Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Quickest way to heal a paw pad

Girl which I am sending out next week to a specialty has a torn pad:( Not sure how she did it, she was getting her bedtime snack of an apple in our little orchard, and came back limping. One pad has a small tear. I soaked it in epsom salt and put triple antibiotic ointment on it. Was going to get bag balm today as that is what we usually use. She is a chewer, won't keep a bootie on.

Anyone have a treatment which you swear by for healing paw pad? Do you think we can get it healed enough to show within 6 days?

Re: Quickest way to heal a paw pad

We are going in for laser this morning, will wrap and put a collar on her so she can't chew.

Other ideas still wanted.

We went to the vet and had the wound looked at carefully under bright light - a sever abrasion on 2 pads. One very visible other pad underneath. It's already infected! I've never had an infected pad area. Also, she showed no signs yesterday am, but vet thinks it had to be there more than 1 day :(.

In addition to the laser treatment, we are doing epsom salt soaks and giving an oral antibiotic. She also has an Elizabethan collar on to stop the licking. I've never had a paw go bad so fast!

Ouch
We went to the vet and had the wound looked at carefully under bright light - a sever abrasion on 2 pads. One very visible other pad underneath. It's already infected! I've never had an infected pad area. Also, she showed no signs yesterday am, but vet thinks it had to be there more than 1 day :(.

In addition to the laser treatment, we are doing epsom salt soaks and giving an oral antibiotic. She also has an Elizabethan collar on to stop the licking. I've never had a paw go bad so fast!

Thanks for filling us in. My girl cuts up her carpal pad when she swims off a rocky shore, but she doesn't have to put weight on them - fortunately, so I keep an eye on them and leave them alone.

It's great that you got the problem checked out by the vet, and that you were already on the right track with the Epsom Salt soak.

I hope she will be back to normal soon! You'd better check out what she could have stood on by your apple tree!

There is a horse product called icthammol-it is a drawing agent and can take pain out of anything- soak your pups foot in a betadine/water warm water bath for 5 minutes or so, dry and apply this product and place a kids tube sock on her- duct tape higher up. The betadine will help with the infection and the icthammol will help with the soreness & oral antibiotics will do the rest. In our experience, they're good to go in a few days.

Hi, first I am from a foreign country it will explain my awful English. If her pad is infected the most important to keep it clean and dry all the time. Bacteria grows in warm moist places the best. My dog had a dog bite on his face, i washed with antibacterial soap( same what my vet use) every 2-3 hours, made it bone dry with cool dryer and did put on antiseptic powder. It needs a lot of time and to be patient but it works( for me at least) Even without antibiotyc pills. I try to avoid to give him. If you give it, give her at every feeding a teespoon youghurt with the active culture in it. Cabot greek plain yoghurt is very good, it will save the good bacterias . I hope It will help.

Good luck

Tulazuveghegyen
Hi, first I am from a foreign country it will explain my awful English. If her pad is infected the most important to keep it clean and dry all the time. Bacteria grows in warm moist places the best. My dog had a dog bite on his face, i washed with antibacterial soap( same what my vet use) every 2-3 hours, made it bone dry with cool dryer and did put on antiseptic powder. It needs a lot of time and to be patient but it works( for me at least) Even without antibiotyc pills. I try to avoid to give him. If you give it, give her at every feeding a teespoon youghurt with the active culture in it. Cabot greek plain yoghurt is very good, it will save the good bacterias . I hope It will help.

Good luck
All good suggestions. Warm moist areas tend to create fungal infections. Remember that dog bites infect faster because their teeth have bacteria on them even when scaled or brushed often. Fast healing for the OP's dog. Tulaz, you have some great home remedies. It's better to avoid antibiotics if it's possible and acidopholous in yogurt or the capsules are good for dogs or people on antibiotics. =