Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recent LQ ads

I just got my recent LQ. I am thrilled to see so many terrific ads. We've caught up with other breeds who have been doing those for years. Bravo. The person who spent the most money however missed the mark. That should be a knockout photo and not have writing across the dog. :-/

Re: Recent LQ ads

Critiquer
I just got my recent LQ. I am thrilled to see so many terrific ads. We've caught up with other breeds who have been doing those for years. Bravo. The person who spent the most money however missed the mark. That should be a knockout photo and not have writing across the dog. :-/
Is it the photographer's signature or something else?

Yes I think its the signature but its right smack dab on the dog with a whole lot of background all around it. Looks terrible and you can't tell much about the dog from the photo. People should either pay to advertise a really nice side stacked photo or a good head portrait. And definitely save their money when it comes to baby puppies. Silly really.

She is referring to the cover. Petty.

What a rude and unnecessary comment to make about the cover photo. Whatever happened to "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all?"

That would be our Rogue!

I'm making an educated guess that you are talking about Rogue.

For what it's worth, the cover was originally reserved and meant to be ours back in 2009 for my first "real" show dog, Monty, but shortly after we showed at Westminster that year (and made it down to the final group out of which BOB was chosen!), Monty ended up sterile so we didn't think it would be the wisest decision to put him on the cover. That and the fact that Hoflin accidently gave away our spot that year (we were able to produce the e-mails stating we had it reserved) made it easy to postpone until 2012. Things all happen for a reason.

I didn't even have another dog to show until early in 2011 when Rogue came into our lives. He has been such a blessing to us- such a wonderful, sweet, gentle and beautiful dog... and he fell into being a beloved family member and house dog like it was what he was born to be! Now, in addition to being a MBISS (3 so far this year at the age of 3 years), group winner/placer (all owner-handled), and GCH (working toward performance titles), and producing some beautiful puppies, he just became a registered therapy dog through Delta Society. I'm pretty proud of him.

Not that I have to explain, but my aim for the cover was not necessarily to advertise the dog but more to provide a more artistic cover photo that would not only be beautiful but also be more interesting than "just another stacked shot" or "just another headshot" of a labrador...though there is nothing that says "just another" about this dog or his head for those who have seen him in person, LOL.

I have received (until now) nothing but rave reviews and even thanks from Hoflin, our labrador friends and family, and others who were excited to see something a little different on the cover. I think after Bryan's signature was cut off by a publisher on another shot in a different publication, he wanted to ensure it stayed on this one. I have never been crazy about signatures over the subject of the photo, but his signature is pretty darned cool and well-deserved, and it didn't really cover up anything important on an otherwise pretty much purely artistic, beautiful shot, so I don't honestly think it looks bad at all. Bryan is relatively new to the world of dog photography, and he has really been doing an absolutely fantastic job. We shot for something "different" in the ad on page 5 (Sanja did a wonderful job with that ad!) as well... again, not just another headshot or stacked shot. If someone wants to see a head/stacked shot, they can go to our website or ask. It was fun to do something a bit more eye-catching for this issue.

Thank you for the feedback! I am incredibly happy and very, very proud to have another gorgeous, wonderful labrador in my life thanks to my "labrador family." It was an honor to be able to have one of my special boys (both of whom are stretched out at my feet right now in our living room) bless the cover of the LQ Stud Dog Issue this year.

-Julie

Unnecessary
What a rude and unnecessary comment to make about the cover photo. Whatever happened to "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all?"

Dear, you don't know how this forum works. Do you?

Re: That would be our Rogue!

Julie, I usually don't get on the forum but after I heard this comment was made I would just wanted to say to "Critiquer", what a joke! Must be very insecure and does not know good art work when she sees it. Any good artist will sign their work! As for Rogue, anyone who has seen him knows what a beautiful boy he is and how very well balanced he is. Julie, kudos to you for wanting something different and unique! Pictures don't lie. This is gorgeous work of a gorgeous dog. My husband just laughed about the "critique". I think we may have some sour grapes or some serious insecurity issues. My husband said I didn't need to make a comment, but I'm proud to put my name on my post.

