Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AOH class

Has anyone seen dogs put up from this class? I know we've talked about it before but I can't remember what folks think of it.

I have a just under 2 y/o male that I show. I am trying to find a nice class to show him in...BBE, Am Bred, AOH or Open.

He's gotten reserve out of BBE before.

Re: AOH class

me
Has anyone seen dogs put up from this class? I know we've talked about it before but I can't remember what folks think of it.

I have a just under 2 y/o male that I show. I am trying to find a nice class to show him in...BBE, Am Bred, AOH or Open.

He's gotten reserve out of BBE before.

would hope the dog is put up because of his merits, not class you show in.

I was thinking the same thing. Some people are reluctant to try a new class, but if your dog is the best dog, the AOH class should not hold him back. I think we all need to give this class a try so it will gain more acceptance.

Yes it does happen... Winners Bitch at Jersey Skylands Specialty on Friday was from the AOH Class. She took a 4pt Major..

No she was from the Novice class, not AOH. She was being shown by Kathy Mines, who is certainly not an amateur!

You are correct (my mistake).. I know a gentleman handled her for WB (Not Kathy) so kept thinking it was AOH.

I agree on the merit thing, but sometimes I wonder if getting a second chance to be looked at might help.

Say the dog is in a large BBE class and out of that class doesn't get picked because the judge maybe liked another dog a little better...maybe at that time your dog happened to sit or act like a fool during it's turn or maybe something went on in the ring next door...

But in a small class where he's the only one, gets the first, and gets a chance to be seen again....

With his age, he usually looks young among the older dogs in BBE and I wonder if putting him alone in AOH will give him a better chance to shine.

It's probably like rooting for your favorite foot ball team, you wear the jersey, you spin around 10x and paint your face blue, all to ensure your team wins! :)

I would have to protest to the AKC if that "gentlemen" was in AOH since he has more than once been ringside soliciting handling for pay

The Flip Side
You are correct (my mistake).. I know a gentleman handled her for WB (Not Kathy) so kept thinking it was AOH.

to compete in the winners class - you need not be the BBE or AOH - someone else may show the dog

He was just helping Kathy out, because she had 3 bitches in winners, all owned by the same breeder I might add!

I have used a class that I expected to be smaller entry wise for a dog that needs a little more experience, one that's not quite mature enough,and for one that gets bored easily instead of entering a larger entry open class.
The judge will find their winner from whichever class they are entered in. Select the best class that suits your dog and most importantly Have Fun :)

Thanks all. I have a handful of shows coming up before I enter the one I was talking about. I'll see how he fares and then make my decision. I have him in Open coming up as I have other dogs in other classes.

My understanding was that the AOH had to show the dog in Winner's etc - that you were not able to switch out handlers for that class but you are for BBE .. I was told that by an AKC rep who was showing at a Specialty after I'd won the AOH class ...

Actually if you read the AKC rules on this class, it ONLY states that the dog must be shown by amateur in the class. Does not state who takes it in for winners.

Actually if you read the AKC rules on this class, it ONLY states that the dog must be shown by amateur in the class. Does not state who takes it in for winners.

Yes, "Winners" is a different class. So is Best of Breed. That's the same reason someone else can show a BBE dog in Winners or BOB. An exception would be special events like the Eukanuba, where the breeder/handler is eligible for special awards but must handle the dog throughout.

Update, the word Amateur is being dropped from the class. Now it is Owner Handler.

Does that mean the OH can also be a professional handler?

No, rules haven't changed. Guess too many people were offended by the word Amateur.

Just to set things straight, the bitch that went WB was NOT shown in the AOH class, she was in Novice.
Anyone could have taken her into Winners.

I once saw a dog win a 4 pt major out of the AOH class. He was handled by a breeder with one dog in Open, one in BBE, one in Am Bred, and she needed another class. Her boy looked very good and no one was bothered by the fact that he came out of the AOH class at all.