Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NLR - Dog Food Safety Concern

My friend has a 3 year old Norwich Terrier who recently became seriously ill with hemorrhagic gastritis. She never suspected his dog food. He had to be on a special diet as he recovered; and once he started back on his regular food, he got sick again. She is positive the dog food caused this. She called the company and asked them about recalls. They said they hadn't gotten any complaints. I think she should report her concerns to the FDA. Is there any other place to report concerns over suspected bad dog food?

Re: NLR - Dog Food Safety Concern

That is a tough one, since too much fat too soon after a GI illness or glutens or other ingredients can cause sensitivities in individuals. Small dogs are more prone to HGE. What food was he on? The site, TruthaboutPetFood.com, might be a place to seek some answers or advice.
http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/report-a-pet-foodtreat-adverse-event.html

Thanks for the link. I passed it along to my friend. She was feeding Nature's Instinct beef kibble. She was also feeding their chicken and beef raw, but she feels the kibble was the problem. She switched to a home made raw diet recommended by Nature's Farmacy, and her dog is thriving. She still has the food she feels sickened her dog, and she plans to pursue reporting it. Thanks again for the link.

If you are talking about Natures Variety Prairie Beef, there was a recall for this in July due to an off odor.

Her dog was very sick so I think it was more than an off smell. I'll pass that information along to her. Thanks for the help!!