Two show dogs. Both champions, one goes to Westminister and one MBISS. Both are living in your home at your feet--no years of going through and placing beloved dogs who didn't work out to make room for that new prospect. No spending thousands on handlers to give your dog an edge when it turns out your abilities in the ring aren't want you hoped. No years of studying pedigrees and going to specialities to see potential studs in hopes of picking just the right one to improve on your girl who was 3rd pick but you were lucky to get her.

I agree. It was jealousy

I can't say that their first dog, Monty, going sterile is not as disspointing as so many of the other things you mentioned.

As the breeder of Julie's first show dog, Monty, who BTW is also a multiple specialty and BISS winner as well, I feel a need to chime in here. Yes, Julie got the benefit of my hard work, but at that time I was not able to keep another male. So if not for Julie, Monty would have been placed in a pet home, along with many other males I have bred who could have been show puppies. Julie was able to take Monty to his full potential, not only was he successful in breed competition but he also has obedience and hunt test titles as well, she did more with him than I ever would have done. I did not need to feed him, I just wanted his semen, and she wanted a dog to compete with, so it was a win win situation for both of us! And it was also devastating for both of us when he went sterile, as I had plans to use him and Julie had not had a chance to get him frozen yet. So yes, Julie has been very lucky in some ways, but she has also put a lot of money and work into what she has achieved with her boys and has had some heart aches along the way. I have not received my LQ yet, but I am looking forward to seeing what I hear is a beautiful ad with Rogue!

Julie - it takes talent, time and energy to build what you did. Any jackass can kick down a barn door!!!
You don't have to justify anything - we have eyes...

When you actually take the time to talk to them or learn their story, you will find that MOST have spent a lot of time and money, and shed a lot of tears along the way, to get to where they are now.

Unnecessary

Y'all ain't from 'round here, are ya?

Julie:

Both the cover and ad are beautiful. Please don't let anyone's mean comments get you down or make you defensive. Both of your boys are handsome and best of all, you love them.

Signature? What signature? What first caught my eye was a fine example of a Labrador Retriever. I can attest from watching Julie show Rogue at SVLRC and other CA specialties, he definitely has what it takes: head, coat, tail, movement and temperament, all there and then some. Julie, good work showing this boy to his full potential.

Congrats Julie and Rogue! Good things always happen to good people

Tania says pictures don't lie? Well that is just not true in todays world of Photoshop. Anything can be changed in a photo these days, and I mean ANYTHING!

Been There
Tania says pictures don't lie? Well that is just not true in todays world of Photoshop. Anything can be changed in a photo these days, and I mean ANYTHING!

Which is one of (several) reasons why breeding to pictures in a magazine is not a great idea. I have friends who are not interested in breeding to local (and this is a major metropolitan area with many top breeders) dogs because they have seen them and are not all that excited by them - either the movement is not what they want, they are too big/too small, etc. They will, however, readily breed to a dog they have never seen in person but whose pictures they like - I have never figured that one out other than people will hope that some miracle will take place. I think breeding to a dog that lives elsewhere is fine as long as one has actually seen him, his get or knows someone they trust who has.

Pictures are what get people interested, but there is nothing like putting one's hands on the dog, watching them move (some dogs look lovely standing but move erratically), observing them work, getting an overall feel for temperament, etc. Seeing the offspring in person is also a good idea. I always am amazed that people will spend a fortune showing their dogs and raising a litter but invest so little effort into ensuring the stud dog is a good match for their bitch and is what they think he is (by the pics).

I do very well with photoshop and I would easily breed to a dog I haven't seen in person. I would if I am familiar with his pedigree. Afterall you are breeding to all of the dogs behind him, not just him.

