Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potty box

Has anyone ever tried using kitty liter in their puppy potty box?

Re: Potty box

Makes a huge mess.

No, we love horse stall pellets from TSC.

Some kitty litter expands when wet. If they eat it you will have a huge problem.

paper pelleted cat litter Re: Potty box

It depends what cat litter you use. You do NOT want to use a clumping cat litter, as puppies ingest things, and that glues things up inside them, so to speak. I wouldn't use any clay based product, as I am told that even the old style Hartz has clumping chemicals in it, and it is not longer what I used to get decades ago, that is for sure. I used the Purina litter (doglitter.com) for a couple Cavalier litters. It is better inside the house than shavings, which fly everywhere in warm weather with the AC and fans going. However, the dog litter is too big for little Cavalier pups (4 weeks), so I switched to the cat litter, Yesterdays News, which is a smaller pelleted newspaper litter. Neither is perfect. The smaller pellets on the Yesterdays News are also promoted for small pocket pets. Yes, the puppies do chew on it--or anything else. I would suggest that you have tiny, dampened or soaked kibble out when introducing it so that they can learn the difference.

http://www.yesterdaysnews.com/

I'm really happy with equine fresh from tractor supply

nicole
I'm really happy with equine fresh from tractor supply
Are those pine pellets? If not what are they made from before I take a 1 hour drive to Tractor Suppy.

Thank you in advance for suggestions where and what type of store to purchase a pine pellet for a potty box. A feed store, TS or somewhere else? It's not readily available close to me.

Some
Some kitty litter expands when wet. If they eat it you will have a huge problem.
They have chemicals in most kitty litter to control the scent in cat urine. CAUTION with puppies!

I've been using Carefresh and have been really happy with it. The puppies never tried to eat it, there is no smell, and they have been reliably using the potty box since I put it in the pen at 4 weeks. Can't beat that!

Breeeeder
I've been using Carefresh and have been really happy with it. The puppies never tried to eat it, there is no smell, and they have been reliably using the potty box since I put it in the pen at 4 weeks. Can't beat that!

My Petsmart charges about $23 for a bag that would only last me 2 days : ( Any tips on where to find cheaper?

I did a potty box for my last litter and was so happy with it. At first I used the paper pellets that I got from my local feed store that is for animal bedding. A 40# bag was around $12 and lasted for about 4-5 days. It worked really good but when they are wet they are very heavy and my garbage filled quickly. I switched to pine shavings (a large bale was about $8) and although messier was just as easy to clean up and my garbage was much less. Not only less waste but a bale of shavings lasted me about 3 wks. I will use pine shavings for my next litter. Good Luck

$$$
Breeeeder

My Petsmart charges about $23 for a bag that would only last me 2 days : ( Any tips on where to find cheaper?

I always like to read these threads about potty boxes because I'm not completely happy with shavings, equine fresh pellets or artificial turf. The pellets are messy too, they leave dust everywhere and I think the puppies track out the broken down pellets with their feet. Overall the pellets seemed to make more of a mess than shavings, it just didn't look as messy.

I want to try the carefresh next time, a bag might last longer than you think but I never tried it so I can't say for sure. When I first tried EF pellets I found out I was using way too much and wasted a lot.

Artificial turf works excellent with very young puppies but as the puppies get bigger and produce more urine the turf needs frequent washing or it starts to smell, rinsing isn't enough. The turf takes forever to dry. I started out with 1 large pet park indoor potty system and got another so one could dry while I used the other. When my large litter started growing I needed to use both at the same time and washing them became an issue. They might work better if you have a small litter.

We used to use pine shavings, got to be expensive, difficult to dispose of, and of course messy! Shavings everywhere and the dust just doesn't come off the wall! Another breeder told us to get some unprinted shredded newspaper. Works excellent! It does create a little dust but not much. We got the unprinted paper from a cardboard recycling company in NH. They sell 100 lb bags for $10. It last for the entire duration, with some leftover. We empty the box and dump the paper in the words. Within a week or two it has all degraded!

I'm sorry I haven't been on here for a while. This stuff is terrific and works for the larger dogs too. It's made for horses to keep down the odor.

They will pee on it and it's non toxic. You may get away with putting this in one section of the shaving or what ever you use. I do! It makes cleaning a breeze!

http://www.sweetpdz.com/