 10 but most breeders and repro's use 5 ng per ml as ovulation. FSH is 2. Breeding is then 2 & 3 days post ovulation or days 2 & 4 days post ovulation. If there is 1 breeding, I use day 2 to 3, usually late date 2. Some breeders feel day 3 post 5 ng per ml is the magic no. I tend to agree.

That might be late for your girl, it can be trial & error or something else went wrong. Have you had her cultured by a repro for any infections? I don't recommend just giving antibiotics without the vet saying it's needed. I hope she becomes pregnant for the next breeding.

Something no-one mentioned. Are you inseminating it cold or are you warming it to room temperature. There is no need to warm it, let it warm within your girl if your repro agrees. If she or he tells you to warm it, you might want to find a new repro Dr. It's absolutel not necessary to warm the chilled seme, especially in the warmer weather.

Was Anything different this breeding then the breeding that she conceived 10 puppies? Rack your brain, something must be different. Was she ill with a stomach virus? Anything? Was it the same extender, repro, pipette & timing?

She was checked by vet for infections and she was put on cipro. This was the same as her last breeding. One thing I come up with is her heat cycle was a little different then the normal. She came in early, did not bleed as heavy as she usually does and I did not see the same usual swelling. Her pg #'s did fluctuate a little it when up, dropped a little and then went back up. I have questioned if she was bred one day later than she should have been. Still from the time her pg was a 5 we were still within the range of 3 days after. This was not the same extender as used the last time. Last time, we used chill 10. On her last breeding when she conceived the 10 pups, her pg#'s were also in the high teens and low 20's so that is why I don't know what is different this time other than what I have already mentioned.

Timing
Same here
Besides the level being upper teens, lo 20's what days post ovulation was she bred? The no.'s are important the timing is even more important. Ovulation is 5 to 10 but most breeders and repro's use 5 ng per ml as ovulation. FSH is 2. Breeding is then 2 & 3 days post ovulation or days 2 & 4 days post ovulation. If there is 1 breeding, I use day 2 to 3, usually late date 2. Some breeders feel day 3 post 5 ng per ml is the magic no. I tend to agree.

That might be late for your girl, it can be trial & error or something else went wrong. Have you had her cultured by a repro for any infections? I don't recommend just giving antibiotics without the vet saying it's needed. I hope she becomes pregnant for the next breeding.

Something no-one mentioned. Are you inseminating it cold or are you warming it to room temperature. There is no need to warm it, let it warm within your girl if your repro agrees. If she or he tells you to warm it, you might want to find a new repro Dr. It's absolutel not necessary to warm the chilled seme, especially in the warmer weather.

Was Anything different this breeding then the breeding that she conceived 10 puppies? Rack your brain, something must be different. Was she ill with a stomach virus? Anything? Was it the same extender, repro, pipette & timing?

I always warm up under arm pit for 15 min then insert. Yes you can insert cold but both ways work well.

Same here
She was checked by vet for infections and she was put on cipro. This was the same as her last breeding. One thing I come up with is her heat cycle was a little different then the normal. She came in early, did not bleed as heavy as she usually does and I did not see the same usual swelling. Her pg #'s did fluctuate a little it when up, dropped a little and then went back up. I have questioned if she was bred one day later than she should have been. Still from the time her pg was a 5 we were still within the range of 3 days after. This was not the same extender as used the last time. Last time, we used chill 10. On her last breeding when she conceived the 10 pups, her pg#'s were also in the high teens and low 20's so that is why I don't know what is different this time other than what I have already mentioned.
Sounds as if the main difference is the extender. Chill 10 the last litter, Chill 5 the miss. Maybe it's best to use Chill 10 for her knowing she didn't have a problem with it.

What infection did they give her Cipro for? Cipro is a potent antibiotic for touger bacterias so I'm projecting it was something the repro wanted cleared up with larger guns.

We always do surgical Implants with fresh chilled semen and have never missed once out of the last 8 breeding. Largest litter 13 and the smallest litter was 8. For the most part we have only used Mini tube chill 5 except for a few stud dog owners that only use clone. We always get the results of what the semen looks like when it arrives and if I got bad result I would be on the phone with the stud do owner to try and figure this out. We try and have the semen collected and shipped the same day and then sent overnight to be used the next morning. Like someone else stated your repro vet should know the semen is not good before the breeding takes place. So if the semen is good before the breeding in my opinion the extender or semen isn't the issue.

Bree Der
We always do surgical Implants with fresh chilled semen and have never missed once out of the last 8 breeding. Largest litter 13 and the smallest litter was 8. For the most part we have only used Mini tube chill 5 except for a few stud dog owners that only use clone. We always get the results of what the semen looks like when it arrives and if I got bad result I would be on the phone with the stud do owner to try and figure this out. We try and have the semen collected and shipped the same day and then sent overnight to be used the next morning. Like someone else stated your repro vet should know the semen is not good before the breeding takes place. So if the semen is good before the breeding in my opinion the extender or semen isn't the issue.
If I had to do surgical implants on my girls to achieve a pregnancy with chilled semen, I would throw in the hat. I can see doing them for frozen semen or if the bitch doesn't conceive easily but just to do them to try to insure pregnancy because you obviously don't trust chilled, no way. It's the same as doing a c-section for every delivery to be sure you don't lose 1 puppy, that's as long as your vet knows what they're doing.

There is only 1 other breeder who I know always does surgical implants. I have respect for them in all other ways but once again, I wouldn't do it.

I haven't missed in well over 17 years without doing even 1 surgical. Sure, many were side by sides and 2 completely natural breedings with ties, especially back in the day. For frozen semen we have used transcervical and had 2 litters of 8 with 2 different girls and different boys that were frozen before they passed. I do try to drive to a stud dog for side-by-side inseminations if it's not halfway across the country. I bring home another collection, chilled just in case I want to do 1 more insemination based on the last progesterone level I do before leaving for wherever the stud-dog is. If I don't drive, Chill 10 or Clone is normally used and I had no problems. Litters were no smaller than 9.

You're doing what you want. It's just something I would never do on a regular basis. We're each entitled to our different opinions.