Mort
I do very well with photoshop and I would easily breed to a dog I haven't seen in person. I would if I am familiar with his pedigree. Afterall you are breeding to all of the dogs behind him, not just him.

Ron please stop using the name Mort! LOL
This all stems from another woman that wishes she was involved in the picture taking.
She calls herself a photographer but whatever.
Always jealous and mean. Careful.

I am very much a female last time I looked(not Ron).

Verify
Been There

Which is one of (several) reasons why breeding to pictures in a magazine is not a great idea. I have friends who are not interested in breeding to local (and this is a major metropolitan area with many top breeders) dogs because they have seen them and are not all that excited by them - either the movement is not what they want, they are too big/too small, etc. They will, however, readily breed to a dog they have never seen in person but whose pictures they like - I have never figured that one out other than people will hope that some miracle will take place. I think breeding to a dog that lives elsewhere is fine as long as one has actually seen him, his get or knows someone they trust who has.

Pictures are what get people interested, but there is nothing like putting one's hands on the dog, watching them move (some dogs look lovely standing but move erratically), observing them work, getting an overall feel for temperament, etc. Seeing the offspring in person is also a good idea. I always am amazed that people will spend a fortune showing their dogs and raising a litter but invest so little effort into ensuring the stud dog is a good match for their bitch and is what they think he is (by the pics).
I tend to agree and it's the main reason I attend The Potomac and othr large specialties. I like to see the dogs I'm interested in and put my hands on him if the owner allows.

Magazines help spark my interest so I will ask a stud dog owner where he will be shown in the next 6 to 12 mo. That's a good reason to plan ahead.

Mort

There are plenty of dogs with good pedigrees that cannot move, cannot produce, have no work ethic, etc. That is why it is important to evaluate not only the pedigree but the dog itself (and what he has produced, although the tendency to breed to 8-12 month puppies these days makes it difficult). A lot of people easily breed to dogs they have not seen - does not mean the dog is what they think it is.

Really? Thanks for that insight.

I have looked at my LQ and I really can't see what everyone is talking about. The cover has a signature on the body but I don't see anything else that looks like it hinders the photo, or interferes with the dog. Where's the problem? Are ya'll being overly picky?

BEAUTIFUL dog (love Rogue), beautiful picture but the signature does distract. Never put a signature on the subject unless the subject fills the entire page. I see other photos in the LQ where a signature isn't cropped out. I guess the solution is to not put a signature on the edge of a photo but certainly don't put it on the subject either.

From an artistic point of view the signature as it was placed makes the artwork unbalanced. If the signature had to be on the dog then the picture should have been cropped so it wasn't so close to the center of the page (awkward).

Mort
Afterall you are breeding to all of the dogs behind him, not just him.

Really? Thanks for the insight.

While you all are complaining about the front cover, has anyone looked at some of the ads on the inside? Yikes!!!!

My thoughts exactly.....Wowzer! Some people need better glasses or a MENTOR!

While you all are complaining about the front cover, has anyone looked at some of the ads on the inside? Yikes!!!!

Just got my LQ today. I LOVE the cover photo! Great composition showing the nice head and expression of the dog. Honestly you people pick apart everything. Give it a rest for pete's sake. Julie your ad is one of the better ones I have seen over the years of getting the LQ. Good job!

Now that is just plain mean! Didn't your Mother teach you any manners? People love their dogs and are proud of the accomplishments they have gotten with them. If they want to place an ad I say good for them. We all started somewhere (although clearly you started at the top).If you don't like their dog then flip the page.

Their toying with you people. It's a game. Just don't add to their fodder.

exhibitor

still waiting for my issue to arrive. I hate that you have to wait 30 days before letting them know.

I don't understand why it takes that long to get it. I advertised in the stud/get issue last August and I was not happy with how my ad came out. I skipped advertising this time.

I finally got my LQ today.

Finally got my LQ yesterday! I like the cover - beautiful setting for a Labrador.